cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown Temps huge spike

WCPredator
Level 7
SOLVED: VRM Spread Spectrum had been disabled for some reason in ALL my OC profiles.. now those mystery temps are ice cold (<50c lol). So the 129c was real !!!!!!!

I've been using the same profiles for a few years now and have always dismissed some egg cooking temps as errors. Today I was using optimized BIOS defualts to check something and I noticed those "error" temps were in the normal range. Strange thing is that my normal profile settings are just a Vcore undervolt with leds off..
Optimized default (Concerning Temperatures are #3,#4 and $6)
Undervolt
68320 68321
24 REPLIES 24

Korth
Level 14
M7H Z97/i7-4790K. It's a 3 year old system. Motherboard, CPU, and PSU are at end of warranty. CR2032 battery will probably die soon.

I think your TIM might be cooking off, a couple of extremely high temps. When's the last time you pasted the heatsinks?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

WCPredator
Level 7
HeatsinkS plural? Other than the CPU cooler I'm not aware of any heatsinks I should be messing with. These temps have been standard since the beginning, I've just always assumed that they were erroneous readings. I can't even figure out what they are measuring.

Nate152
Hey WCPredator

Wow, yeah it's reporting way high cpu temps and if your pc isn't shutting down, I would think they are inaccurate readings.

Try using HWInfo and see if there is any temp difference, run only that program, do not open cpu-z or HWmonitor.

HWinfo - Native 64 bit

https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Hi Nate152, long time 🙂

I actually just tried hwinfo64 when I was on the phone with Asus (4th attempt lots of the lady what lives in the phone hanging up on me). Dude was like use other programs like cpu-z, though none of the ones I found had temperature readings. Anyway, hwinfo show the same thing, altho a current temp of freezing lol (0c), and one less reading :

I finger tested and the only hot place was the plastic covered area (ROG) shown below, but it's quite hot and that's just the cover..
I forget what underneath.

The CS guy said update chipset and bios and if it persists take it in to be checked.. with 1 month left on the warranty I wonder if it might be worth the trouble - and being computer-less?!?!

Nate152
First let's get the right cpu temp readings, can you post the whole page of Hwinfo please?

The cpu temps are circled in red on the lower left hand side, some of those other temps give me false readings too but the cpu temps should be accurate.

Click the pic to make it bigger

K, this is the lower volted regular clock, which upon reflection is kinda stupid, but oh well. It's worth pointing out that optimized defaults never have those readings above 80c, I don't remember what led me to believe that they ran the CPU at 1.27v

Nate152
Yeah that looks good to me, temps are very good with a max cpu voltage (Vcore) of 1.184v.

I'm not seeing any problems here. 🙂

You could run a stress test to see where temps go.

I dunno coach 😛 100-130c readings lol, I was looking cuz I finally RMA'd my long dead 7970 and the replacement is an R9 390 which will be super hot by itself.. how do I identify my chipset version to see if I need to update it? Device Mngr doesn't have version.

MoKiChU
Level 40
WCPredator wrote:

Hi WCPredator,

Can you try to disable the ASUS MultiCore Enhancement option in the BIOS then look at the temperatures ? This option puts the 4790k to a hard test ...