cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are normal temps for DDR5?

Yunior4GT
Level 7
Hello,

I recently got my hands on the Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Apex motherboard and paired it with i9 12900K and the GSkill Trident Z5 6000 DDR5 RAM.

I updated bios to latest firmware and turned on XMP.

Using CPUID HWmonitor, I’ve noticed the temps on the RAM idle between 40c-45c. I did a stress test on the RAM, and temps went well above 60c. At one point it went up to 66c before I stopped the test.*

I am using an AIO cooler and the Fractual Torrent case which is a good case for airflow.

Are these RAMS supposed to run so hot?*
8 REPLIES 8

Ribellu
Level 10
Hi, I think it all depends on the frequency of the ram, I have DDR5 in 5200Mhz, for normal use, I mean internet, watching videos, or streaming I do not exceed 31°C, in full load by example in-game or a stress test maxi I observed 42°C.

Try to find the specifications of your ram at your brand.

In HWiNFO64 I see temperature level (0 to 85°C).

Braegnok
Level 14
DDR5 modules will run hot without active cooling when your testing.

45c idle temps with VDD, VDDQ voltages under 1.43V is indeed a bit warm.

You need more air flow across modules, or your chassis ambient air temps are vary high.

You can try adjusting your chassis fans to get more air flow across modules, or add active cooling.

I have been using Corsair Dominator Air Flow fan, it works vary well: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/Dominator-Airflow-Platinum-R...

Braegnok wrote:
DDR5 modules will run hot without active cooling when your testing.

45c idle temps with VDD, VDDQ voltages under 1.43V is indeed a bit warm.

You need more air flow across modules, or your chassis ambient air temps are vary high.

You can try adjusting your chassis fans to get more air flow across modules, or add active cooling.

I have been using Corsair Dominator Air Flow fan, it works vary well: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/Dominator-Airflow-Platinum-R...

I’ll take a look at it. But I wonder if it will work with Trident Z5 DDR5 sticks?Â*

Yunior4GT wrote:
I’ll take a look at it. But I wonder if it will work with Trident Z5 DDR5 sticks?Â*

Yes the Corsair fans have plenty of clearance, I'm currently running G.SKILL F5-6400 TZ5K modules.

My memory temps average 27c @ 1.41V.

Braegnok wrote:
Yes the Corsair fans have plenty of clearance, I'm currently running G.SKILL F5-6400 TZ5K modules.

My memory temps average 27c @ 1.41V.

Awesome. Will give it a try. Thanks

Braegnok
Level 14
On sale at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Dominator-Platinum-Airflow-CMDAF2/dp/B077455184

Good luck, enjoy your new system. :cool:

lLegendaary
Level 9
All of these issue heat and stuff u won't see them by 13-14generation
This remind me of x99 board was a lot of headache then x299 become more easier and more powerful

Reported Symptom(s): I have 2 Corsair Vengeance DDR5 32GB (CMK32GX5M2B5200C40) DIMM sticks in an ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming WiFi Motherboard. The DIMM temperature was in the 80 degrees C range before I installed a DIMM Fan - Corsair Vengeance Airflow Memory Cooling Fan CMYAF. After installing the DIMM fan the temperatures dropped to the 73 C range - still too hot. In addition to the DIMM fan, I have 7 Case fans and no place for an additional fan. The CPU is water cooled.

All temperatures provided by ASUS Armory Crate Utility, currently: CPU 31 degrees C, Motherboard 25 C, and Chipset 74 C. The only problem is the DIMM. The Mother board is not overclocked and there are 2 problems with the DIMM heat - performance and longevity.

THE QUESTION - What other solutions are available to reduce the DIMM temperature?

It is a problem to me because I had to replace (ASUS return at no charge but a pain to reinstall) my 1st Z690 Motherboard because one of the 2 DIMM Slots became defective. I am assuming the problem was caused by the excessive DDR5 heat.