cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to 780 from 770?

djdelirius
Level 10
Ok, so I know this is different brand's product I'm referring to but I want to get the RoG brotherhood's thoughts on the matter. I currently have an EVGA GTX 770 Classified and currently in queue in their step-up program to upgrade to a reference 780. I can't decide if I should get the reference GTX 780 or just stick with the classified 770 and get a 2nd one in SLI. What do you guys think? I'd still plan on getting a 2nd 780 down the road if I traded the 770 in but is there a huge difference in performance of the reference 780 to the 770?
8 REPLIES 8

Chino
Level 15
There should be a 10 to 30FPS increase depending on the game and resolution. The big question here is how much is 10-30FPS it going to cost you?

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Don't forget mate, the 770 down are rebadged, slightly higher clocked 6xx series cards. The 780 runs the same GPU as Titan...but of course, is not as good as the Titan lol

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I would and actually did do the trade up (GK104 to GK110) and I think it is worth it. 110 is a beautiful chip and the reference design 110 cards are a beautiful piece of engineering....

HiVizMan
Level 40
The bottom line is cost v benefit - or as someone said how much will it cost for those added FPS.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/829?vs=827

Sadly it does not have 770 sli v 780 but you should get a good idea of the gains if you use the 680SLi (770 and 680 same card)
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

chrisnyc75
Level 12
2xSLI 770 > 1x 780, at about the same cost.

I keep saying it over and over -- the ONLY reason to get a 780 (or Titan) is if you plan to go SLI with multiple 780's (or Titans). Otherwise, a single 780 doesn't make sense from any angle.

As far as stepping up and then going 2xSLI 780's down the road, I'd say keep your money in your pocket and wait for the 800 series ~6 months from now [probably]. From what I gather, word on the street is that the performance jump in the next series ("Maxwell" I think they're calling it?) will be remarkable. Then again, with AMD's new release just around the corner, it's possible we'll see the price of the 780 drop to a more competitive level soon. Question is, how confident of that are you?
Asus RIVBE • i7 4930K @ 4.7ghz • 8gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 CL8
2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid
EVGA Supernova 1300W• Asus VG278H & nVidia 3d Vision
Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/ custom watercooling:
XSPC Raystorm (cpu & gpu), XSPC Photon 170, Swiftech D5 vario
Alphacool Monsta 360mm +6x NB e-loop, XT45 360mm +6x Corsair SP120

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yeah I think you are right you know. I just have had way to many issues in the past with SLi. So for simplicity and probably just lazy, I stick with single card for every day use. Benching now that is another story.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

djdelirius
Level 10
Is 1 780 enough to handle 3 1080p monitors in 3d surround and vision comfortably or will I have to go with an SLI setup? I just got the 3 Asus VG248QE monitors in last week 😄

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
That depends entirely on what settings you want to play at.....I can easily max out my Titans on a 2560x1440 display by setting Ultra and 4xSSAA for example....if I set FXAA no where near maxed out...so depends on game engine and if you want to set the absolute maximum settings...for that dual card is going to be needed for 3 displays....