cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIVE: Will not wake from sleep! Big problem (Second RIVE)

z0ki
Level 10
Hey guys i got a big issue with my second RIVE in less than 1 year! And i'm really starting to lose my faith and trust in ASUS and the ROG range.

Yesterday i tried to put my PC into a sleep state to come back move my mouse to wake the PC up it did nothing the lights were on but no one was home. So i proceeded to turn off the PSU and turn the PC back on only this time the START/RESET lights were lit up but my PC just didn't want to turn on (similar to what happen to my last RIVE)

Now today i had a massive issue with my PC where when i was actually able to post and get into windows i could render videos and play games without an issue but soon as i put it to sleep and try and wake it up with my mouse/keyboard/power button i just will not turn on for the life of me!

I managed to do memtest+ ran with 8 passes with no errors..

A few hours ago i tried to turn the PC on and it just would not turn on at all for hours and hours, Turning the PSU off for a while then back on nothing, left the PSU on tried to turn it on nothing.

I tried the latest firmware for the BIOS to no avail so i reverted back to the one i have been using for a long time which is 3602..

This is my second rampage iv extreme in as many months and im really losing hope and im fed up! I was thinking of throwing out my whole PC in the bin earlier (excessive i know) but that's how frustrated i am!

What is causing this?

I tried 1 ram stick at a time, tried with no hard drives attached, no gpu etc with nothing working! Also tried a different PSU and cables with no avail. I also cleared CMOS, and also removed the battery for 10 hours

I decided to do a fresh install of windows 7 all went well, installed all the drivers played some iRacing for about 2-3 hours and everything was working fine! No BSOD's no erratic behaviour from my PC.. It just will not wake up from sleep either it be for 10 seconds or 10 minutes!
[NEW RIG] Custom Acrylic Loop / i7 8700K @ 5.3GHz 1.34v / Maximus X Formula / G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB 3466Mhz / EVGA 780 Ti Classified's @ 1478mhz SLI / Corsair AX1200i Digital PSU / Samsung 2TB 960 Pro NVME / Corsair 900D / All EKWB
27 REPLIES 27

KPRage
Level 10
Zoki, there are a lot of people having this issue running windows 7 apparently! You can Google it out.

Well, I found a link that may help you out. Please go through it once and, see if it solves the issues.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/1d478f44-2a24-4cca-9cff-40d639b7a8f1/window...

Take out the frustration and, calm down mate. A hot head, leads to a lot of components dead..;) Lets see if the link helps in any way. Please post back.. Never give up hope until you have tried it all mate.. 🙂

Cheers,
KP
CPU: Intel i5 3570k OC'd to 4.6GHz @1.170V; Mobo: MVG; GPU: Zotac 1070 mini OC'd to +210MHz/+205MHz; Memory: 8GB (2X4GB dual channel) Corsair Vengeance 1333Mhz 9-10-9-T2; SSD: Samsung 840 pro; HDD: 1TB WD Green 6Gbps; PSU: Corsair GS 600w; Case: Bitfenix Merc Alpha:Hybrid Octane in progress; Cooler: Corsair H80 closed loop cooling @ high profile;

Pre & Post Build Guide

A lot of epic FAIL videos are made before one epic WIN video is made 🙂

KPRage wrote:
Zoki, there are a lot of people having this issue running windows 7 apparently! You can Google it out.

Well, I found a link that may help you out. Please go through it once and, see if it solves the issues.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/1d478f44-2a24-4cca-9cff-40d639b7a8f1/window...

Take out the frustration and, calm down mate. A hot head, leads to a lot of components dead..;) Lets see if the link helps in any way. Please post back.. Never give up hope until you have tried it all mate.. 🙂

Cheers,
KP

Tried everything in the link and nothing worked, After applying the suggestions from that site I had then proceeded to put my computer to sleep, but i couldn't wake it up! It is completely dead no fans spinning, no monitor activation PC and mobo are just dead.

I then had to again turn it off the switch at the PSU for a few minutes then turned it on with the power button on my case and now im back in windows. Once im in windows i got no issues with BSOD's or anything of the sort it's 100% stable.. It's just not stable when I am trying to wake it from sleep
[NEW RIG] Custom Acrylic Loop / i7 8700K @ 5.3GHz 1.34v / Maximus X Formula / G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB 3466Mhz / EVGA 780 Ti Classified's @ 1478mhz SLI / Corsair AX1200i Digital PSU / Samsung 2TB 960 Pro NVME / Corsair 900D / All EKWB

HiVizMan
Level 40
I too have this issue. And I can assure you folks are trying to solve what and why.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

KPRage
Level 10
HVM, can you try out the link I posted? Please update here if it helped in any way.. I too had this issue.. This occurs at random for me.. However, it stopped for me without any doing.. 🙂
CPU: Intel i5 3570k OC'd to 4.6GHz @1.170V; Mobo: MVG; GPU: Zotac 1070 mini OC'd to +210MHz/+205MHz; Memory: 8GB (2X4GB dual channel) Corsair Vengeance 1333Mhz 9-10-9-T2; SSD: Samsung 840 pro; HDD: 1TB WD Green 6Gbps; PSU: Corsair GS 600w; Case: Bitfenix Merc Alpha:Hybrid Octane in progress; Cooler: Corsair H80 closed loop cooling @ high profile;

Pre & Post Build Guide

HiVizMan
Level 40
Will do mate
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report

Computer Name SASHA-PC
Scan Time 2013-06-28T01:28:47Z
Scan Duration 60 seconds
System Manufacturer System manufacturer
System Product Name System Product Name
BIOS Date 03/15/2013
BIOS Version 3602
OS Build 7601
Platform Role PlatformRoleWorkstation
Plugged In true
Process Count 38
Thread Count 534
Report GUID {41e8373e-b712-4b35-a87f-ff9717bd4835}
Analysis Results

