cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unstable at 5.0Ghz

RazorCat
Level 10

Good Day...

Im trying to push my System to 5.0Ghz...
Tried Super PI 32M and it went good, I won't STRESS TEST this OC because I know my CPU Cooler can't handle higher OC clocks.. I just want it to be stable like browsing the net playing mp3s and movies.. little photoshop..

I can boot with these settings above... BUT when I play games after 10-15 minutes it goes BSOD... error 124
im on Offset Overclocking..

Help, what could be the cause of the BSOD?? what adjustments should I make? 😄
R7-3700X | ROG STRIX B550-F WIFI | Noctua NH-D15s | 2x16Gb TUF VULCAN 3600Mhz | 4 X 1TB WD Caviar Blue, 2TB Caviar Green | Palit GTX 1070Ti | SEASONIC 850W FOCUS GOLD | NZXT Phantom White | ASUS VG278QR-J / ASUS VX239H
18 REPLIES 18

HiVizMan
Level 40
You will need additional voltage to the CPU. Increase our VCore and keep a sharp eye on y our temps.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

RazorCat
Level 10
@ Hivizman: Ive observed my temps when playing games prior to BSOD was in the 60s, when playing games my vcore on cpu-z is 1.496 to 1.504v
one thing, CPU PLL Voltage at 1.5v is it OK? Ive read here that it lowers TEMPS when its low.. 😄
will try bumping the vcore first.. the observe..
R7-3700X | ROG STRIX B550-F WIFI | Noctua NH-D15s | 2x16Gb TUF VULCAN 3600Mhz | 4 X 1TB WD Caviar Blue, 2TB Caviar Green | Palit GTX 1070Ti | SEASONIC 850W FOCUS GOLD | NZXT Phantom White | ASUS VG278QR-J / ASUS VX239H

HiVizMan
Level 40
That bit of information about the CPU PLL I did miss.

You will need to find your sweet spot for CPU PLL, my 2600K likes 1.55 not sure what your sweet spot will be. But anything under 1.8 (auto) is a bonus.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
0x124 can be Vdimm or VTT/VCCSA too. i.e RAM related voltage. Intel recommend CPU PLL 1.8 I doubt there is much to be gained by not following that. You can also disable CPU spread spectrum.

That DRAM refresh interval looks a strange no?

Also make sure your VRMs are cool too not just CPU.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
0x124 can be Vdimm or VTT/VCCSA too. i.e RAM related voltage. Intel recommend CPU PLL 1.8 I doubt there is much to be gained by not following that. You can also disable CPU spread spectrum.

That DRAM refresh interval looks a strange no?

Also make sure your VRMs are cool too not just CPU.

hmmm Sir Arne: what's next to be tweaked? VCCSA/IO Voltage?

Sir Hivizman: I had the vcore bumped, but still experiencing BSOD 124 after 30 minutes of playing games.. 😞

RazorCat wrote:
Arne: what's next to be tweaked? VCCSA/IO Voltage?

I would try a small boost for VCCSA and VTT keeping these the same value and maybe a bit more Vdimm.....experiment 😉

Retired
Not applicable
this is a faq.. 5.0 will not be solid 24/7.. every time you start your pc, that profile is not the same as last time, you started your pc..

4,75-4,85, around there, u get nice stability.. and no direct "side effects# 24/7

5.0 ghz and up, is good, for example competitions.. and benchmarking.

ask urself, do i need that 200 mhz so bad..

even if u got a stable 5.0 ghz.. it will crash sooner or later..

u can crash a 4,4 ghz also, if u force it. no prob..

Cheers..

I dont remember that much from my SB, but around 1,75 cpu_pll.. 5,2 ghz.. if i am not totally wrong..

but 1,5v for a sb, at 5.0 ghz.. is very high..

And not every chip r the same..

i think its great that you are working on a 5.0... But dont get disappointed, if u cant get it rock solid..

RazorCat
Level 10
Good Day Sir X Pack... i won't OC at 5.0ghz on 24/7... im happy even at stock speeds, I just want to eliminate that 124 BSOD.. that is why Im asking advice from anybody here on what adjustments would I make to get rid of that crashing when playin' games.. 😄

@ all: hmmmm should I run memtest first? to check if my mems has problems?

Retired
Not applicable
G. eving Raz..

Both Arne and Viz, r very skilled within this..

and u will get good advice from them..

But taking it from scratch may be a good solution, if u having probs..

O.C... All good....... ;o)

tips, keep it simple.. all knobs in the cockpit dont make the helicopter hovering..