cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
156 REPLIES 156

Nodens
Level 16
Running with a pagefile.
Contrary to popular belief running with no pagefile is not faster. It can be the same as running with a pagefile or SLOWER. This happens due to how memory allocation is done. Programs can "reserve" memory in case they need it so that it can be immediately available. That memory stays unused until the application that requested it commits it.
When you run with no pagefile this "unused but reserved" memory ends up taking a portion of your physical RAM. If a pagefile is enabled, this "reserved" memory ends up being allocated on the pagefile, leaving physical RAM free for things that can actually use it or system cache.

In Realbench you will notice this. Run with a pagefile and without and you will see the difference. The pagefile size required depends on the amount of physical RAM and what is actually running and will run on the system. There are methods for calculating the optimal size of a pagefile (by checking the pack commit values on your maximum workload scenarios) but in the case of RB you can experiment with sizes:)

1.Hit Windows Key+Break
2.Click "Advanced System Settings"
3.Click "Advanced" tab
4.Under "Performance" click "Settings"
5.Click "Advanced" tab"
6.Under "Virtual memory" click "Change"

Link me up Myk! (I'll be posting a couple of more for starters).
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Directions on how to make the changes Nodens, I can't edit your post and put pics in 😛

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
Directions on how to make the changes Nodens, I can't edit your post and put pics in 😛

Oops, will fix them up in a minute:)

EDIT: Done! And I've also stickied the thread:)
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Hey would like some advices.

I ran this bench on my rig but only got 88k

Got an i7 4790k, delid and oc to 4.8 and a 1080 ti.

Use the realtime fix, killed explorer, ran in max performance... Don't know why it's so low.

Is it because i left the native resolution of 3440x1440 ?

When i see that some score are aroud 250k...

I got :
1190marks on xtu
923 on cinebench

thanks

thnks in advance fa tha help...

ive had tha same comp for like 6 - 7 years & been upgrading my stuff for years but now it comes down to processor chip & ram(allrdy upgraded ram but is maxed out @ 4gb 4slots of one & is 400-600mhz.....??) ive got 2.6ghz dual core & would like ta upgrade ta 3.2ghz quad core..... & i was really hopeing if i upgrade my chip i could upgrade my ram or is that a fix to be had with tha mother board.....?? but i upgraded my graphics card & is sluggish probly cause the ram is too slow.....

if ya could help that would be great & mebe i could provide more details if ya wanna chat or i could respond from this thread.....!!

Michael Ryan Sherman
DeMoN/ ¡MPuLsE / TwiTch

& yes im sorta noob but weh fix tha wif time.....!!
cool forums btw

Nodens
Level 16
Running on Windows 8
Windows 8 underlying engine is far more efficient for multithreading scenarios than any other version of Windows. A few things you have to take notice though if you're trying to push for top RB scores:

A) Disable Fast Boot:
Force your system to do a full initialization. With Fast boot on, not every check is made during the boot process and it can save you some time if you disable it when pushing for your system's OC, as instability may become apparent on boot.

You can disable this in the UEFI upon reboot. On the boards that support it.

B) Disable Hybrid Boot:
Hybrid Boot is enabled by default on Windows 8. It is a form of Hibernation (S4 - Suspend to Disk). With it on, Windows saves the Kernel on the system drive disk (hiberfil.sys) so that it can load it much much faster. The problem with this when pushing your clocks is that Kernel space corruption that did not manage to cause a crash, can be "saved on disk" and get reloaded on next boot causing a potential crash on potential stable settings. By disabling it, you ensure that each boot is a clean slate. Regarding boot speed it won't make much difference anyway if you are on SSD.

1. Go to "Control Panel" > "Power Options"
2. Click "Choose what the power buttons do"
3. Scroll down and untick "Turn on fast startup (recommended)"

RealBench Developer.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Thanks mate, appreciate it! heh, looks kinda awesome seeing one of my threads as a sticky :cool:

Already had the Pagefile one linked, just linked Windoze 8 😛

HiVizMan
Level 40
Aye lad that is what I want to see. Like the way you have laid it all out.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
Thanks Cap'n 😉

You can pick up I am visiting in Scotland the noo? 😛
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.