cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix-A D4 Memory Issues?

vulcan78
Level 9
(Also posted in Z690 and Build Advice sub-forums, posting here as this pertains to memory overclocking stability)

Edit: As an update, having further scrutinized the QVL I did find much better 4x8 sticks with much lower timings and latency. I managed to grab one of the few remaining Royal heat-spread variants of this memory on ebay and will return my order of the original memory as I have yet to open the packaging and am within the return window. I'm still concerned that this may not work even at the stated XMP speed:

I ordered: https://www.gskill.com/specification/165/299/1580449585/F4-4000C15Q-32GTRS-Specification

Which is the Royal heat-spreader version of: https://www.gskill.com/specification/165/166/1580378326/F4-4000C15Q-32GTZR-Specification which is on the QVL. I'm still relatively new to this and haven't upgraded in a while, I'm assuming that although the Royal variant is not on the QVL that it is the same memory as the latter listed here (going by timings, voltage etc.) just with Royal heat-spreaders. I have more confidence in this kit as it's a 4 stick matched kit whereas previously I was going to try to run two separate 2x8 kits that were not matched.

Anyhow, I am concerned with how successful I will be trying to run them at 4000 MHz XMP as it seems most Strix A D4 owners here are struggling to get their system to boot above 3800 MHz, (but much tighter timings). And if things are stable I intend to try to boot with 4 sticks, even though 4 sticks of these particular dimms aren't on the QVL.

I managed to find BIOS 0707 here, should I flash to that before proceeding with the mobo and CPU swap? Also, is there any reason 0707 is not officially available yet?

I became concerned with the viability of this board after viewing FrameChaser's recent appraisal of it where he says that many owners are having tremendous difficulty getting memory speed above 3800 MHz to work (video can be found earlier in this thread). I don't ascribe much authority to FrameChaser's information per se, there could be many variables here, to include BIOS version, memory timings, and whether or not the memory in question is on the QVL but there are other reports here that tend to corroborate his assessment, that getting memory above 3800 MHz to work with this board is currently problematic. I believe zhrooms may have managed to get memory working at 4133 MHz?

I am upgrading from 8700k + 3090 FE under full loop to 12900k. I'm essentially just upgrading the motherboard, CPU and memory, but will need to completely disassemble my loop and PC as the rads are due for flushing (Mayhems Blitz) due to EKWB Mystic Fog fallout.

Given how much work is entailed with this upgrade I am going to try to do this without clean installing Windows, using this guide: https://youtu.be/3Jv8zf2RJq8

Also, going by the Newegg reviews for this board, there is an issue where if you don't install the LAN drivers before hand you will not be able to connect to the internet?

In preparation for this project I have two system images and a cloned boot drive on hand to fall back on or return to my Z370 board if I can't get this to work and I have Windows rescue media should I have to resort to clean installing Windows on one of the drives. I'm staying on 10 for the time being, I don't like the changes that were made to 11 and don't know how useful the scheduler will be for 12900k in regards to gaming.

Two of my biggest concerns are having a problem with Windows, i.e. Blue Screen Boot Loop, or the memory, or worse, not being able to tell whether or not the problem is the memory or Windows.

To rule out the memory I can run MemTest86 which I understand is built into the BIOS now (I've been using Gigabyte for the past 4 years) and also drop the speed down to 3200 MHz or lower and I can clean install Windows on a drive to rule out the OS.

I also intend to use Thermal Grizzly conductonaut between the 12900k IHS and EKWB LGA 1700 Supremacy 2 block (EKWB CE 420 + XE 360, 2x D5 in serial). Currently I have Conductonaut on both my 8700k and 3090 FE and the temps are phenomenal.

Looking for any feedback, tips, help and corroboration with all of the above.

Thanks in advance.
1 REPLY 1

vulcan78
Level 9
Update, having further scrutinized the QVL I did find much better 4x8 sticks with much lower timings and latency. I managed to grab one of the few remaining Royal heat-spread variants of this memory on ebay and will return my order of the original memory as I have yet to open the packaging and am within the return window. I'm still concerned that this may not work even at the stated XMP speed:

I ordered: https://www.gskill.com/specification/165/299/1580449585/F4-4000C15Q-32GTRS-Specification

Which is the Royal heat-spreader version of: https://www.gskill.com/specification/165/166/1580378326/F4-4000C15Q-32GTZR-Specification which is on the QVL. I'm still relatively new to this and haven't upgraded in a while, I'm assuming that although the Royal variant is not on the QVL that it is the same memory as the latter listed here (going by timings, voltage etc.) just with Royal heat-spreaders. I have more confidence in this kit as it's a 4 stick matched kit whereas previously I was going to try to run two separate 2x8 kits that were not matched.