cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
156 REPLIES 156

HiVizMan
Level 40
Once you have worked out what you want switched off in services just write a batch file and run it from the desktop.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Once you have worked out what you want switched off in services just write a batch file and run it from the desktop.

That's a great idea, but what I really need are perfectly well thought out, reasonable and logical justifications to present to my wife for why I need to build a separate dedicated benching rig.

While you're working on that for me, I'll get busy writing those disable/enable batch files for Windows 8.1 and post them once I verify they work correctly. It's a win/win scenario!

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
@Arne & IM2L844: keep up the work guys, your findings will be listed as tips/tweaks 😉

@KP: thanks mate 😄

HiVizMan
Level 40
Its easy to convince the wife why you want a dedicated benching set up. Because you want it.

Then casually suggest over dinner one evening that maybe benching is to stay at home kind of thing and you have been wondering if you should spend more time doing other stuff with your buddies, and that you heard there was a new tittybar opening up in town. Amazing how good a benching hobby suddenly sounds.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Its easy to convince the wife why you want a dedicated benching set up. Because you want it.

Then casually suggest over dinner one evening that maybe benching is to stay at home kind of thing and you have been wondering if you should spend more time doing other stuff with your buddies, and that you heard there was a new tittybar opening up in town. Amazing how good a benching hobby suddenly sounds.

Wait! What? There's a new titty bar in town? *weighing my options*

Okay, so here's little batch file I've thoroughly tested on my system that will turn off various services then open RealBench with realtime priority. After RealBench runs as many times as you'd like, click on "quit" and the batch file will automatically re-start all the services including Windows Explorer. Boom! You have your fully functioning desktop back. You must leave the Command Prompt UI open for it to work.

You may want to customize it for your particular services set-up, but as far as the basic structure of it goes, it should work for both Windows 7 & 8. There is more than one way to skin a rabbit though. This is just one. Your mileage may vary. I would advise against modifying it too much without at least some knowledge of your particular system's services.

INSTRUCTIONS:

1.) Open a new text file in your RealBench folder then copy and paste the command lines below into it.

2.) In the first line and the next to last line, change the name of the internet connection from "Ethernet" to "the name of your connection". Keep the quotation marks.

3.) Go about halfway down the list of commands and change the location of RealBench.exe to where ever you keep yours (I happen to keep mine in the root directory).

4.) Now, Go to "file" and click on "save as" then do this in order: First, select the file type as "All files", type in a name you like with the .bat filename extension and press "Enter". That should save it in your RealBench folder as an executable .bat file rather than just a text file.

5.) Right click on the file and then go up to "send to" and over to "Desktop (create shortcut)".

6.) Go to your desktop, right click on the desktop shortcut then click on "Properties". In the bottom right corner click the "Advanced" button and put a check mark in the "run as administrator" box.

For the best experience, before using it, open task manager and disable all your third party startup programs (that can be automated as well, with the exception of some anti-virus and other maintenance programs, with the "tskill" or "taskkill" commands if you know the names and locations of the executables).

Now, just double click on the shortcut and you're off and running. I don't recommend using this until your fairly certain you already have a stable OC and your going for the gusto because, doing it this way, there are several steps to take before you can get a screenshot or snipping. I can try and explain how to do that, if anyone needs me to. If anyone is still sketchy about how to do any of this, just ask. I'll be happy to try and clarify, if I can.

