cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4090 rog strix oc no video output after reboot, unless removing all power for a min

somewede
Level 7
Got a ROG Strix GeForce RTX® 4090 OC Edition 24GB GDDR6X today and i'm using it with Gigabyte X570S AORUS MASTER (rev. 1.0) motherboard. Latest bios.

Been gaming for prollly 5hrs nonstop and then rebooted PC. Led light on the GPU when PC is off but it's not giving any display output when i try to boot up the PC again, unless i remove power completely for a minute or so.. Then i boots up normally with video on the display. Anyone else know why this is? Bios failure or the card?

Using 2000w EVGA 80+ Gold PSU, Gskill CL14 3600MHz Ryzen 5950x. Tried resetting CMOS but nope. So gotta remove power completely every time i'm going to restart the system..
74 REPLIES 74

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi somewede,
Thank you for your checking.
If your graphics card is ROG Strix GeForce RTX® 4090 OC Edition 24GB GDDR6X, have you updated VBIOS RTX4090_V1 but still have the same issue?
https://rog.asus.com/graphics-cards/graphics-cards/rog-strix/rog-strix-rtx4090-o24g-gaming-model/hel...
Thank you.

updated vbios but sadly it didn't help at all ;/ have to reseat the GPU to make it boot when removing power doesn't do the trick too. ;/ When vbios updated the screen flashed several times and windows played their classic sound when a device gets disconnected.. Well, after it didn't boot up from the reboot after flashing vbios, i had to remove power when pc was off. When i came into windows after 1min it played that same sound, like something disconnected. Weird. Didn't do that before, but might not mean anything either. x/

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi somewede,
Thank you for your checking.
If your graphics card is ROG Strix GeForce RTX® 4090 OC Edition 24GB GDDR6X, have you updated VBIOS RTX4090_V1 but still have the same issue?
https://rog.asus.com/graphics-cards/graphics-cards/rog-strix/rog-strix-rtx4090-o24g-gaming-model/hel...
Thank you.

Applied it this morning. After the update, my comptuer rebooted and Windows didn't recognize the card. Had to re-install my nVidia drivers. Rebooted again and got no display. Forced a restart and it came back. So, no change. This sucks.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi somewede,
Is the qcode on the motherboard still A9 and green light on when you encounter no video output issue after vbios update? and the issue occurrence frequency still 9 of 10?
May I have the following information?
- the serial number of the motherboard and graphics card via pm
- the brand and model name of your RAM, PSU, and OS drive
(Please check the specific model name of RMA like G.SKILL F5-7800J3848H16GX2-TZ5RS.
- graphics driver version
- Which PCIE slot do you install the graphics card?
- OS version and OS build
- a screenshot of VBIOS version in GPU-Tweak-III(GPU-Z)
- a video of the issue(no video output after restart and have to kill the power to PSU)
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi somewede,
Is the qcode on the motherboard still A9 and green light on when you encounter no video output issue after vbios update? and the issue occurrence frequency still 9 of 10?
(Please check the specific model name of RMA like G.SKILL F5-7800J3848H16GX2-TZ5RS.
- a video of the issue(no video output after restart and have to kill the power to PSU)
Thank you.

Yes sir. I'm doing it right now. And yes, A9 green light, same as before 😮 give me 5 mins and i PM all info.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi somewede,
Thank you.

All of the requested info is in your inbox! Thank you!

Hello, I had similar issues to yours when I had 3090.
Thats not the reason I upgraded to 4090 TUF OC, but I had the "some times black screen on reboot".

So I tried a lot of stuff, but my findings where that I had multiple issues:
1) The PCI-E riser cable I was using, did not work properly with higher than X3 speed, so I had to set this to X3 in bios
2) It turned out one of my memory sticks was bad, so a lot of times I had to clear CMOS to be able to get any picture on my screen

So I will therefore if you have a riser cable, recommend you to set link speed to X3.
Also I recommend you to run just one memory stick. If it doesent improve, I suggest you try running one of the other memory sticks.

It is also important that when you do this testing, do not set any XMP profiles or do any overclocking of memory or CPU.
Especially overclocking the memory, all hands off OC when you are looking for culprits.

My memory was high quality G.Skill tridentZ neo for 3600 Mhz, so it could run 1:1, but it was just one of them beeing bad.

Olavxxx wrote:
Hello, I had similar issues to yours when I had 3090.
Thats not the reason I upgraded to 4090 TUF OC, but I had the "some times black screen on reboot".

So I tried a lot of stuff, but my findings where that I had multiple issues:
1) The PCI-E riser cable I was using, did not work properly with higher than X3 speed, so I had to set this to X3 in bios
2) It turned out one of my memory sticks was bad, so a lot of times I had to clear CMOS to be able to get any picture on my screen

So I will therefore if you have a riser cable, recommend you to set link speed to X3.
Also I recommend you to run just one memory stick. If it doesent improve, I suggest you try running one of the other memory sticks.

It is also important that when you do this testing, do not set any XMP profiles or do any overclocking of memory or CPU.
Especially overclocking the memory, all hands off OC when you are looking for culprits.

My memory was high quality G.Skill tridentZ neo for 3600 Mhz, so it could run 1:1, but it was just one of them beeing bad.

Thanks but i don't use a riser cable and i've tested the card in 3 different PC's. Same on all 3 😕

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi somewede,
I saw you mentioned "Solved mine by switching mobo to Asus ProArt B550 Creator."
Is the same no video output issue after reboot whether you use ProArt B550 Creator, Gigabyte X570S AORUS MASTER (rev. 1.0) or ROG Maximus Z790 Hero motherboards?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi somewede,
I saw you mentioned "Solved mine by switching mobo to Asus ProArt B550 Creator."
Is the same no video output issue after reboot whether you use ProArt B550 Creator, Gigabyte X570S AORUS MASTER (rev. 1.0) or ROG Maximus Z790 Hero motherboards?
Thank you.

Hi, i thought it worked when i switched because i tried to reboot 6-7 times and it all booted. Then it didn't work the next day so i bought new z790 + intel and .. its not working there either. It's not working on either of the 3 boards even tho B550 one had most success of booting it up.

So to clear things up: No, it's still not working on any of the 3 mobos iv'e tried, even after vbios update 😞 I'll give it a few more days before i sadly have to send it back and use my 3080 instead. It's 2500 euro in sweden for the 4090 so i want it to work 100%

somewede wrote:
Hi, i thought it worked when i switched because i tried to reboot 6-7 times and it all booted. Then it didn't work the next day so i bought new z790 + intel and .. its not working there either. It's not working on either of the 3 boards even tho B550 one had most success of booting it up.

So to clear things up: No, it's still not working on any of the 3 mobos iv'e tried, even after vbios update 😞 I'll give it a few more days before i sadly have to send it back and use my 3080 instead. It's 2500 euro in sweden for the 4090 so i want it to work 100%

Man i have same issue if asus want me to verify i will record video too but lets see what they will do please test bios updates before release also performance really trash for me