cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG VII Formula Fan Headers

lopezoa
Level 7
I got this board and successfully installed it. Love the looks of it and it seems to be a crowd pleaser from all the reviews I've read online. Anyway, I have a couple of questions regarding the z97 ROG VII Formula:

1. Are the fan headers linked? I noticed in FanXpert 3 that CPU, FAN 1A, FAN 2A and FAN 3A show up graphically but not the other fans individually. I noticed that if I happen to plug in in a B header, the fan would start but not be shown graphically in fan expert, so there is no way to control B individually from A (at least it seems that way). Is this correct? The manual is not particularly specific about the fan headers and whether or not they all work as pairs in FanXpert. Coming from a Z87 Sabertooth where you can control each fan header individually from each other (except for the CPU OPT header, of course), it all seems confusing to me.

2. Again, coming from an Asus Z87 Sabertooth, it looks like this board tends to run hotter using stock settings with my 4790K and air cooler. I'm using the same cooler (Dark Rock Pro 3) and same CPU I had on my Z87 and it seems that my overall temps on the ROG VII Formula (without OC) are high on iddle (36-38C vs 29-32C on Z87 Sabertooth). I tried reseating and reapplying thermal compound but achieved same overall high iddle temps... I know this board is geared toward OC and hardcore gamers but I'm wondering if a Z97 Sabertooth Mark 1 would have been a better choice for overall cooler iddle temps (on air) without OC. Any thoughts?

3. Any good OC guides for this particular board that can be shared?

Thank you all in advance for your time, expertise and help!
7 REPLIES 7

ExtRemeOcD
Level 7
my temps on idle with stock intel cooler are around 35-38. I have also noticed the same thing with the fan headers. I just make sure to plug them all into A

Yeah, it seems they all have to be plugged in to A headers. In FanXpert 3, I'm only able to see the graphical representation of fans in headers 1A, 2A and 3A along with CPU fan header. Is this the same for you? Funny the manual doesn't mention fan headers working in linked mode or independently from each other. Just dying to find out...

Can anyone confirm if the fan headers are linked on the ROG VII Formula?

lopezoa wrote:
Can anyone confirm if the fan headers are linked on the ROG VII Formula?

The Fan Headers are linked so you can only "control" 4. (1A, 2A, 3A and CPU fan) If you plug a fan in CPU_OPT fan header it will copy the settings from the CPU fan header, and the same will the others. 1B will copy 1A etc.

If you have used the 5-way optimization it may result in higher temp. In my case it did not optimize well, because i had a very high voltage and only got only 4.4 Ghz

If you use the Temp monitor in AI suite III then it's not accurate. Try using HWmonitor or realtemp to monitor.
And have only 1 temp monitor open at a time or the result will be inaccurate

Thank you! That's what I figured with ththe fans. In terms of temperatures, I guess I will manually dial in voltages for a 4.4ghz max on my 4790k. I'm using realtemp to measure temps from the CPU. Any good starting point for manually dial in voltages. I will be happy to get 4.4 ghz stable on idle around 30-32c on air. I may use my Noctua NH-D15 cooler instead of the Dark rock pro 3. Any suggestions and or links to manual voltages are welcome!

GGHOOST
Level 7
I have not oc my I7 4790K yet. I'm still waiting for ram and gpu. But when running 100% load I get 4.4 ghz because of the standard Intel boost so if I am going to oc I will aim at min 4.6 otherwise just go stock 😄

GGHOOST wrote:
I have not oc my I7 4790K yet. I'm still waiting for ram and gpu. But when running 100% load I get 4.4 ghz because of the standard Intel boost so if I am going to oc I will aim at min 4.6 otherwise just go stock 😄

Doing the same thing for now until I find a comprehensive OC guide for the ROG VII Formula. Thanks for your comments!