cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where in the ASUS ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming BIOS is the CPU Core Voltage(Adaptive)?

deees
Level 7
I'm trying to undervolt an AI overclock a i7-12700KF on a ASUS ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming motherboard. Using DIP5 I've found lowest stable voltage using the "CPU Core Voltage(Adaptive)" settings.

I'd like to configure that setting in the BIOS, (ver. 1304), but can't find a setting that matches description.

All the OC guides I've found show settings that matches the DIP5 nomenclature.

Where in the Strix Z690-E is this configured?

Please refrain from responding with extraneous OC advice and respond only to the topic of this thread.
7 REPLIES 7

RogScott
Level 12
I have the same question.

In previous bios, there was a setting like "Global Core/Cache Svid Voltage" (don't recall exact wording) which could be set to "Adaptive". That opened fields to choose a negative direction and magnitude (voltage).

In 1304, that seems to be gone. It *appears* the setting has been split into two, "Global Core SVID Voltage" and "Global Cache SVID Voltage". But I can't get those to accept an adaptive value. They can both be changed to "Adaptive", which opens a field to specify a negative direction, but it doesn't allow specifying any magnitude. Both settings seem locked to a "by CPU" default. Perhaps some other setting needs to be changed first?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z690-E, i9-12900k, 2x16 DDR5, 980pro nvme x3, Ryujin-II 360, Strix Animate-II, Evga 3090 ftw3

RogScott wrote:
I have the same question.

In previous bios, there was a setting like "Global Core/Cache Svid Voltage" (don't recall exact wording) which could be set to "Adaptive". That opened fields to choose a negative direction and magnitude (voltage).

In 1304, that seems to be gone. It *appears* the setting has been split into two, "Global Core SVID Voltage" and "Global Cache SVID Voltage". But I can't get those to accept an adaptive value. They can both be changed to "Adaptive", which opens a field to specify a negative direction, but it doesn't allow specifying any magnitude. Both settings seem locked to a "by CPU" default. Perhaps some other setting needs to be changed first?

I stumbled across the "Global Core SVID Voltage" after I posted and it sets the same value as DIP5's "CPU Core Voltage(Adaptive)" so that seems to be the answer for me?

Thanks for responding.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I go to "Ai Tweaker" and scroll down to "Global Core SVID Voltage". It is set at "Auto".

When I change it from "Auto" to "Adaptive", the following 4 lines appear below it:
- Offset Mode Sign.... [ + ]
- Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Votage.... [ Auto ]
- Offset Voltage.... [ Auto ]
Total Adaptive Mode CPU Core Voltage.... By CPU

I can change the "Offset Mode Sign" to "-". But the two fields that show "Auto" cannot be changed. Clicking them or highlighting them and pressing enter does nothing -- it just remains at "Auto". The last line isn't a field at all, just a note, saying "Total Adaptive Mode CPU Core Voltage by CPU".

Is there something else I have to change to "unlock" the Offset Voltage field? It currently seems locked at "Auto".
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z690-E, i9-12900k, 2x16 DDR5, 980pro nvme x3, Ryujin-II 360, Strix Animate-II, Evga 3090 ftw3

RogScott wrote:
Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I can change the "Offset Mode Sign" to "-". But the two fields that show "Auto" cannot be changed. Clicking them or highlighting them and pressing enter does nothing -- it just remains at "Auto". The last line isn't a field at all, just a note, saying "Total Adaptive Mode CPU Core Voltage by CPU".

Is there something else I have to change to "unlock" the Offset Voltage field? It currently seems locked at "Auto".

Did you try typing when the text box is highlighted? (Not trying to seem condescending, but in some cases, the GUI can be non-obvious about what input state it's in.)

Try typing 0's while highlighting the text box.

deees wrote:
Did you try typing when the text box is highlighted? (Not trying to seem condescending, but in some cases, the GUI can be non-obvious about what input state it's in.)

Try typing 0's while highlighting the text box.

DOH! (slaps self in forehead) I can't believe it was that simple! I was expecting the field to change to blank, or zeroes, or something to indicate a value could be entered. You are 100% correct, just begin typing and the field changes. THANK YOU!

Time to experiment. Did you change both the "Global Core SVID Voltage" and "Global Cache SVID Voltage"? It seems those were combined as one in previous bios versions, so I'm thinking I should put similar entries into both.

RogScott wrote:

Time to experiment. Did you change both the "Global Core SVID Voltage" and "Global Cache SVID Voltage"? It seems those were combined as one in previous bios versions, so I'm thinking I should put similar entries into both.

I tried both.

But for me, it didn't help. After a day of trying multiple settings, I think I may need to live with my current OC.

Looking at the "AI Feature" for my i&-12700KF, I can see why I unable to do much with undervolting? Of the 8 P-Cores, 6 of them need massive voltage to support any overclock.

Hopefully, your CPU is better than mine?

deees wrote:
Looking at the "AI Feature" for my i&-12700KF, I can see why I unable to do much with undervolting? Of the 8 P-Cores, 6 of them need massive voltage to support any overclock. Hopefully, your CPU is better than mine?

The voltages I'm seeing under "AI Feature" for my i9-12900K are not encouraging, but I really haven't been through all the steps yet -- so will experiment the next few days and see what happens. Thanks for the info!