Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some quick questions regarding 2133 RAM @ 2400, voltages, and temps

Martigen
Level 7
Hello!

A few quick questions for the experts here:

1) I have a 16GB Dominator Platinum 2133 kit, rated voltage 1.5. Is it ok to run this at 1.65 to achieve 2400 speeds on a 24/7 basis?

Given the (more expensive) Dominator Platinum 2400 kit runs at 1.65, I presume this is simply what's required for 2400 and above, and the 2133 kit may just be a slightly lower binned set of the same chips in the 2400 kit. But, you know, I'd rather not find out the hard way that running them at 1.65 24/7 was a bad idea!

2) Does increasing RAM voltage have an impact on the CPU's IMC? I thought I read somewhere that it might, but not sure if this is substantiated.

3) Does raising RAM voltage also increase the temperature of the motherboard's (Rampage IV Formula) VRMs? I'm assuming it does, but checking (and, how big an impact?).

4) Does raising VCCSA and VTT also have an impact on CPU temp? And if so, to the same degree as raising vcore?

5) FInally, can anyone explain the differences in the VRM phase modes of 'Standard', 'Optimized' and 'Extreme'? Here is my understanding, please correct where necessary:

• Standard -- while CPU load is low, only a few of the phases are used, and they are the same phases every time (but how many is this? 1, 2, 3?). When CPU load is high, all phases are used and tehnically becomes the same as 'Extreme'.
  • Optimized -- a set of phases are cycled to distribute load across the VRM, to improve longevity. The number of phases is fixed regardless of load. For eg if there are 8 phases, it might cycle in four blocks of two at a time (do we know the exact number?)
  • Extreme -- all phases are active all of the time, regardless of load.

If so it would seem Standard would be the better option over Extreme, if you need all phases to maintain your clock, as at least with Standard the VRMs would cool while the CPU is less busy. And optimized would the best option overall, as long as your overclock is stable using Optimized.

Thankyou in advance!

Mart
3 REPLIES 3

HiVizMan
Level 40
1 Yes you can but no guarentees, all the ram has to do is run at the speed on the label. But yes I suspect it will. What CPU do you have?

2 Yes it does

3 You are drawing more current to the system so yes there will be an increase in the work the VRMs are doing, not by much mind you.

4 Yes but not to the same level as vcore alone.

5 Raja has a bios guide that explains all those terms for you, suffice to say I use optimized most of the time.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Thanks for the quick reply HiVizMan. I think I read Raja's guide a while ago, but didn't find the specifics of how the phase modes actually worked. Will look again and see if my questions are answered there.

I should probably have posted some specs:

CPU is 3970X @ 4.6
LLC Medium
Vcore: Offset -0.010 (hits about 1.376 under full load)
VTT: 1.100
VCCSA: 1.050

Totally stable, temps acceptable in heavy tests like Linx - hitting around 85 under load with an H100i. Thinking of pushing the 2133 kit to 2400, but this means increased VTT/VCCSA and RAM voltage, all of which would increase VRM heat, and I have in the past had crashes which I eventually tracked down to VRM temps (was playing at 4.7 at that time with increased vcore among other things).

I too use Optimized, and don't want to rely on settings like Extreme at higher overclocks again to avoid VRM temp issues. However, I was wondering if Standard might work out better -- but not, if as I theorise above, it's effectively the same as Extreme when the CPU is under load.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Not a given you will need any additional voltage besides a touch of voltage to the dram.

Thing is just do it. Increase the memory to 2400MHz and see. If it does not post to OS, add some to the 1.50 and try again. You have no guarantee your CPU will even run that frequency either.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.