cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0922 Bios for X670e Hero problems

Soupladel
Level 10
It seems the latest bios for the Asus X670e Hero motherboard is causing a lot of problems for some users.

I updated from 0805 to 0922 in the hopes of improving the performance but the system would blue screen on entering windows, the only way to get in was to have the BIOS at default, so no PBO or DOCP enabled.

I have 32Gb of dominator platinum ram that is on the QVL list but isnt expo, in some of the earlier revisions of the BIOS i experienced similar BSOD issues that seemed to stem from the RAM but it had been stable on 0805 so its really annoying the latest BIOS is problematic and far from improving performance, it made things much much worse so had to go back to 0805.

0922 also seems to make mention of it using a release candidate version of the Agesa patch which doesn't seem right and could be the cause of mine and others problems?
13 REPLIES 13

shemsureshot
Level 7
I have the same motherboard and same issue with a blue screen error with bios 0922. Earlier bios didn’t have this problem. For me the blue screen only happens if I enable memory context restore in the bios. If I leave it on auto I don’t get the blue screen, but it takes well over a minute to post which is much higher than the previous bios.*

decimus28
Level 10
It causes my Crosshair Extreme x670e to no long POST with EXPO turned on, which was fine the last two BIOS versions.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, all.

It is recommended that you refer to the support page for the ROG CROSSHAIR X670E HERO
and use the memory listed on the QVL list and install it in the recommended slots to ensure compatibility.
>> https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-crosshair/rog-crosshair-x670e-hero-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory/

If you use the memory on the Qvl list and still have the blue screen problem when installed in the recommended slot,
please provide the.cmo file and the following information so that we can better understand the related settings.
- the brand and model name of the CPU, DRAM, GPU, and PSU currently installed
- the OS version and OS build

Thank you.

Jiaszzz@ROG wrote:
Hello, all.

It is recommended that you refer to the support page for the ROG CROSSHAIR X670E HERO
and use the memory listed on the QVL list and install it in the recommended slots to ensure compatibility.
>> https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-crosshair/rog-crosshair-x670e-hero-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory/

If you use the memory on the Qvl list and still have the blue screen problem when installed in the recommended slot,
please provide the.cmo file and the following information so that we can better understand the related settings.

Thank you.

I have tried 0922 and Beta 0923 and both exhibit the exact same issue in that when i enable DOCP, the system becomes unstable and crashes when trying to load into Windows.

I am using Corsair Dominator Platinum 6000 32Gb (2x16) and the references for these is CMT32GX5M2X6000C36 which is on the QVL list.

I have these in the 2nd and 4th slots, or A2 and B2 as per the manual.

the rest of my specs are Ryzen 9 7950x, Aus TUF OC 4090 for the GPU and the PSU is the Corsair HX1000.

I am using Windows 10 21H2 (Build 19044.2604)

I can't seem to attach the cmo file as requested, but i have attached a screenshot from Hardware info for another reason, specifically that despite having a reasonable handle on what and how the C-State limiter is and how it operates, my system NEVER boosts beyond 5.5GHz regardless on how many cores are in use. Prior to the introduction of the C-State limiter, my system would boost to beyond 5.5Ghz but i couldn't stay on that version because I got the 4090 and also experienced memory instability issues until i arrived at BIOS version 0805 and my system has been relatively solid.

Unfortunately I have seen similar screenshots and videos from other owners of this motherboard that exhibit boosting behaviour which matches with my understanding of the C-State limiter, which is when 4 cores or less are active, boost speeds will be around 5.7GHz. I realise this isn't directly connected to the memory instability issue, but it does lead me to have concerns that there may be an issue with my board when you couple both issues together

Soupladel wrote:
I have tried 0922 and Beta 0923 and both exhibit the exact same issue in that when i enable DOCP, the system becomes unstable and crashes when trying to load into Windows.

I am using Corsair Dominator Platinum 6000 32Gb (2x16) and the references for these is CMT32GX5M2X6000C36 which is on the QVL list.

