cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIVE with 1404 BIOS WIN7 should I update bios?

dbit
Level 7
So I purchased my RIVE and built my box and have pretty much left it as is with some minor OC tweaking, nothing extreme. Lately I've run into a few stability issues and am considering flashing my bios and rebuilding my settings and I'm wondering, with 1404 bios still running, do I have a reason to update the bios? If so, to what? Reading all this stuff about cap converter and it being irreversible or something, but do I even need to go there? Any help or advice would be much appreciated, I searched but couldn't really find a pro/con thread regarding why/when to update the bios, and to which version for WIN7 users.

Thanks in advance for any help or assistance!
5 REPLIES 5

Zka17
Level 16
The OC process certainly will take you over the unstable stages... it's not about the BIOS,it's about how the OC'ing works... - you do need time to find the stable settings...

So, if the system works and you just see instability during OC'ing, then most likely it's about your settings, not the BIOS... in this case I would not update BIOS...

The 1404 version was pretty good for OC'ing if I remember correctly...

It also depends on which CPU are you using... 1404 is for SB-E, if you have IB-E, then you should update...

dbit
Level 7
Yeah, I'm using 3930k, and running win 7, so it sounds like I shouldn't really worry about the update? I've had certain problems over the life of the machine such as wake from sleep problems with certain USB devices plugged in, and lately hibernation problems as I'm running an APC UPS managed by their powerchute software, and noticed some of the updates address system stability and compatibility with certain USB devices. But I can live with those trade offs if 1404 is considered kind of the optimal BIOS vr for SB-E.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
It was certainly a good BIOS! good for memory OCing as well. really the later BIOSes were for win 8 compatibility and then IB-E compatibility...you might well find updating BIOS brings no real benefit.

However that the process is irreversible is not true. If you run the CAP converter you can flash back to 1404 by renaming 1404 ERALL.ROM.

You could also carefully remove one BIOS chip and update the other....

martyn
Level 10
I use 4206 bios on the RIVE and am also using the 3930K chip - using win 7 Ultimate 64bit - Service Pack 1. I haven't overclocked though although on occasion has used the turbo modes and ran with no issues at 4.2. Hope this info helpful.

To be noted - I believe all bios revisions after mine are for the IB-E ..... suggest double check that though!
Rampage iv Extreme.....3930 i7.....32gb Corsair Vengeance....Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme....Matrix HD 7970 x 2 in crossfire....Creative Fatality Champion Soundcard - With front drive bay....Themaltake Toughpower XT Gold 1475 watt power supply.....Samsung SSD 830 512gb...Samsung 1TB HD x 2....Samsung Blu Ray drive....Samsung DVD drive...Windows 7 Ultimate....Thermaltake Overseer RX-1 case

Menthol
Level 14
Your correct after 4206 is for IV-E compatibility, 1404 and 4206 are both very good bios versions for SB-E.
1404 may help with overclocking some older memory chips or may not, 4206 may have some additional options for uefi booting, I don't remember, either is good choice for SB-E CPU.