cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Problems

MalTeck
Level 7
Hi
My USB 3.0 Ports Both on-board and the USB Header are running extremely slow only working at about 25mbit second.

Any ideas.
9 REPLIES 9

totalrognoob
Level 7
Um, it might be a good idea to post your system specs to go with this, as well as the benchmarking tool you're using. Another good thing would be to list the media you are getting this result from. If we don't know what your system is, what USBs you're using, what programs are telling this information, and so on, there isn't much we can do about it. Best I could do with the information you gave me is guess random things, like your USB not being able to be written faster than that, or that you're using USB 1.1 ports.

MalTeck
Level 7
Hi totalrognoob

I am working on the USB problems now but for now I can tell you that I had Intel xhci Disabled in the bios (that was the recommended solution for the connecting and disconnecting of the device) but I may have an all round better solution soon. Have read errors now on my external icybox hard drive device so working on solutions. Post more later.
malteck

Nate152

MalTeck
Level 7

xHCI Disabled

xHCI Enabled

Show the difference this makes.

Now have set xHCI to Smart thanks Nate152 will see what this does to things.

Nate152
Cool, that's a neat utility. I'll take it you have an external hard drive. With xHCI disabled it makes all usb ports 2.0 so it makes sense enabling xHCI is giving you faster speeds.

What does the smart auto setting give you?

MalTeck
Level 7
Thanks Nate152

That makes cense about xHCI because my Internet browsing has also being very slow on facebook and flickr because the page contains a lot of images. one problem solved...

Yes I am using an icybox 2 slot hard drive device that is what I am using doing these tests.

xHCI Auto

Well about the same as Enabled. Another Part Fixed for Now.

The most annoying is the Disconnecting and Reconnecting of these Devices. The one I have being using for the test is used to make a drive Image of my main internal system H/D s so is not populated until I do an image then I hope it does not disconnect.

The other External Hard Drive is my main Backup Drive which is a RAID 10 Device this has a standby function which was dis/con very often. I have now set this to 2 Hours so I hope this has fixed this if not I think I may go over to ESATA.

Well I wait and see what happens in the next few Hours....

Nate152
Yeah keep us updated, it sounds like you're getting it sorted out, it was probably a good idea to set standby to 2 hrs or maybe just disable standby altogether.

MalTeck
Level 7
No Problems so far.
Thanks

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Setting xHCI to disabled changes the USB ports from USB 3.0 to 2.0. Thus the reason for the slowdown when xHCI is disabled. USB devices that function properly with xHCI disabled but not when xHCI is enabled do not conform to Intel's latest USB 3.0 specs and require a firmware update from the device manufacturer.