cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stable OC 5.0Ghz Guide on i9-9900k

Khean
Level 10
Hello Guys!

i need someone who can help me on this matter.

specs to overclock
i9-9900k + Z390-E + H150i PRO 360mm AIO


Thank you in advance.
5,808 Views
11 REPLIES 11

neoforo87
Level 7
Hi there :).

well I have seen quite a few guides on this subject. My goal was to undervolt/ find the perfect voltage for the cpu (I have an I9 9900k as well).

Der8auer has a good video on this subject https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Ujni7-fVM and the other one is by JJ from Asus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOXH2YIMi2Y.

Give them a try and see where you land with the clocks.

My advice on this is, that the I9 9900k is a very hot sucker especially while running AVX loads. I don't know what games u play but for example i found out couple of weeks ago that Battlfield 5 for instance uses AVX.

So if I were you I'd go for 5GHz with an AVX offset of 3 maybe 2. That means when the cpu will run AVX instructions it will downclock to 4.8 or 4.7 GHz.

The temps really go out of control when AVX kicks in at 5GHz.

The difference between 4.7GHz and 5Ghz is really minimal in terms of FPS but huge in terms of Temperature. We are talking of 10FPS max usually more like 5-7FPS.

Just keep in mind that although you have a good cpu cooler the vrm area will not have the same ventilation as if you would be using an air cooler.

Go easy on it;).

I hope this helped :).

neoforo87 wrote:
Hi there :).

well I have seen quite a few guides on this subject. My goal was to undervolt/ find the perfect voltage for the cpu (I have an I9 9900k as well).

Der8auer has a good video on this subject https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Ujni7-fVM and the other one is by JJ from Asus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOXH2YIMi2Y.

Give them a try and see where you land with the clocks.

My advice on this is, that the I9 9900k is a very hot sucker especially while running AVX loads. I don't know what games u play but for example i found out couple of weeks ago that Battlfield 5 for instance uses AVX.

So if I were you I'd go for 5GHz with an AVX offset of 3 maybe 2. That means when the cpu will run AVX instructions it will downclock to 4.8 or 4.7 GHz.

The temps really go out of control when AVX kicks in at 5GHz.

The difference between 4.7GHz and 5Ghz is really minimal in terms of FPS but huge in terms of Temperature. We are talking of 10FPS max usually more like 5-7FPS.

Just keep in mind that although you have a good cpu cooler the vrm area will not have the same ventilation as if you would be using an air cooler.

Go easy on it;).

I hope this helped :).


Oh Thank you! ill give a shoot on this one. ill post what will be the output.

This is what the best OC setup i could do.

813838138481388813858138681387

Here my following Benchmarks.

81389813908139181392813938139481395

Here is my GPU OC.

8139681397

Khean wrote:
This is what the best OC setup i could do.

813838138481388813858138681387


Hi Khean, sorry to bother you but hopefully you can help me as an amateur at overclocking. I just want to understand, I followed your same settings and I'm getting very high temps and BSOD. What's the first settings I should increase or decrease when this happens to reach a stable OC please?

Khean wrote:
This is what the best OC setup i could do.

813838138481388813858138681387


So, why ur speedstep is enabled? Cuz I saw a lot video and they disable it . I ask cuz I dont have idea.. sorry ! 😄 Also I heard about avx, It created stability problems.. Mostly said , use on 0 ..

Zka17
Level 16
It is looking good...

I was curious on your RB testing... I was trying it with the same CPU, but with an air cooler (Dark Rock Pro 4) - your single benchmark produced less heat, but the 15 minutes test is very similar... I am satisfied with the air cooler!

Zka17 wrote:
It is looking good...

I was curious on your RB testing... I was trying it with the same CPU, but with an air cooler (Dark Rock Pro 4) - your single benchmark produced less heat, but the 15 minutes test is very similar... I am satisfied with the air cooler!


Dark Rock Pro 4 was my first option but they don't have here in Kuwait. So i went to AIO 360mm instead.