cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stability issues 8350, new build, 1st AMD

spyro
Level 7
Issue:
My build will work for a little bit (10mins to an hour) before screen locks up and I am unable to do anything.
A restart gives me "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insure Boot Media in selected Boot Drive".

Goal:
I want stock 4 ghz for longivity. I'm looking for this build to last 10 years. I've planned on slow upgrades over the next 6-12 months (example: add 8g ram until I max at 32G of ram), Pop on another r7 with crossfire as applications require it. Overall goal is 32G of ram and another r7 GPU.

Current Build Specifications:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z updated bios from 1801 to 2101. 2101 is current Bios
FX-8350 stock air cooled (what came with CPU)
Gigabyte R7 VGA Gigabyte GV-R7265WF2OC-2GD R
PCU- OCz ZX series 1250 Gold Power Supply
Ram- 1 8G stick...F3-14900CL10S-8GBXL DDR3-1866 PC3-14900 8192MB X 1 CL10-11-10-30 1.5V
Tower - Cooler Master

Observations:
It seems I have the most problems with this machine if the Core temp goes over 35 C. This machine will run fine from 24 C to 35C. I let the abient room temperature climb and the machine core hit 40 C and it seems that is when the problem starts (this is a Seat Of My Pants observation).

I have downloaded CPU-Z to see if anything out of the ordinary is going on. The CPU will jump from 4.1 to 4.2 with the multiplier moving from 7 to 20 just sitting at idle. I have 3 screens open on this forum. So I wouldn't think that would cause it.

A picture is worth a thousand words especially since this is my first AMD build. I've researched these builds and thought that a stock 8350 on a crosshair V formula-Z would be a good trouble free build. I was planning on doing 3 more of these same builds for my boss and his company. I figured if problems would arise I would be able to address them faster due to the familararity of the system. I've read the forums for the last 2 days addressing this issue (not including planning my build over the last year).
I thought this we we a simple open and close build. put it together, add GPU, CPU, and RAM and deal with Bill Gates. Turns out Bill was the easy part.

Back story and MISC ramblings:
I was hoping this build would be as reliable as my last computer (my mule) 1993-1995? Dell Dimension E310. yup mr P4 3.1 Mhz with 1G or Ram and the 512k video card. The mule STILL after 20 years has never (knock on wood) given me any issues. It will run in 84F ambient room temperature. I swear you can't kill that P4. Much more reliable than my Sony F series I7. The Vaio laptop didn't like heat. It had to be in a 76F room to work properly (or colder) anyways... I'm sitting a room with a jacket on in Arizona on a 109F day with the AC blowing to keep this 8350 cool since it doesn't want to run on it's own atm. back to the point.

Pictures:
Thank you ASUS for allowing the pictures in BIOs be Bitmap, and then force us to convert to Jpeg to share with others. Great idea. How about just have F12 preset to save as Jpeg or allow us to post Bitmap. your call..

i made some slight changes to the stock numbers from what I found online from a ROG tech in a forum post.
Dram Read to Read set at 5
Dram Command 2T
CPU/NB Manual voltage 1.2
I set Ram at 1600 hoping for more stability. prefer if it could take the full 1866.
Also set the CL's at 10-11-10- and 30
Dram Voltage 1.5

Thanks for the help to get me rolling.
5 REPLIES 5

NemesisChild
Level 12
Welcome to the forum!

How did you update your bios? Did your return the settings to default and have you tried clearing the CMOS?
Are you running just one 8GB stick of memory?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

ugg. lost my reply.. lol

NC..
step 1 ... reset defaults in 1801 bios
step 2 .... pushed CMOS
step 3... flashed the 2101 bios into flash as per instructed on page 2-12 of user manual.

I know the new bios took effect because the 1801 default settings on the RAM (CL 9,9 etc.. ) changed to new bios which was 11,11, and 27 (if my memory serves me correct .. anyways.. )

I took these steps as you mentioned on a previous post.. so as not to 'brick' the new mother board.
I applied the new Bios because i read where it would help stability. After 10 hours of reading posts and blogs I was hoping it would help.

It seems... (computer's been running for the last 6 hours ok) I have to keep my portable AC blowing on my dang computer to keep it going. Which, if, electricity was free, it wouldn't be a big deal..
So, 9,000 BTU portable AC blowing on 8350 maintains a 30 C core temp.
Yes, just 1 stick of 8G ram.... was going to put another in next month when i got paid ( i know two of anything is more stable than 1......it's just , my ex wife took my money tree). so, i have to go slow these days..

please note, I hope you can see this, might be too much info on 1 shot..
if you look at the cores, 1-8 move randomly or sometimes all at once like in the pic (far right shot) // they jump from 1.4 mhz up to 4.2 and the multiplier goes from 7 to 20.. Is this normal?

NemesisChild
Level 12
Is there a reason why you have C&Q disabled?
This caught my eye and with your CPU voltage on Auto, your Vcore goes from 1.008 to 1.416v.
I know money is tight, but you really do NOT want to run unmatched memory sets.

I don't think it's a CPU heat related issue, unless there's some wacky sensor problem.
Your DRAM voltage is running a bit below 1.50v, try raising it in small increments.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

I have just the One stick of 8G of Ram, .. will buy a matching set (that will make 2) in a month. I know two sticks are better than one. But, I'd rather do two sticks of Ram @ 8G for a total of 16 and keep working towards 32G.
Waste of money for two sticks at 4G for a total of 8G and then have to throw that 86 dollars in the trash.

Nem... whats C&Q?... you're talking to a noob here. I'm literally getting a CRASH course here. LOL You tell me what I should put it at.. and I'm Ears man.
ahhhh.. cool and quiet? ..

K done. I put it at enabled. You see anything else that jumps out?

spyro
Level 7
Nem,
That seemed to help it. I appreciate the time you took to look my bios. I think I'll toss in another stick of 8G of ram and a water cooler and try my luck at over clocking. I have 'noodles' model to follow.
thanks again bud!!!