cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG XI Gene/9900K OC

nickolp1974
Level 10
After 18 months of being away from all things PC my new system arrives today which I am very much looking forward to having a play, will have to wait another day or 2 for my cooling solution to arrive and it's nothing extreme! Anyway by the weekend I should be able to contribute with my findings. 😄

On another note it's great to see a lot of familiar names especially Dag, hope your well bud, you were truly missed 😉
i9 9900K, ROG Gene XI, G.Skill 4266 and one big bucket!
113 REPLIES 113

nickolp1974
Level 10
Goodies all arrived, should there be any marks on the cpu? Never bought tray before. Looks like a faint outline of a cpu die shape and size. Won't jump to anything until tested and that won't be until tomoz unfortunately.

nickolp1974 wrote:
Goodies all arrived, should there be any marks on the cpu? Never bought tray before. Looks like a faint outline of a cpu die shape and size. Won't jump to anything until tested and that won't be until tomoz unfortunately.

Probably machining marks. Where did you buy the CPU?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
Probably machining marks. Where did you buy the CPU?

OCUK, sure it's fine and judging by other comments there it's not uncommon.

nickolp1974 wrote:
OCUK, sure it's fine and judging by other comments there it's not uncommon.

Mine was the same from there.

sherriffjb wrote:
Mine was the same from there.

How was your sample, have you done any OC on it?

nickolp1974 wrote:
How was your sample, have you done any OC on it?

Yeah it gets to 5 easy enough just running a slow incremental OC on it mucking about with the cache and AVX offset (Seems to run the offset during most gaming apps). Got a new PSU turning up tomorrow so I'm taking it easy as all of a sudden all my boards and cards have started singing so I think mines on the way out and don't want to push too hard.

HiVizMan wrote:
LOL not saying this happens, but it may...

Tray CPU's are binned by staff at some retailers and then the best ones are kept for the systems that they design and market as overclocked.

But not sure this happened in this case with this vendor.

Well... I'm not saying for sure they or did or didn't, I wasn't there.... but my heat spreader defo has an imprint on it and had what appeared to be thermal paste around the outer edges which came off with some isop'l, but that might have been tray gloop or whatever. Who knows how they were handled and when so maybe there is plenty of things that could explain it, might just be obs bias at my end but...you know.

I don't mind so much if they have, but I'd prefer them to say so one way or t'other. It's not like I'm into pushing ranks on results boards anymore so I'll be happy if I can get to 5.1 with a good cache speed, decent 24/7 voltage and no AVX offset, or as little as possible.

HiVizMan
Level 40

Tray CPU's are binned by staff at some retailers and then the best ones are kept for the systems that they design and market as overclocked.

To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:

They do say they don't do it there and I believe them tbh. Mr parry and his team are given there own trays of cpu's to bin and they do make enough systems that utilise the lesser chips.

nickolp1974 wrote:
They do say they don't do it there and I believe them tbh. Mr parry and his team are given there own trays of cpu's to bin and they do make enough systems that utilise the lesser chips.

Must stress I am in no way shape or forum suggesting that OCUK do this. I know for 100% certainty that some retailers do as I have binned the CPUs for them years ago.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

nickolp1974
Level 10
Not so sure I'd like one with thermal paste already on it, wouldn't be happy at all.