cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VDDCR CPU Voltage ignored BIOS B550-E

CuBrain
Level 7
Hi,
I have an issue. I seem to not be able to set the maximum voltage on the ASUS STRIX B550-E motherboard. No matter what I put in there (1.3V or some minus offset) when I start Windows and open up HWMonitor, it shows maximum voltages up to 1.494V, and this leads to crazy temperature spikes. You can see in the screenshot.
This is not a cooler issue, because I bought aftermarket be quiet! Shadow Rock 3, and changed the thermal paste 4 times, with no result, nearly same effect as stock cooler wraith prism.

I'm not interested in overclocking, but merely in underclocking and lower temps. I disabled PBO, but it seems to not have any effect. I would say most of the things you set in this BIOS are ignored when computer enters windows.

The only thing I was able to do, is to disable Core Performance Boost, and after this the CPU Frequency does not go above 3.54Ghz, but then, what is the point of this CPU if it is not going to Boost when needed?

Any ideas?

I contacted ASUS support and they said the board is operating normally, which I disagree with.

Build:
Ryzen 7 3700X
16 GB RAM Crucial 2666Mhz
ASUS STRIX B550-E
ASUS RTX 2060 Super
Corsair RM650i
SSD Samsung 860 EVO 500Gb
2 REPLIES 2

AliAPCMR
Level 9
Vid is not the actual voltage the CPU is getting, Vid is a list that the cpu uses to see the current multiplier and then says ahhh this is the voltage needed and sends a request, the actual voltage is stated in the area where it says VCORE. If the vcore states a voltage of 1.4v then u can say high but if it's lower Ur good and can ignore vid

OP, download and install the latest chipset drivers from AMD.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b550

Latest BIOS as well if you not already using it.

Then retest and see if this issue you precieved is still present.

You changed the thermal paste 4 times - how and what did you use and why so many times ?