Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG AI Suite 3 / Fan Xpert2 - Arctic Freezer 13 Pro

Snorlaxxx
Level 7
Hi guys,

I'm starting to get really angry an the AI Suite 😄
It is giving me trouble controlling my CPU Fan. Specifically the Arctic Freezer 13 Pro.

Let me explain the stupid CPU cooler first:
It has two fans. A 120mm PWM and a 50mm "Crossblow" , which Arctic claims is PWM as well (700-2700 rpm), but looking at the cables there are only three wires to the 50mm and the yellow one goes through to the 120mm. So I guess the 50mm is a 3-pin fan. Both are connected together.

Since it is on the bottom of the heatsink I never watched it before, so I can't tell if it spins fast/slow or at a constant speed.
Till now I hat them run together like they came out of the box and had no problems with it. So I didn't care.
On my previous board (P5Q Turbo) I was using PC Probe II, which worked flawlessly.

Now with my Maximus VI Hero and the ROG AI Suite 3 it doesn't work anymore.

I tried different configurations:

- Fans together like stock, no calibration in FX2 = worked like a charm
But I want to make use of the Software's capabilities, so I ran the calibration. That's when the probs started...

The CPU Fans wasn't recognized at all as it was. I figured it was because of the 3-pin / 4-pin connection the heatsink has, so I ordered a PWM extension and disconnected the fans. Now the 120mm and 50mm are on their own.

- 120mm PWM @ CPU_FAN = runs full speed
- 50 mm @ CHA_FAN = not detected, grey exclamation mark, spins at full speed as well. No BIOS detection.

- 50mm @ CPU_FAN = no detection, F1 No CPU Fan Error, runs full speed
- 120mm @ CHA_FAN = works

So I disabled the No CPU Fan warning for the time being and monitored it.

I don't like this config. Makes me feel uncomfortable that there is "no CPU Fan" installed, in case something goes wrong...

After an hour or so the 50mm Fan began to make scratchy noises. At first I thought a cable got in the way. I checked and nothing. It just makes noise. I think, cause FX2 couldn't control the 50mm fan, running at full speed damaged the bearings of the fan. So that's nice... 😞
For now I unplugged it. The MoBo temps got 3-4 deg higher (38°) ... so yeah, it sucks.

Anyway, i switched the 120mm back @ CPU_FAN, where it runs at full speed and is not recognized by FX2, so not controllable.

AFAIK CPU_FAN connectors work with PWM and CHA_FAN connectors with both. That didn't seem to be the case.
My 50mm 3-Pin didn't work on either connectors and the 4-Pin PWM CPU Fan doesn't work on the CPU_FAN connector.

Befor the calibration they worked. Together and separately. So the Fans or the MoBo are not the issue. The Software is.

Now I'm thinking of uninstalling that crappy AI Suite 3 and try the "full version" of Fan Xpert2 (link?). Maybe that works.
Although i would prefer if it works with the AI Suite 3, 'cause I like all the other monitoring features.

Ideas anyone?! 🙂
= Maximus VI Hero - i7 4770K - G.Skill 32GB Ram - Corsair 900D - Custom WC loop =
5 REPLIES 5

HiVizMan
Level 40
I feel your pain, free bump as I do not work with AIsuite or fan expert.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Raja
Level 13
Set the CPU header to advanced in case those fans are DC mode and re rerun the calibration. Nothing more I can suggest as I don't have the system here in front of me to debug, plus you fall outside my territory for support.

I have already done that. For the 3-pin 50mm that is. Sadly with no solution. No matter how I pluged them in and how i set them up, they don't seem to work as they should. The only time the fan control worked was before I ran the first calibration. After that it got messed up.

The 120mm Fan is a 4-pin PWM and connected to the CPU_FAN, which should work, but doesn't. Today is a hot day here, so I don't mind the fans spinning higher (CPU fan @ full speed). CPU is at 40° and the MoBo at 44° according to AI Suite. Quite hot.
But ofc that's not a long term solution.

Like I said... I tried every combination. Now, that the 50mm fan broken, I only need to take care of the 120mm one. The only way it "worked" was as a CHA_FAN with the CPU_FAN set to "ignore". Not a solution I really like either 😕

How about the stand alone Fan Xpert 2 Software, does it work on the Maximus VI Hero? If I uninstall the AI Suite alltogether? Or is it the same thing behind the curtains?
= Maximus VI Hero - i7 4770K - G.Skill 32GB Ram - Corsair 900D - Custom WC loop =

Snorlaxxx
Level 7
Yesterday I recalled reading somewhere that someone had a fan control problem and that one suggestion was to quit the AsusFanControlService, so I tried that. I don't know if it was it or if it was pure coincidence but after I rebooted, ran the calibration again and selected a custom fan profile the CPU control now works again. Not sure about the 50mm @ CHA_FAN though. I didn't plug that one in yet and might leave it unplugged. Not that it screws everything up again 😄

Funny thing is now the graph looks different as before. It is green and the blue "blobs" are fully adjustable, even though the adjustable range says 90-100% with a min rpm of 1396. So something still is not right as it should be, but at this point I don't care as long as it keeps working.

Snorlaxxx wrote:
Yesterday I recalled reading somewhere that someone had a fan control problem and that one suggestion was to quit the AsusFanControlService, so I tried that. I don't know if it was it or if it was pure coincidence but after I rebooted, ran the calibration again and selected a custom fan profile the CPU control now works again. Not sure about the 50mm @ CHA_FAN though. I didn't plug that one in yet and might leave it unplugged. Not that it screws everything up again 😄

Funny thing is now the graph looks different as before. It is green and the blue "blobs" are fully adjustable, even though the adjustable range says 90-100% with a min rpm of 1396. So something still is not right as it should be, but at this point I don't care as long as it keeps working.

That's interesting what happened when you terminated the process. I was also having issues with 3 pin fans on the CPU/OPT-CPU when running the fan optimization.

Mine wouldn't even recognize the fans. But it did end up working now that I set the advanced mode in the BIOS for the CPU fan as Raja suggested.

The issue I'm having now is that I have issues seeing first off which fan profile is enabled at any given time as there is no way to show that, and it doesn't seem to hold profiles I change when I switch OC profiles or fan profiles.

Is there supposed to be 4 different fan profiles for each OC profile so 4 in total? OR is there only 4 main profiles that should be able to be changed and adjusted and selected for each OC profile?
i7-4470k Batch#: L312B332
4.5GHZ @ 1.2 vcore 24/7 Gaming
ROG Maximus Hero VI
Corsair 16gb @ 1600 mHz
EK Supremacy CSQ, EK Mosfet, & EK Chipset blocks
Dual Radiators 240mm and 360mm
EVGA SC 770 GTX - Koolance waterblock
Monsoon S2 Premium D5 Reservoir