cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What pump & reservoir should i use to cool my system?

KMandalore
Level 7
I have a Intel I7 4770k and a Formula VI mobo with 2 gtx 780s.
I have been looking at the following pumps and combos.

XSPC Twin D5 Dual Bay Reservoir/Dual Pump Combo

XSPC D5 Photon 270 Reservoir/ D5 Vario Pump Combo

XSPC Twin DDC Dual Bay Reservoir/Pump Combo

The photo is included to show you what i need to cool incase i didn't explain well

this is the last step in my water cooling build any suggestions?
13 REPLIES 13

Nate152
Hello KMandalore

Decisions Decisions I know haha.

Have you seen the aquacomputer aqualis reservoirs? Lots of options to choose from, I looked at these for a couple days. Some are stand alone and some can be a pump/res combo. They are glass reservoirs and won't ever stain.

https://www.aquatuning.us/search?sSearch=aqualis

Here is one from frozencpu.com you can get installed but as I understand frozencpu is having problems and will be down for a little while.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16994/ex-res-422/AquaComputer_Pump_Adapter_w_Aqualis_Reservoir_and...

Decisions Decisions 🙂

KMandalore
Level 7
To be completely honest i have no idea where to start on the pump and res. I wasn't going to use any dyes just plain ol distilled water.. so im not
concerned about the stains.

Nate152
If it were me I would probably do a pump/res combo of either (bay res or cylinder), it would keep it all together and not take up as much space.

Or just let your imagination run wild. 🙂

KMandalore
Level 7
I wanted to to do a bay/ pump combo and if there wasn't enough water use a resevoir w/o a pump. Unfortunately because of my case set up the res/pump combo has to be in the lower most bay from leakage fears i'm unwilling to put my HDD below the res.

KMandalore
Level 7
I also didn't know if since i'm coolin for components if i should try to cool it all with one loop or if i should use a dual res/pump combo one private
loop for the gpu's and one loop for the cpu/mosfet.

Nate152
1 gtx 780 can draw a maximum of about 250 watts or a little more so 2 of them would draw a little over 500 watts, add in your 4770k which is 84 watts and you have about 600 watts of heat to dissipate. The mosfets don't create too much heat so you can add them in there, normally they are passively cooled.

One 360 radiator is capable of dissipating 600 watts of heat so you could get away with one loop, but you will more than likely have to have a push/pull configuration with your fans and a good pump for good flow.

Another way to look at it is put a 120mm rad for each component and you have a 360 rad. So yeah you could do it all in one loop.

Deon017
Level 8
with one loop just have a radiator after each component - one after your cpu and one after your GPU's and from the last one back into your res - I have just changed mine from dual loop to single and there is very little difference in temps, but then I have 2 x 420 radiators. Just think its easier managed and can look better.

Goggle_Eye
Level 7
Deon correct. A well planned single loop will cool better than a dual loop. Been proven to may times. Looks much cleaner. You do not need to split the radiators between hardware you may have done so to keep the loop short as possible? Shortest possible Loop better. You have room for a D-5 Pump in the floor of the case towards the front. A res will fit on the back of the Case above the PSU in front of the GPUs. Measure for side panel clearances. Un snap the res with tubing attached and drain the system. No drain valves required. Do not attach hardware to the M/Board tray especially if it is removable. Makes it difficult to remove the M/Board tray & Mother board.

A Recommendation. Take pictures of your system. Load in Microsoft Paint and draw the loop. Figure out the hardware. Post pictures of the loop and ask lots of questions. Start the loop at the center of the loop (CPU) and work out towards the outer edge of the loop. Do not cross any tubing. Fluid direction does not matter. Pump first or not but pump after the res always.
CaseLabs Magnum 8
Asus Rampage 4 Black Edition
I7 4930K 4.5GHz
Noctua NH D14
G-Skill Z Series 2133 MHz 16 Gb
2x GTX 780 S.C.
PSU Corsair AX 1500 I
2 x Samsung 850 Pro 2 Tbs Each
2 x Intel 730 Series 480 GBs Each
Sound On Board

Deon017
Level 8
I do fully agree that planning it well is the best advice before you start buying barbs and fittings - I never did the first time and learnt an expensive lesson