I have these in the 2nd and 4th slots, or A2 and B2 as per the manual.

the rest of my specs are Ryzen 9 7950x, Aus TUF OC 4090 for the GPU and the PSU is the Corsair HX1000.

I am using Windows 10 21H2 (Build 19044.2604)

I can't seem to attach the cmo file as requested, but i have attached a screenshot from Hardware info for another reason, specifically that despite having a reasonable handle on what and how the C-State limiter is and how it operates, my system NEVER boosts beyond 5.5GHz regardless on how many cores are in use. Prior to the introduction of the C-State limiter, my system would boost to beyond 5.5Ghz but i couldn't stay on that version because I got the 4090 and also experienced memory instability issues until i arrived at BIOS version 0805 and my system has been relatively solid.

Unfortunately I have seen similar screenshots and videos from other owners of this motherboard that exhibit boosting behaviour which matches with my understanding of the C-State limiter, which is when 4 cores or less are active, boost speeds will be around 5.7GHz. I realise this isn't directly connected to the memory instability issue, but it does lead me to have concerns that there may be an issue with my board when you couple both issues together

Here is my CMO file via Dropbox

Jiaszzz@ROG wrote:
Hello, all.

Thank you.

Further update, i got myself some Corsair Dominator Platinum EXPO RAM, this time its a 64Gb kit and slightly worse timings at C40 so thought i would try the newer BIOS again, no dice.

The system still won't boot into windows with EXPO enabled (previously it was DOCP because my old RAM kit was XMP but still on the QVL list)

This time though there was a slight difference, in that after the first unsuccessful boot into windows, i got a message at POST telling me that the CPU had changed and the fTPM had been corrupted and gave me an option to reset it or continue as is. To be clear, i have done a lot of trial and error with the BIOS on this board and this is the first time i have seen this message, i say it was at POST but it was actually before the POST screen.

I chose no to the reset then flashed back to 0805, once the BIOS was back at 0805 i got the corrupted fTPM message again but this time i chose to reset it and after another reboot i got back to windows and everything is back to where i was.

The moral to this story is there is something rotten on this system and it can only really be the CPU or the motherboard, i am not inclined to believe it is the CPU because it is rock solid in BIOS 0805 so what does that version of BIOS do differently that 0922 and 0925 does? The only concern i have about the CPU is the fact that it doesn't boost in line with known C-State limiter performance, i.e it never goes about 5.5GHz regardless of how many cores are in use.

So what next ASUS?

Jiaszzz@ROG wrote:
Hello, all.

Thank you.

I find it remarkable that after initially replying, this thread seems to now be ignored by Asus...

Soupladel wrote:
I find it remarkable that after initially replying, this thread seems to now be ignored by Asus...

I know i will probably get some hate for this, but i have just watched the most recent video from Jayztwocents and he has had a somewhat similar experience to me with the same motherboard and RAM, although he was using the 7950x3d instead of the standard 7950x but his testing led him to confirm that it was in fact down to a faulty motherboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5rkxxqzKRk&t=1s&ab_channel=JayzTwoCents

So the question is, do i assume that my Motherboard is faulty and arrange to RMA it with the retailer i bought it from?

Soupladel wrote:
So the question is, do i assume that my Motherboard is faulty and arrange to RMA it with the retailer i bought it from?

The problem is probably caused by the EXPO profiles (too extreme settings).
You can try increasing the voltage by e.g. +0.1V (stay within safe voltages) and see if that stabilizes the ram.

If that does not fix the problem, keep the increased voltage and try lowering the frequency from 6000mhz to 5600mhz.
If it's stable, you can work on getting it stable at 6000mhz (e.g. increase the timings greatly with 6000mhz. If stable, lower the timings slowly to the point where it gets instable and then increase it back a bit to stable values.

If nothing helps, you can try manually overclocking from scratch. That way you'll reach the best settings for stable usage, but it takes more time.