netsh interface set interface name="Ethernet" admin=disabled
taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
Net stop AppMgmt
Net stop PeerDistSvc
Net stop TrkWks
Net stop WPCSvc
Net stop iphlpsvc
Net stop MSiSCSI
Net stop napagent
Net stop CscService
Net stop RpcLocator
Net stop SCPolicySvc
Net stop SNMPTRAP
Net stop StorSvc
Net stop WbioSrvc
Net stop wcncsvc
Net stop WMPscworkSvc
Net stop Browser
Net stop SstpSvc
Net stop SSDPSRV
Net stop upnphost
Net stop NcdAutoSetup
Net stop WinHttpAutoProxySvc
Net stop SharedAccess
Net stop CertPropSvc
Net stop HomeGroupProvider
Net stop HomeGroupListener
Net stop FDResPub
Net stop wsearch
Net stop Audiosrv
Net stop VaultSvc
Net stop Themes
Net stop MpsSvc
Net stop WSService
Net stop wuauserv
Net stop workfolderssvc
Net stop LanmanWorkstation
Net stop LanmanServer
start /realtime /wait C:\RealBench\RealBench.exe
START explorer.exe
Net start AppMgmt
Net start PeerDistSvc
Net start TrkWks
Net start WPCSvc
Net start iphlpsvc
Net start MSiSCSI
Net start napagent
Net start CscService
Net start RpcLocator
Net start SCPolicySvc
Net start SNMPTRAP
Net start StorSvc
Net start WbioSrvc
Net start wcncsvc
Net start WMPNetworkSvc
Net start Browser
Net start SstpSvc
Net start SSDPSRV
Net start upnphost
Net start NcdAutoSetup
Net start WinHttpAutoProxySvc
Net start SharedAccess
Net start CertPropSvc
Net start HomeGroupProvider
Net start HomeGroupListener
Net start FDResPub
Net start wsearch
Net start Audiosrv
Net start VaultSvc
Net start Themes
Net start MpsSvc
Net start WSService
Net start wuauserv
Net start workfolderssvc
Net start LanmanWorkstation
Net start LanmanServer
netsh interface set interface name="Ethernet" admin=enabled
shutdown /r

For simply testing stability with RealBench in realtime mode and explorer disabled, you could strip it down to this:

START explorer.exe
exit

This too will give you your desktop back automatically once you quit RealBench and it's very fast.

IM2L844 wrote:
Okay, so here's a rough draft of a little batch file

Nice one IM2l844! Thanks for that...will set that up when I get back...

IM2L844 wrote:

Okay, so here's little batch file I've thoroughly tested on my system that will turn off various services then open RealBench with realtime priority. After RealBench runs as many times as you'd like, click on "quit" and the batch file will automatically re-start all the services including Windows Explorer. Boom! You have your fully functioning desktop back. You must leave the Command Prompt UI open for it to work.

You may want to customize it for your particular services set-up, but as far as the basic structure of it goes, it should work for both Windows 7 & 8. There is more than one way to skin a rabbit though. This is just one. Your mileage may vary. I would advise against modifying it too much without at least some knowledge of your particular system's services.

INSTRUCTIONS:

1.) Open a new text file in your RealBench folder then copy and paste the command lines below into it.

2.) In the first line and the next to last line, change the name of the internet connection from "Ethernet" to "the name of your connection". Keep the quotation marks.

3.) Go about halfway down the list of commands and change the location of RealBench.exe to where ever you keep yours (I happen to keep mine in the root directory).

4.) Now, Go to "file" and click on "save as" then do this in order: First, select the file type as "All files", type in a name you like with the .bat filename extension and press "Enter". That should save it in your RealBench folder as an executable .bat file rather than just a text file.

5.) Right click on the file and then go up to "send to" and over to "Desktop (create shortcut)".

6.) Go to your desktop, right click on the desktop shortcut then click on "Properties". In the bottom right corner click the "Advanced" button and put a check mark in the "run as administrator" box.

For the best experience, before using it, open task manager and disable all your third party startup programs (that can be automated as well, with the exception of some anti-virus and other maintenance programs, with the "tskill" or "taskkill" commands if you know the names and locations of the executables).

Now, just double click on the shortcut and you're off and running. I don't recommend using this until your fairly certain you already have a stable OC and your going for the gusto because, doing it this way, there are several steps to take before you can get a screenshot or snipping. I can try and explain how to do that, if anyone needs me to. If anyone is still sketchy about how to do any of this, just ask. I'll be happy to try and clarify, if I can.

