cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from 16 gb to 32 ram

Lospsii
Level 7
Hello everyone !!
This week i will install two more 2x 8 modules(16gb).
Right now i have manually set timings and voltages,i use the same values that xmp would use but with lower voltages.
Now that i will install 16 gb more,do i need to increase the voltage of the vccio and vccsa ?
6 REPLIES 6

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57038-Don%92t-combine-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-o...

🙂

Hi and thanks for the link!!
Forgot to write that the new memory modules are exactly the same with the ones i have already installed!

Lospsii wrote:
Hi and thanks for the link!!
Forgot to write that the new memory modules are exactly the same with the ones i have already installed!

That helps but even within identical model DIMMs there can be differences, been there, done that.

It may work with some tuning but I would recommend buying modules from a shop with a generous return policy. That way if you get stuck you aren't SOL.

As for specific recommendations, that's where the tuning part comes in. If you get golden samples of everything you may be able to run everything the same. But if not then trial and error is how you find the idiosyncrasies of your CPU and modules.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
That helps but even within identical model DIMMs there can be differences, been there, done that.

It may work with some tuning but I would recommend buying modules from a shop with a generous return policy. That way if you get stuck you aren't SOL.

As for specific recommendations, that's where the tuning part comes in. If you get golden samples of everything you may be able to run everything the same. But if not then trial and error is how you find the idiosyncrasies of your CPU and modules.

Τhank you for the tips!
Do you remember which voltages you tweak?

xeromist
My current system is AMD Zen 1 and I cheaped out on the memory so I just run it below the advertised speed. I tried tweaking voltages and timings but gave up after about 4 hours of zero progress.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

XYchromosone
Level 10
If you for what ever reason are adding 16GB of RAM to the currently installed sticks, then you need to find what timings and voltages work for a stable system. You might see e.g., that in the BIOS you will have 2 rows of figures, one row of the same timing might show 16, 17 below that it might show 15, 16 and maybe below that it might show 35, 37 for Automatic [Auto] settings. So the system is either reading the ram's timing SPD profile from the stick of individual ram, or it has set those timings after the mobo has self tested the individual module banks. If this is the case then you know for certain that although you purchased the exact same [tuned] pair of RAM, the pair of added sticks have in fact some unique timings. I would suggest that where there are 2 different figures for the same timing, make both values of that timing of the highest value, e.g., if DRAM CAS# latency is 16 for one bank and 17 for the other, then make both CAS# 17. However, and this is where things begin to get complicated, certain timing need to be decreased for stability. One needs a good understanding of what the PARTICULAR TIMING does.

To make things more simple and for best stability and performance one would purchase a set of RAM e.g. 4 x 8GB kit for a total of 32GB that have been binned by the manufacturer so all sticks are tuned and guaranteed to work together in harmony. You could always sell your current 2 x 8GB sticks and put the funds towards the 4 x 8GB kit. This is my current configuration of G.Skill Trident Z 3600MHz kit and am very happy with it. Good luck.