Setting RAM to factory clock

fabio7586
Level 7
Hello I need help with ram configuration;
My specs are:
Rampage VI extreme
I9 7920x
Gskill 32GB F4-3600C17D-32GTZR.

When I set RAM to 3600mhz with xmp and save and exit, it starts and working without error (I have launched prime95 for more than 3 hours without bsod). After shutting down, when I try to start again motherboard stops itself to detect memory. Randomly won't shut down. I have activated training to try to solve, but nothing was changed. Please someone can help me?
6 REPLIES 6

feedmeink
Level 12
I have same board with 7980xe. Have spent countless hours playing with ram. I am stable at 3600. Can you list what vccio voltage and system agent voltage you are using? What is your current dram voltage? Are secondary timings at auto? Did you just set to xmp?

feedmeink wrote:
I have same board with 7980xe. Have spent countless hours playing with ram. I am stable at 3600. Can you list what vccio voltage and system agent voltage you are using? What is your current dram voltage? Are secondary timings at auto? Did you just set to xmp?

Oh dear, thank you for reply! As i say in first post i've setted ram to 3600mhz with xmp and then i have activated training because i read somewhere in this forum that this option worked for my problem.
Setting xmp i didn't played with voltage. According xmp specific,current voltage RAM is 1,350V.

Thanks for help.

JustinThyme
Level 13
These boards and CPUs *are finicky as hell with ram timings. Faster always equals bigger headache. Some kits work XMP flawlessly where others won’t run XMP no matter what you do. Add insult to injury and it gets worse when you change stock clocks on the CPU so it’s always beneficial to settle in your OC on the CPU and uncore first. I got lucky with the 3800 dominator I’m my specs. Runs XMP perfectly but I found I get better results dialing back to 3200 MHZ and CL16. Someone did a nice test and write up about a year ago showing the ludicrously priced 4200 MHz ram had inferior performance to 3600. Linus did one that showed anything over 3200 was a waste of money. Sounds good on paper but in this case faster doesn’t = better.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
These boards and CPUs *are finicky as hell with ram timings. Faster always equals bigger headache. Some kits work XMP flawlessly where others won’t run XMP no matter what you do. Add insult to injury and it gets worse when you change stock clocks on the CPU so it’s always beneficial to settle in your OC on the CPU and uncore first. I got lucky with the 3800 dominator I’m my specs. Runs XMP perfectly but I found I get better results dialing back to 3200 MHZ and CL16. Someone did a nice test and write up about a year ago showing the ludicrously priced 4200 MHz ram had inferior performance to 3600. Linus did one that showed anything over 3200 was a waste of money. Sounds good on paper but in this case faster doesn’t = better.*

Thank you for reply. So if i understand, you are saying me that i have to play with settings to find best balance for my system, right?
But, follow my step:
I start pc ---> after a while it freeze with "Detect Memory"--->
Long press start button to shut down---> It start asking me to go inside bios for secure boot pressing F1--->After inside bios i only press F10 (save and restart) without touch anything---> PC pc start normally without any problems...

All of these with XMP.

So i think the problem is not related to clock purely, any ideas?

JustinThyme
Level 13
First disable fast start up.*
The F1 prompt after a hardware fault is normal for the situation and a product of the underlying issue. What you have to remember is any recent board past DDR 2666 jdec stamdard is an overclock. The marketed XMP is not always attainable, sometimes you don’t get it and others you can actually do better. *Gskill is usually reliable and one of my go to kits. TridentZ or Dominator Platinum are all I use. Give me a moment here to check your kit. I’ll edit after.*

Edit: yeah that’s a decent kit but yes to the drawing board tweaking. Sometimes just entering timings manually is fine. Sometimes just upping the juice to 1.4V works fine. Sometimes just backing off the frequency a a bit and lower the CL too to make up for it works. I’ve had somewhere I load XMP, save and exist then don’t let it boot by spamming *the delete key and taking it out of XMP while the profile is already loaded then check the frequency is at your XMP and double check timings then save and exit. The last way has all the XMP values loaded but it’s not in XMP mode. Weird I know but I’ve done it successfully many times. *Another chip might run XMP fine as uncore differs with the silicon lottery just as much as the cores do. *Frustrating I know.*

On the bright side......
It wouldn’t be as much fun if everything just ran where it’s set to and what you selected worked 100% of the time! *That’s for the dell forums, mostly because those options don’t exist!*:rolleyes::cool:

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
First disable fast start up.*
The F1 prompt after a hardware fault is normal for the situation and a product of the underlying issue. What you have to remember is any recent board past DDR 2666 jdec stamdard is an overclock. The marketed XMP is not always attainable, sometimes you don’t get it and others you can actually do better. *Gskill is usually reliable and one of my go to kits. TridentZ or Dominator Platinum are all I use. Give me a moment here to check your kit. I’ll edit after.*

Edit: yeah that’s a decent kit but yes to the drawing board tweaking. Sometimes just entering timings manually is fine. Sometimes just upping the juice to 1.4V works fine. Sometimes just backing off the frequency a a bit and lower the CL too to make up for it works. I’ve had somewhere I load XMP, save and exist then don’t let it boot by spamming *the delete key and taking it out of XMP while the profile is already loaded then check the frequency is at your XMP and double check timings then save and exit. The last way has all the XMP values loaded but it’s not in XMP mode. Weird I know but I’ve done it successfully many times. *Another chip might run XMP fine as uncore differs with the silicon lottery just as much as the cores do. *Frustrating I know.*

On the bright side......
It wouldn’t be as much fun if everything just ran where it’s set to and what you selected worked 100% of the time! *That’s for the dell forums, mostly because those options don’t exist!*:rolleyes::cool:

Thank you for your help! In meanwhile I was looking for solution so I found that increasing vccio to 1.008 to 1.015 it starts from cold boot normally. This is related post https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?100169-i9-7980XE-3600Mhz-GSkill-Rampage-VI-Exterme-quot-CO...

Thank you all for help and support!