cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X670E-E Memory Overclocking causes post and stability Issues

Bababoiii
Level 8

I am very tired after having this problem for months now, waiting for the possibility for a bios update to fix the issue but to no avail. I am posting this to see if anyone else is having a simular problem.

My specs:

GPU: ASUS TUF RTX 4080 OC  &  ASUS DUAL GTX 1070 OC
CPU: AMD RYZEN 9 7900x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-E 
BIOS Versions: A lot of them starting from 805 and ending up to 1004
RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z5 RGB (2X16GB) DDR5 6000MHZ CL36  F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RS
PSU: CORSAIR HX1200i

The Problem:

When I enable the XMP/DOCP profiles on my memory it essentially becomes a lottery if my computer will post or not and when it does it will either be absolutely fine booting into windows and any other activity but rebooting isn't an option because it will get stuck on q-code 46 and I have to force a shutdown in order to fix this. So only Cold Boots work with the DOCP profile enabled and that is if it will post at all. 

Troubleshooting:

• Bios update over the course seem to only make it worse, as updating to the latest version 1004 not even cold boots work now or at least my lottery luck is very bad
  • Disabling The profile and changing the timings manually and the voltages doesn't work either
  • Resitting the cpu and putting less pressure on it didn't change anything
  • Changing ram slots from A2 and B2 to A1 and B1 have no post at all with Q-Code C5
  • My Ram is supported according to the QVL list with the 6000 Mhz Speed
  • Here is what makes things interesting, placing a single ram on A2 slot on default settings boots and reboots fine with no issue enabling DOCP also boots and reboots fine with no issue tested this multiple times with both DIMMs with same result. Placing a single ram on B2 slot on default settings we have the same result as the A2 slot but enabling DOCP profile he have the same problem again, also tested this multiple times with both DIMMs and had the same result on both of them.

I believe that the problem is either at the motherboard's side (Hardware or Software) or my CPU has a faulty memory controller. What's a bigger kick is that i can't test the cpu, RAM or motherboard properly on a different system since i don't have one.

Does anyone have an idea what is going on cause i am losing my mind over here? Should I return the parts that i think are faulty or is it a dead end? 

Also i send a request to asus support about this issue. I will update if any solution has been found or i get a response from support.

Update 4/14/23: I have flashed BIOS back to 805 version. After some tweakings i get a post with DOCP2 with no problem running games also run a complete memtest overnight with no errors. But ofcourse i can't get a reboot cause once i do pc gets stuck at varying Q-Codes

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bababoiii
Level 8

Since the forums refuse to let me edit my post I will update you all here. 

Update  4/21/2023: I returned the motherboard to my dealer they have tested it with other components and they said that it is indeed a motherboard issue the have send it to the asus service center. Hopefully they won't take forever to replace or fix it.

Also while running XMP profiles on the 805 version had no issues on games and even stress tests with  2 separate mem tests as well showing no errors. Of course  I did this on cold boots because I still can't reboot. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

ohyeah
Level 8

Have the same issue on latest BIOS (0922 wouldn't post in 8/10 cases, 1004 is 50-50, it really got worse lately), which PBO setting do you use? Enhancement may be less stable it seems, gonna check in a few days how it goes on Auto/Enabled.
However, POST problem is pretty common with AM5 motherboards, very disappointed with Asus.

I haven't even touched PBO i just downgraded to 805 bios and now it has become less frequent but that bios update creates other issues sometimes. I'll try to communicate with asus and find a solution but that is highly unlikely. Also i'll tweak the voltages manually to see if anything changes.

ohyeah
Level 8

Try to turn "AI Overclock" to Auto and set regular timings (as in your XMP) + voltage. I posted more details in this thread https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/amd-600-series/crosshair-x670e-extreme-after-update-to-bios-0922-can-t...

Hello Bababoii

It sounds like your memory isn't completely stable.

When you did your tweaking, did you raise the S.O.C. voltage?

Try the S.O.C. voltage at 1.20v

You can also bump up the Dram VDD and Dram VDDQ voltages to 1.40v.

Bababoiii
Level 8

Since the forums refuse to let me edit my post I will update you all here. 

Update  4/21/2023: I returned the motherboard to my dealer they have tested it with other components and they said that it is indeed a motherboard issue the have send it to the asus service center. Hopefully they won't take forever to replace or fix it.

Also while running XMP profiles on the 805 version had no issues on games and even stress tests with  2 separate mem tests as well showing no errors. Of course  I did this on cold boots because I still can't reboot. 

Nate152

Bababoii,

Thank you for the update, let us know how it goes after the repair/replacement.

DanDanda69CZ
Level 9

Hi,

Try setting it in the bios
In boot menu - fast boot > disable
In AI overclock set EXPO profile
In the memory timing settings set: Power Down Enable > disable
And last, probably the most important point, set CPU core voltage manually to 1.2v at best, 1.25v at worst.

It should work then

ROG Strix X670E-E, Ryzen 7900, 2x16 Gb Dominator Platinum 6000Mhz

gamerog
Level 7

I have the same problem and I would like to go back to BIOS 0805. Where can I download it? its not on the official downlods site anymore. tx

Moody
Level 7

I had similar issues identical board. I also have the same RAM at 7200MHz. The issue is your CPU the Ryzen 9 7900 series CPU can only handle 2x1R or 2x2R DDR5 at 5200MHz. Anything over will cause stability issues or failure to boot. In simple terms CPU’s are not advanced enough to run higher speeds just even if the motherboard can it’s a CPU RAM bottleneck. 

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-7900x