cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange issue after Overclocking.

davep122
Level 7
Hi,

I have a strange issue I hope someone can help with. I have a new PC with the ASUS P9X79 motherboard, full specs below. I overclocked to 4400. No issues under normal load. When gaming, browsing web etc, temps 55 -60, CPU load 20% max. If I stress test with Prime95 or Linx Real Temp gets to about 75 - 80 degrees and then throttles down. So it will have 100 x 44 get to say 80 degrees and throttle back down to 100 x 32 and then the temps fluctuate between 60 - 80

I followed this guide http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Kx2z07sFM2I, everything is set the same except it is 4400 and not 4800 and the CPU VCORE Voltage is set to offset .120. If I try set higher the text changes to yellow the red.

Here are the PC specs

CASE: Corsair Carbide Series 400R Mid-Tower Gaming Case
CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i7-3930K Six-Core 3.20 GHz 12MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011
Two extra Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans
Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator(Push-Pull)
HDD: 128 GB OCZ Vertex 4 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s - 535 MB/s Read & 200 MB/s Write
HDD2: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
MEMORY: 32GB (4GBx8) DDR3/1866MHz Quad Channel Memory
MOTHERBOARD:ASUS P9X79 LE Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3
POWERSUPPLY: 1000W Coolermaster Silent Pro PSU
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card

Thanks
Dave
13 REPLIES 13

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Your problem, I suspect, is in too much Vcore! An offset voltage of .120 for a mild overclock is, I think, too much. The VRM should always be actively cooled overclocking...this is what you have shown in your pic not PCH.

For 4.4 try the minimum offset of 0.005 or even -0.005 should work

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Your problem, I suspect, is in too much Vcore! An offset voltage of .120 for a mild overclock is, I think, too much. The VRM should always be actively cooled overclocking...this is what you have shown in your pic not PCH.

For 4.4 try the minimum offset of 0.005 or even -0.005 should work

Ok VRM that's what I meant. I always get them confused. Intel keeps coming up with all these names. He is probably running Vcore too high if he followed JJ's vid for a 4.8ghz OC but the main cause is the VRM getting too hot which is causing the throttling. This is first hand knowledge with two P9X79 boards that did the same thing. I even tried replacing thermal pads on second one and it still needed the fan.
"I would rather be gaming!" Grunts-clan.com
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
http://Pcjunkiemods.com
http://c2cmods.com

Zka17
Level 16
Oh yeah, you guys are talking about the VRM (that heatsink above the CPU), as Arne said... the PCH/South Bridge is lower, below the graphics card, and has not too much to do with prime95 stressing...

Overheating the VRM can and will cause throttling... so, as stated before, it needs adequate cooling... The main drawback of using a closed-loop cooling system is that the VRM region will loose the airflow. So you need to do some adjustment to prevent that... the easiest way to get a nice airflow on the VRMs, is to change the direction of the airflow on the top and/or rear fans... doing it on the top fans actually may be better, but depends on the case...

In the present situation, the radiator/fan setup bulges too much into the case... it covers some heatsink on the left of the CPU, which is connected, I believe, to the main VRM heatsink through a heatpipe - so it's an important part of the VRM cooling... having it covered, meaning no airflow... I would try to mount the radiator directly on the chassis and the rearmost fan place outside...

After that, if the top fans are aready sucking in the fresh air, you can try to mount on them a deflector to redirect the air toward the VRM heatsink... You can leave the rear rad/fan setup as exhaust... Then, set the side fans as exhaust - that will help exhausting the hot air from the VGA too... and keep the front fans as intake...

Also, check the voltage issue, Arne mentioned above...

HiVizMan
Level 40
What is your vcore under load when you are running Prime?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.