cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROM/CAP confusion

TenBlade
Level 11
I´m on out-of-the-box BIOS ver. 0402, and it´s got a few quirks. So, I´ll take the plunge and go for the latest 1707.

Got a Fat32 formatted usb key ready, but the guide I found explains about the BIOS as a ROM file, and what I downloaded was CAP. There´s talk of a conversion app. for the Rampage boards, but what about the Maximus VF?

Can I simply flash with the CAP file (after renaming to MVE)? I want to use the ROG connect function.
5 REPLIES 5

Chino
Level 15
Hey there, buddy.

All the BIOS files on the Maximus V series motherboards are CAP format. There's no need to convert anything. And didn't you have a Maximus V Formula? in your case, it would be M5F.CAP.

TenBlade
Level 11
Ah, thanks for saving me again, mi compadre :cool:
ROG on!

HiVizMan
Level 40
The process is quite simple.

Download the appropriate cap converter and place onto the USB stick. You can then in the BIOS application simply select the CAP and let it run its course. Once done then select the bios of your choice.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

TenBlade
Level 11
Attempting the flash now, had a couple of failed attempts, where the ROG button would flash like three times or so, and then nothing...
Hadn´t given it any thought, but I removed all usb, internet, sound, and monitor cables, and now it seems to work. There´s a red diode near the CMOS battery that´s flashing...and now it´s stopped, and the ROG button is dark. I´ll reconnect my stuff and start´erup, I´ll leave the formatted key in the white usb socket.

TenBlade
Level 11
Wow, 1707 has changed a lot. Got my Nvidia Surround set up nicely. Got a stable 4.3 GHz, reaching max 70 degr. on Prime95.
But CPUID has some issues with overclocking on lean power settings...