cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD Clearing help needed...

New2Mod
Level 8
I wanted to make sure I was able to install everything correctly so I installed a new SSD to my system and installed the OS to it.

Now I want to clear the other SSD so I can start installing the programs, do I use format or delete volume?
6 REPLIES 6

Chino
Level 15
If the other SSD didn't have an OS on it, a reformat will be just fine. If it had an OS on it, I'd delete the partitions and redo them because W7 makes a hidden 100MB partition to keep the bootloader. This might get in the way of your new OS install. And besides, 100MB is a lot to lose. 😛

I installed a clean windows 7 OS on a new SSD, the one I "was" using is going to be my Programs drive now (it contains a win7 OS also, just has a lot of junk on it too).

If it were an HDD I would just reformat and roll with it as a second drive, being new to SSDs I don't want to do something stupid.

Thank you for the reply

Chino
Level 15
In that case, delete the 2 partitions (Hidden + OS) from the old SSD then make a new one to recover those 100MB.

New2Mod
Level 8
Done, Thank you...

Snakeyes
Level 11
If the old SSD had junk on it, you should secure erase the SSD before proceeding. Or else your speeds could be affected. A reformat/deletion will not accomplish that.
NAME THE SANDWICH: – White Bread, Lots of Baloney, Russian dressing and served with a small pickle.?

Intel Core i7 8700K @5.1 Stable Delidded
Asus Maximus X Code

16 GB
G skill TridentZ DDR4 ​4266 (PC4 34100)
Corsair HX1000i digital
EVGA 1070 GTX TiSuperclocked+
Samsung NVMe SSD 960 pro M. 2
Samsung 860 Pro
Watercooled with EK block radiator fans etc.

New2Mod
Level 8
Can anyone tell me why this doesn't work with Win7?? Changed the Program directory in reg from C: to D:... fail.

I am to old to be pulling my hair out LOL.