New build as of today...

Asus Crosshair Formula-Z Motherboard
Corsair Dominator Platinum 8x2gb 1600mhz
Samsung 840 Pro 256gb
AMD FX 8-Core CPU 4ghz
XFX R7950 3gb Double Dissipation Video Card
TR2 RX 750W Bronze Power Supply
Thermaltak Overseer RX-I Full Tower
Running with two 20cm fans, one top one front, and 1 12cm fan in the rear.

Motherboard 34C
CPU 40C
Installed GPU-Z and the GPU Temp is currently 61C Fan Speed 33%
CPU is at 45C while running the BluRay movie

Finished up today putting it together, everything seems to be in ordered. Trippled checked it already but the system will shut off and the only way for me to turn it back on is to flip the power switch on the power supply.

Really noticed it when I tried running 3DMark. After the 2nd try, opened the case, touched the board of the video card and it was extremely hot!

Tried Youtube, the temp never changed, I'm playing Indian Jones & The Raiders of the Lost Ark in the background (BluRay quality) and the temp has yet to rise.

I had GPU-Z running and tested it with 3DMark Fire Strike and just before my computer shut down the GPU temp was at 92C

Checked XFX's website to see what they have for info about over heating and this is what was in their FAQ...

"Normal operating temperature should be 30~95 Celsius. Most cards will idle in the 40's or 50's Celsius, and when under a gaming load run in the 70's to 80's . If running an extreme stress test or using the GPU to do OpenCL calculations the card can run into the lower 90's."

So does that mean that its possibly not the video card and I've been focusing on the wrong problem or am I thinking incorrectly that the vid card is over heating when there is a possibility its something with the CPU, or MOBO?
17 REPLIES 17

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, Cybrex.

That does sound alarming. What you can do is ramp the fans to 100% then run 3DMark again. See if that lowers your temperatures.

Zka17
Level 16
I would ramp up the speed of the graphics card's fan(s)...

HiVizMan
Level 40
Are you using any VGA OC software to monitor or OC your VGA? If yes ensure that you allow the fan controller to ramp up, or the fan will stay at 35% or what ever the default is.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Are you using any VGA OC software to monitor or OC your VGA? If yes ensure that you allow the fan controller to ramp up, or the fan will stay at 35% or what ever the default is.

I am not actually. I've never OC'd any rigs before and the temp monitor programs I've been using are HWMonitor & CPU-Z. What program would you suggest?

Also, I attempted Tomb Raider to see if that would run, system shut off at the screen for selecting new game multiplayer, etc. Something is not happy.

HiVizMan
Level 40
No something is not happy at all.

Do you have access to another VGA? Can a mate lend you one if you do not. Want to remove the VGA as a possible cause.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I would also try a different PSU if possible....sudden outs like that can be bad power supply....

Your RAM? is that one kit or two ? running DOCP?

Ya, I'm going to grab my old card from my girlfriends pc I just stuck it into yesterday and see what happens, Unfortunately the only other PSU I have is my gf's and its only a 500w so not sure if thats enough to run all the new gear.

RAM was 1 kit, as far as I am aware, no DOCP. I haven't messed with any settings in BIOS or installed anything to tweak.

Cybrex
Level 7
So installed my old Radeon 5770, ran 3dMark, and completed it with no shut downs.

So, does this confirm its the VCard, or is there still a chance that the PSU could be the issue being that, that card requires less power than the beast I had installed before?

Cybrex wrote:
So installed my old Radeon 5770, ran 3dMark, and completed it with no shut downs.

So, does this confirm its the VCard, or is there still a chance that the PSU could be the issue being that, that card requires less power than the beast I had installed before?

Please RMA your video card. The behaviour you are having indicates a faulty cooling solution. Do not mess with it return it.