Errors

Power Policy:Sleep timeout is disabled (Plugged In)
The computer is not configured to automatically sleep after a period of inactivity.
Power Policy:Disk idle is disabled (Plugged In)
The disk is not configured to turn off after a period of disk inactivity.
USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend
The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
Device Name USB Root Hub
Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D26
Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 29, function 0
Device ID USB\VID_8086&PID_1D26
Port Path
The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
Device Name Generic USB Hub
Device ID USB\VID_8087&PID_0024
Port Path 1
Device Name USB Composite Device
Device ID USB\VID_046D&PID_C517
Port Path 1,2
Warnings

Power Policy:Display timeout is long (Plugged In)
The display is configured to turn off after longer than 10 minutes.
Timeout (seconds) 1800
Power Policy:802.11 Radio Power Policy is Maximum Performance (Plugged In)
The current power policy for 802.11-compatible wireless network adapters is not configured to use low-power modes.
Information

Platform Timer Resolution:Platform Timer Resolution
The default platform timer resolution is 15.6ms (15625000ns) and should be used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, processor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolution may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations.
Current Timer Resolution (100ns units) 156000
Power Policy:Active Power Plan
The current power plan in use
Plan Name OEM Balanced
Plan GUID {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e}
Power Policy:Power Plan Personality (Plugged In)
The personality of the current power plan when the system is plugged in.
Personality Balanced
Power Policy:Video quality (Plugged In)
Enables Windows Media Player to optimize for quality or power savings when playing video.
Quality Mode Optimize for Video Quality
System Availability Requests:Analysis Success
Analysis was successful. No energy efficiency problems were found. No information was returned.
CPU Utilization:Processor utilization is low
The average processor utilization during the trace was very low. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low.
Average Utilization (%) 1.16
Battery:Analysis Success
Analysis was successful. No energy efficiency problems were found. No information was returned.
Platform Power Management Capabilities:Supported Sleep States
Sleep states allow the computer to enter low-power modes after a period of inactivity. The S3 sleep state is the default sleep state for Windows platforms. The S3 sleep state consumes only enough power to preserve memory contents and allow the computer to resume working quickly. Very few platforms support the S1 or S2 Sleep states.
S1 Sleep Supported false
S2 Sleep Supported false
S3 Sleep Supported true
S4 Sleep Supported true
Platform Power Management Capabilities:Processor Power Management Capabilities
Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.
Group 0
Index 0
Idle (C) State Count 1
Performance (P) State Count 12
Throttle (T) State Count 8
Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.
Group 0
Index 1
Idle (C) State Count 1
Group 0
Index 2
Idle (C) State Count 1
Group 0
Index 3
Idle (C) State Count 1
Group 0
Index 4
Idle (C) State Count 1
Group 0
Index 5
Idle (C) State Count 1
Group 0
Index 6
Idle (C) State Count 1
Group 0
Index 7
Idle (C) State Count 1
Group 0
Index 8
Idle (C) State Count 1
Group 0
Index 9
Idle (C) State Count 1
Group 0
Index 10
Idle (C) State Count 1
Group 0
Index 11
Idle (C) State Count 1

KPRage
Level 10
There seems to few errors.. Can you please update what your power settings are? Also, did you do the uncheck of all the USB ports? Will try to find out more on this tonight and update mate..

Viz, were you able to achieve something out of the link provided? Please try it once and update.. Thanks..:)

Cheers,
KP

Pre & Post Build Guide

KPRage wrote:
There seems to few errors.. Can you please update what your power settings are? Also, did you do the uncheck of all the USB ports? Will try to find out more on this tonight and update mate..

Viz, were you able to achieve something out of the link provided? Please try it once and update.. Thanks..:)

Cheers,
KP

I just did a fresh install of windows and it's nothing out of the ordinary that i don't already do this issue just came up out of no where.. What do you mean by uncheck all of the USB ports? Through device manager? If so yeah i tried this last time before my fresh install no change.

I simply turn off hard disks to 'never' and leave everything else, because at any other time i never had this issue..

I was just on the PC for about 6 hours without an issue it is only when i put the PC to sleep.. Now i tested with default settings in the BIOS so stock clocks, stock settings and it still did it but once I am in windows I am able to be on it all day without a single BSOD or any other kind of error. I can shut it down and start it up no problems its only when i put it to sleep will it then not turn on forcing me to turn it off at the PSU then if i turn the PSU back on i STILl can't turn it on i have to leave it off for a while then try again later.

I never had an issue with sleep before so it has me baffled, tried different ram, tried a different PSU, tried different cables, tried with only my main SSD connected and all other drives off, tried an old PCI-E gpu and it's all the same.

Maybe i just should not put it to sleep but it's not really a solution as i will put it to sleep while i have dinner or am away from the PC for a fair bit of time.

Killertofu
Level 7
I have the same problem. My rig is just average one.

Dual 3.1 GHz
8mb ram
win7 64 bit.

I found out that if I restart the computer and let it go to sleep without logging in or by logging in but not manually starting any programs I can wake it up just fine. But if I manually run ONE program, no matter what it is, even notepad, when it goes to sleep it won’t wake up.

The green light is slowly flashing on and off. However nothing runs. I can only turn it off via the PSU
Mobo: Asus MAXIMUS VIII EXTREME EATX LGA1151 | CPU: Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB HYBRID Video Card | Ram: G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3400 | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply | Cooling: Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Case: Rosewill B2-SPIRIT ATX Full Tower Gaming | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive | OS: Win 10 64bit