cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to overclock RAM or maybe faulty sticks?

Stamos
Level 7
Hey guys

I have an issue with my RAM i dont know if its anything else but my sticks
Im trying to se the speeds on atleast 3600(as advertised) but i and it completely fails to do so
I formatted my pc since a new SSD arrived and i realized that i cant set my speeds further than 3000
With DOCP it get to 3600 on its own,it doesnt boot, and i have to go back and forth resetting CMOS
Are my sticks problematic or Im doing something stupid that i fail understand or even my specs cant do it.
My Specs:
-Asus Rog Strix x570E on latest bios
-Ryzen 9 5900x(with AIO)
-AMD 6600XT sapphire Nitro Plus
-Ram G.Skill Trident RGB series for Ryzen DDR4-3600 CL 18-16GB dual kit
https://www.custompc.com.cy/components/memory/g.skill-trident-z-rgb-series-for-amd-ryzen-ddr4-3600-c...
the so called ramsticks i use

Any help is appreciated
5 REPLIES 5

Banditt1976
Level 8
DOCP settings rarely work when trying to overclock RAM on an AMD based motherboard. Try going into the BIOS and set the RAM to Manual instead of DOCP while copying over the DOCP settings to the manual setup if they don't stay on their own. That is what I had to do and I can get up to 3600 without errors or hanging.

Set as DDR4-3600 with FCLK as 1800

I found this method to be highly effective in overclocking my sticks of RAM. As stated on the previous page, stress testing is very important because it can expose faulty memory modules that would otherwise seem stable in normal use.

I stress tested my 4 GB (2x2GB) set of new G.SKILL Trident X Series F3-2400C10D-8GTX DDR3 PC3-19200 2400 MHz CL10-12-12-31 Dual Channel Kit only using Memtest86+ for 20 minutes and did not find any errors. The reason I didn't stop there is that even though they were running perfectly fine during general use , that doesn't mean that they are 100% stable at higher frequencies. It is possible that at a higher frequency, errors may start to show up down the road that wouldn't have been detected during a quick 20 minute test.

After increasing the voltage to 1.65V, I was able to stabilize them at 2666 MHz. If you are using a kit with more than 2 sticks of RAM, bump up the voltage by .01 volts for every stick of RAM after the 2nd stick. So if you are using 4 sticks of RAM, your voltage would be 1.70V.

After doing some research online, I found that most people were able to get their G.SKILL Trident X Series F3-2400C10D-8GTX DDR3 PC3- 19200 2400 MHz CL10-12-12-31 Dual Channel Kit up to 3000 MHz by raising the voltage to 1.75V. I was not comfortable raising the voltage any higher than 1.65V, so I stopped there.

If you are overclocking your RAM and are not getting the desired results, it is possible that you may have a faulty stick of RAM. In order to determine if you do have a faulty stick of RAM, you will need to stress test each stick of RAM individually. This can be done by running Memtest86+ for at least 12 hours on each stick of RAM. If you find errors while testing one or more sticks of RAM, then those sticks of RAM should be replaced.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Set DRAM Voltage 1.4 - 1.45v

SOC 1.1 - 1.2v

See if that helps.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Stamos
Level 7
I did bandits suggestion on manual input of the settings, same thing 😕
Did a memtest for like 20mins it had no errors on default settings

@SilentScone should i do that with DOCP profile or everything manually like Bandit mentioned?

Thanks for your replies btw peeps gonna test again

Stamos
Level 7
Did Silents' suggestion looked a bit better, i mean atleast it reached almost the log screen but i got A BSOD with the w10 qr code
Well that was an improvement compared not booting at all xD
I found out that my ram are C-die btw with thaiphoon, maybe its that ? 😕