cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4090 rog strix oc no video output after reboot, unless removing all power for a min

somewede
Level 7
Got a ROG Strix GeForce RTX® 4090 OC Edition 24GB GDDR6X today and i'm using it with Gigabyte X570S AORUS MASTER (rev. 1.0) motherboard. Latest bios.

Been gaming for prollly 5hrs nonstop and then rebooted PC. Led light on the GPU when PC is off but it's not giving any display output when i try to boot up the PC again, unless i remove power completely for a minute or so.. Then i boots up normally with video on the display. Anyone else know why this is? Bios failure or the card?

Using 2000w EVGA 80+ Gold PSU, Gskill CL14 3600MHz Ryzen 5950x. Tried resetting CMOS but nope. So gotta remove power completely every time i'm going to restart the system..
74 REPLIES 74

pittfurg
Level 7
Hey there,

Literally the same problem, different specs:

ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI
Intel Core I9 12900K
32GB DDR5 RAM @6000
ASUS ROG STRIX 4090
1000W EVGA Power Supply (Note: Connecting with provided NVIDIA Connector, not native connector)

I've done most of the troubleshooting I can do. Flashed to latest BIOS for motherboard. Updated drivers were appropriate. I have also messed with disabling GSYNC (both in the driver at even at the monitor settings). Tried turning RBAR off and on. Seems to make no difference at all. Current test as I write this is to try and turn of any power management features and ASUS MultiCore Enhancement (although given you're on an AORUS I doubt it'll matter)

Honestly? This smells like a driver issue to me. The fact that the card is stable when it actually gets a display in Windows is telling. I'm willing to bet the driver is half baked, which sucks for early adopters like you and I. I also saw on the latest JayzTwoCents video he couldn't get video AT ALL on his bench (watch this towards the end: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbT84gxKnMA)

Hang in there... let's keep this thread going with any findings or developments. Hoping it's not a bad batch of cards, or that it is a driver issue (or even a VBIOS issue).

Nate152
Hi guys,

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

I'm using the ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming Wifi with the Strix RTX 3090 ti LC OC connected by displayport.

pittfurg - In the bios on the boot tab, try disabling CSM and set Secure Boot to Other Os. This is how I have mine set.

somewede - I'm not familiar with Gigabyte motherboards but maybe you have those settings too.

If it doesn't help, try resetting the bios to defaults.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm using the ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming Wifi with the Strix RTX 3090 ti LC OC connected by displayport.

pittfurg - In the bios on the boot tab, try disabling CSM and set Secure Boot to Other Os. This is how I have mine set.

somewede - I'm not familiar with Gigabyte motherboards but maybe you have those settings too.

Nate,

Thanks for the reply; I have already tried a BIOS flash (to get on the latest version, just in case), as well as a CMOS reset. No luck there. I did turn off all the power management feature of the board as well as multi-core enhancement for now, and I've had two successful boots. This might be a coincidence so I'm not saying I'm fixed yet or found a correlation. I will keep this updated with what I find.

I can also try the "Other OS" option as well if the problem persists.Â*

Nate152 wrote:
Hi guys,

HI, csm is already disabled and i did also reset CMOS. Same thing ;/ sometimes it works flawlessly to reboot - then all a sudden it's not.. If i remove power completely for half a min-min and boot up PC it works. Vbios update? Or is it bios issue u think?

Solved mine by switching mobo to Asus ProArt B550 Creator.

Only issue i have right now is that when gaming and it's loading in new zones, it's slowing down/hard stuttering. Like, you know the coil whine from GPU? It stops for that split second or whatever it takes 🙂 Not sure if Win 11 update issue or not. No throttle etc. Just noticed that in GPU Tweak 3, voltage usage/memory usage and gpu usage drops that exact time all the way down to almost 0. I had that on the other board too.. Changed everything in the whole PC (+monitor,mouse, keyboard). EVERYTHING except the CPU which is ryzen 5950x. 😛 Could be CPU, or software if anyone know?

pittfurg
Level 7
More updates on my end:

I played around a bit with my motherboard settings; I turned off a few overclocking features (like multicore enhancement) and fiddled a bit with some of the PCI-E power management features, my logic being that maybe the card wasn't getting enough power (even though I'm running 1000w PSU). At first, I thought maybe I was onto something as all my shutdowns and reboots yesterday were fine. Then this morning, went to power it on and no joy.

I just did another CMOS reset to get me back to a steady state, and of course it booted right up. It's so frustrating that it's MOSTLY reproducible except for when it isn't. I sent some driver feedback to NVidia to see if they had anything to add and I'll see if they can give me any guidance.

Oh and Nate: boot mode is also "Other OS" (seems to be the default).

pittfurg
Level 7
Another update: Jay has somewhat similar issues with his 4090 STRIX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8OH5cTnZbg

I'm hoping ASUS is paying attention...

Disable the display port deep sleep in your monitor settings.

Nate152
Jay seems to think it's a Vbios issue.

Techpowerup has two vbios for your ROG Strix RTX 4090, version .51 has a 500 watt power target.

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=NVIDIA&manufacturer=Asus&model=RTX+4090&interface=...

You could maybe try this and update your motherboard bios as well.