cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What pump & reservoir should i use to cool my system?

KMandalore
Level 7
I have a Intel I7 4770k and a Formula VI mobo with 2 gtx 780s.
I have been looking at the following pumps and combos.

XSPC Twin D5 Dual Bay Reservoir/Dual Pump Combo

XSPC D5 Photon 270 Reservoir/ D5 Vario Pump Combo

XSPC Twin DDC Dual Bay Reservoir/Pump Combo

The photo is included to show you what i need to cool incase i didn't explain well

this is the last step in my water cooling build any suggestions?
13 REPLIES 13

KMandalore
Level 7
For Rads I ordered
1 x AX 120
1 x AX 240
1 x Black Ice Nemesis 280GTS Ultra Stealth U-Flow Low Profile.

I have made a few different several sketches for hose connections. do you think I have to many Rads? All Copper
rads. I was saving for fittings for last

Deon017
Level 8
Why 3? I believe you could do it with 2 - just plan it nicely - in what order are you putting it? res - pump - cpu - rad1 - gpu's - rad2 back into your res - where is the 3rd radiator - you don't need one between GPU's

Costas
Level 10
Order of loop won't matter in any way as long as the pump is always fed with water.

Stick to a single loop as you can then use the whole cooling capacity of all the rads for all the components, believe it or not going for dual loops is usually reserved for aesthetic reasons only and not performance.

As far as the rads are concerned - the more rad area then the lower the fan speed you can run. As a bare minimum you require 1x 120 size rad area for each device [CPU/GPU etc] plus an extra 120 for a bit of headroom. So for 1 CPU and 1GPU you would require a 360mm overall rad length as a good minimum size. Anything more will allow you to run fans at lower overall speeds which can result in a very quiet PC if you have enough rad space. So the AX120 + AX240 will achieve this minimum - Adding the low profile 280 is a bonus if you can fit it in without too much trouble.

In your case, I would aim for at least 420mm worth of overall rad length if utilising 120mm sized fans as a minimum.

If you overclock/overvolt your CPU and GPUs then much more heat is dumped into the loop so I always try and opt for as many rads as I can fit comfortably within the case.

Keep away from bay reservoirs - they are a pain to fill and bleed and are generally a lot noisier.

IMO - Go for the D5 XSPC Photon glass tube res combo. Just be careful of its size as the 270mm is just the reservoir length. The pump adds a fair more to its overall length otherwise go for the shorter version if the 270 will not seem to fit. They are a good looking res when illuminated.

Here is my rig with a standalone Photon 270 [using separate Swiftech MCP35X2 pump]. Coolant is an automotive glycol based [5%] formulation which is red - Diluted with distilled H2O.

Case is a Corsair 900D - So you can get an idea of the length of the Photon 270 without the integrated pump...!

KMandalore
Level 7
the 240 will be bottom mounted, the 120 will be mounted on the exhaust (internally or ex. CM designed the case with either of those mounts in mind), in the 280 will be internally ceiling mounted. The reason a bought 3 radis is because they are all smaller then what seems to be avg rad size (60mm). No to mention the 280 is an extrem low profile rad with a thickness of 30mm. So i wanted to insure good cooling to be safe and good heat removal.