Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temperature controlling my laptop

Jcomper23
Level 7
Okay, so, I got this laptop:

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-ZEPHYRUS-S-GX701/

Now, I have Core Temp monitoring my temperatures, and I often like to play some heavy 3D games like Planet Coaster with the graphics settings cranked up. After some time playing, Core Temp reads:

Note the "(!)" by one of the cores, which Core Temp says:
(!) represents a warning notifying the user that his processor has reached a critical temperature at least once while Core Temp has been running.
This is an indication to a severe overheating issue and should be attended to as soon as possible to prevent instability and damage to components.

Now, I'd normally set Core Temp, when a core reaches, say, 175 F (79 C), to run a batch file with
powercfg -setacvalueindex SCHEME_BALANCED SUB_PROCESSOR PROCTHROTTLEMAX 50
powercfg.exe -setactive SCHEME_CURRENT

That did keep the temperature regulated for my last laptop, but doesn't seem to help much for my current one. What I've done now is set Armoury Crate to Windows mode, and I've so far played a fair bit in my really intense 3D games, seems to lag a bit more and take a bit longer to fully render things, but thus far the temperature has not exceeded 158 F/70 C. I'd like to set it so it can go faster, but I want to keep the temperature below 190 F/88 C, is there a good way to set the computer not to exceed that temp?
101 REPLIES 101

rogdood
Level 9
If I remember correctly, turbo will OC you GPU by a bit, yes, resulting in more heat. I've yet to find a game that cannot run full HD on max settings, maybe 2020 titles at full 144 hz would be a struggle, but other than that, I usually disconnect the fan link on the profile and manually set to 100% fan speed. Not ideal due to noise, but gives me more peace of find.

Interesting read on the PL1 and PL2 limits, it got me thinking that the dynamic adjustment set up from the box is a bit too much and definitely not safe long term for the CPU to hover so close to tjmax. So I'll probalby start playing with those limits as well.

Too bad 9750h doesn't have unlocked multipliers, would have hapily lowered them for the same of thermal improvement.

gr8john6
Level 10
Been a while since this thread has been active but I have to ask. There is a new BIOS dated late June 2021. Does this thing still disable UV?
P.S> Yes it does. Don't upgrade if you need UV.