cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using my ROG Connect

ReaperX
Level 7
Hello Gurus of PC's
I just would like to say first of all Happy New Year to you all.

Now to the question and some advice, I have a HD 7970 Graphics card and I brought a new monitor with HDMI on it, now I want to
use my HDMI cable on the main monitor but I can't use the ROG connect on it, so the question is this can I use the ROG Connect on the second monitor to overclock the GPU, oh I can only use it on my main monitor?

I never overclock my PC's but I thought that a new year mean new things so I want to overclock the pc that I got.

PC Specifics

Asus Rampage IV Extreme
i7 3820
16gb Mushkin PC3-19200 10-12-12-28
MSI HD7970
AlphaCool Full Water block 7970
Swiftech APOGEE XT water block
Koolance MB-ASR4E Blocks
2 x 240mm rads
EK-D5 X-RES WITH A 250mm Reservoir
Corsair AX850 psu

I would like some one that knows about overclocking to get back to me with some pointers as I never done it before
I hope that the hardware I got is useable and I can overclock my first PC with your people help.
Thank you very much for reading this.
CIAO
6 REPLIES 6

John_Au
Level 7
If you wanna overclock you graphics card, try MSI afterburner. It is made by the company that made your gpu and is designed specifically for ocing graphics cards.
ROG connect is pretty useful for overclocking your cpu and memory though, as you have it running on a separate machine (laptop fore xample) and you can watch live graphs and stats of the voltages as they change second by second, even when the machine you are overclocking bsods and crashes, the readings keep going.

John_Au
Level 7
also, i've heard you can get ROG connect on iPhone and iPad, so if you have one of those, that could be an option for you to use it on ur machine.

Hi John Alu
thank you for that I will be using afterburner then, I.m hoping to overclock the cpu too perhaps I didn't explain myself well before, but as I was saying before I never overclock anything so its all new and I do not want to damage anything,
well I will keep and eye here see if any one will help me out oh point me in the right direction.
Thanx a lot Sir
M

John_Au
Level 7
no worries. Most people say to overclock things separately, so overclock ur gpu first with msi afterburner, it should be the easiest, as you can do it from windows and theres only a few variables that you get to play with.

Then oc the cpu, find its max, then oc the mem find its max.
I highly recommend using ROG connect if you have the feature on your motherboard. Being able to see real time graphs of voltages and how they fluctuate in different circumstances with different settings is quite valuable. I think before using that system I was much more blind in the settings i was adjusting, but being able to see a read out explains a lot.

sectionate
Level 12
http://www.radeonpro.info - best ati o/c tool
Crosshair IV 1090T 4093.7 - Crosshair V FX - 8350 Batch # 1243PGT 4.422MHz - 4816.08 MHz 1.5v - GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR(x2)1087.6 11-12-10 1.5volts - ViewSonic VX2439wm - Acer GD235HZ - SyncMaster P2350 - PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 8GBD5-3DH/OC - Current Mode: 5760 x 1080 - (retired) ASUS GTX660DC2O2GD5 - Nvidia 3D Vision Wired - HAF 932 - Corsair HX850 - Corsair H100i - latest quakelive.com - Day thirteen 60fps - as always I'm powered by Futurelooks.com

jab383
Level 13
Hi ReaperX

Nice set of gear in that list -- very similar to something I just put together - thread just completed in the build log forum area. It looks to be quite overclockable and you have picked acceptable cooling gear.

A few notes:

I couldn't get a Sandy Bridge-E to run RAM at 2400. Those Mushkins work wonderfully in my 24/7 system with a Haswell. If you wind up with with RAM speed less than 2400, it's not the RAM's fault. Sandy Bridge CPUs have relatively weak memory controllers that were improved in later generations Ivy Bridge and Haswell.

ROG Connect is a USB cable with both ends wired for a PC, plus some software that allows another PC to sneak in the back door of the R4E and adjust OC while anything else is running - it has nothing to do with monitor or video card.

The OC Key is probably what your question refers to. It usually connects between a video card and a monitor using a DVI cable (it has to be a DVI digital cable to work). Built-in firmware in the R4E puts an on-screen display overlayed on the monitor with OC information. The OC Key can put the display information on a monitor without involving the video card. If you are trying to use a second monitor with DVI to get the OC display, connect the OC Key to the R4E with its dedicated header cable and to the second monitor through the DVI, but not at all to the video card.

I recommend Aida64 for monitoring clock speeds, voltages and temperatures. It's not free, but has a free trial.

OCCT is the end-all of stability tests, but some think it goes too far. Realbench, available on this forum, is closer to real-world application stress levels. If you're going into competitive benchmarking, go with OCCT.

John_Au is right about Afterburner - I use it even with ASUS branded video cards.

MEMTWEAKIT is included in the software for the R4E and is great for quick setting and test of RAM timing. That's one advantage of SB over Haswell - Haswell won't set RAM timing from within the OS.

Have fun with it all

Jeff