Net stop AppMgmt
Net stop PeerDistSvc
Net stop TrkWks
Net stop WPCSvc
Net stop iphlpsvc
Net stop MSiSCSI
Net stop napagent
Net stop CscService
Net stop RpcLocator
Net stop SCPolicySvc
Net stop SNMPTRAP
Net stop StorSvc
Net stop WbioSrvc
Net stop wcncsvc
Net stop WMPscworkSvc
Net stop Browser
Net stop SstpSvc
Net stop SSDPSRV
Net stop upnphost
Net stop NcdAutoSetup
Net stop WinHttpAutoProxySvc
Net stop SharedAccess
Net stop CertPropSvc
Net stop HomeGroupProvider
Net stop HomeGroupListener
Net stop FDResPub
Net stop wsearch
Net stop Audiosrv
Net stop VaultSvc
Net stop Themes
Net stop MpsSvc
Net stop WSService
Net stop wuauserv
Net stop workfolderssvc
Net stop LanmanWorkstation
Net stop LanmanServer
START explorer.exe
Net start AppMgmt
Net start PeerDistSvc
Net start TrkWks
Net start WPCSvc
Net start iphlpsvc
Net start MSiSCSI
Net start napagent
Net start CscService
Net start RpcLocator
Net start SCPolicySvc
Net start SNMPTRAP
Net start StorSvc
Net start WbioSrvc
Net start wcncsvc
Net start WMPNetworkSvc
Net start Browser
Net start SstpSvc
Net start SSDPSRV
Net start upnphost
Net start NcdAutoSetup
Net start WinHttpAutoProxySvc
Net start SharedAccess
Net start CertPropSvc
Net start HomeGroupProvider
Net start HomeGroupListener
Net start FDResPub
Net start wsearch
Net start Audiosrv
Net start VaultSvc
Net start Themes
Net start MpsSvc
Net start WSService
Net start wuauserv
Net start workfolderssvc
Net start LanmanWorkstation
Net start LanmanServer
shutdown /r

For simply testing stability with RealBench in realtime mode and explorer disabled, you could strip it down to this:

START explorer.exe
exit

This too will give you your desktop back automatically once you quit RealBench and it's very fast.

Is it possible to apply this system when running 3DMark Fire Strike/PCMark7? Will it improve the score? If the answer is yes, I will have to to change this: "start /realtime /wait C:\RealBench\RealBench.exe" to "start/realtime/wait C (or wherever the prog is installed)\3DMark\3DMark.exe"? Can it be done? If the answer is yes, then I need a few more changes.
I have basic 3DMark and PCMark7 which cannot upload the results offline.
So, I need to have explorer.exe and Browser to be enabled before pc is switched off in order to have my results online. Who can help me with this? When I'm done with 3DMark and PCMark7, I could always write an instruction in the running batch file to have explorer.exe and Browser services initiated in order to be online and have my scores. Can it be done? Anybody out there prepared to help?

IM2L844 wrote:

INSTRUCTIONS:

START explorer.exe

shutdown /r

START explorer.exe
exit

BSOD :cool:

It has nothing to do with the bat file, except that my problems started when I used it. Took me a few reboots to find the problem which quite simply put, the script turns of explorer.exe and that's all it takes to throw a BSOD near the end of test 2 😄

In disbelief I created a simple script that turns off explorer.exe and then runs realbench and every time I did it I get BSOD at the end of test 2. Go back to running with explorer.exe on and no problems.

I tried removing explorer.exe from the script but that causes other problems with other process/services so I gave up as I'm not that bothered at the moment.

The error reported was something along the lines of a interrupt was not handled with in the time parameters in a secondary processor. How that only happens when explorer.exe is turned off is beyond me.

I'll leave serious bench/stress testing to when I load the Linux system this week-end.

As always, I leave the Windoze world behind feeling amused/bemused/frustrated/tired and generally gob smacked, until the next time I boot Windoze to do some gaming.

Oh how I so wish the game devs would write for Linux or Mac :confused:
ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO

meankeys
Level 13
That sounds like an excellent plan HiViZMan 🙂

Menthol
Level 14
If I knew what I was doing I wouldn't need your batch file now would I 🙂