cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIVE: Will not wake from sleep! Big problem (Second RIVE)

z0ki
Level 10
Hey guys i got a big issue with my second RIVE in less than 1 year! And i'm really starting to lose my faith and trust in ASUS and the ROG range.

Yesterday i tried to put my PC into a sleep state to come back move my mouse to wake the PC up it did nothing the lights were on but no one was home. So i proceeded to turn off the PSU and turn the PC back on only this time the START/RESET lights were lit up but my PC just didn't want to turn on (similar to what happen to my last RIVE)

Now today i had a massive issue with my PC where when i was actually able to post and get into windows i could render videos and play games without an issue but soon as i put it to sleep and try and wake it up with my mouse/keyboard/power button i just will not turn on for the life of me!

I managed to do memtest+ ran with 8 passes with no errors..

A few hours ago i tried to turn the PC on and it just would not turn on at all for hours and hours, Turning the PSU off for a while then back on nothing, left the PSU on tried to turn it on nothing.

I tried the latest firmware for the BIOS to no avail so i reverted back to the one i have been using for a long time which is 3602..

This is my second rampage iv extreme in as many months and im really losing hope and im fed up! I was thinking of throwing out my whole PC in the bin earlier (excessive i know) but that's how frustrated i am!

What is causing this?

I tried 1 ram stick at a time, tried with no hard drives attached, no gpu etc with nothing working! Also tried a different PSU and cables with no avail. I also cleared CMOS, and also removed the battery for 10 hours

I decided to do a fresh install of windows 7 all went well, installed all the drivers played some iRacing for about 2-3 hours and everything was working fine! No BSOD's no erratic behaviour from my PC.. It just will not wake up from sleep either it be for 10 seconds or 10 minutes!
[NEW RIG] Custom Acrylic Loop / i7 8700K @ 5.3GHz 1.34v / Maximus X Formula / G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB 3466Mhz / EVGA 780 Ti Classified's @ 1478mhz SLI / Corsair AX1200i Digital PSU / Samsung 2TB 960 Pro NVME / Corsair 900D / All EKWB
27 REPLIES 27

HiVizMan wrote:
Bugger... I had hoped you were sorted.

Do you have a mate that you can borrow a CPU from. IMC is on the CPU as you know...

Just tossing this idea out there you understand.

Nah no one i know has a 2011 CPU.. But don't tell me it could be my CPU! lol the 3930k in australia has gone from $549 to $669!
[NEW RIG] Custom Acrylic Loop / i7 8700K @ 5.3GHz 1.34v / Maximus X Formula / G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB 3466Mhz / EVGA 780 Ti Classified's @ 1478mhz SLI / Corsair AX1200i Digital PSU / Samsung 2TB 960 Pro NVME / Corsair 900D / All EKWB

HiVizMan
Level 40
Intel do a great RMA my friend. Trust me on that one I have had to use the facility a few times.

Where you based in Aus? Maybe Myk lives near to you.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Intel do a great RMA my friend. Trust me on that one I have had to use the facility a few times.

Where you based in Aus? Maybe Myk lives near to you.

In Queensland, City is Brisbane..

Would Intel RMA a cpu just because of a weak IMC? Seem's a bit odd they would do that lol....

If i get another set of ram to test, and it still happens could it be a possibility that the motherboard is stuffed?

I don't think my CPU is a problem as i run my 3930k @ rock stable 4.6ghz 1.34vore with offset so it downclocks in the process..

HiVizMan
Level 40
LOL I guess they may have some ideas about the reason for the RMA 😄
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

z0ki
Level 10
If it was a weak IMC i wouldn't be able to run 2133mhz at all but I am able to with ram @ 1.65v.. I been reading that if a weak IMC is in place 90% of the time your rig wouldn't even boot period.

Now im wondering, I will buy some ram tomorrow I am wondering if the new corsair vengeance pro's are good enough? And what speed should i get? I am leaning towards 1866mhz @ 1.5v

HiVizMan
Level 40
I will check back and see how it goes. Holding thumbs

Cheers mate, Which ram should I possibly get? Also if i have a weak IMC i wouldn't be able to boot up my PC with my ram at 2133mhz or 1866mhz right? Because I am able too and be in windows without a single issue for hours upon hours without problems, I thought if the IMC is weak that my PC would be unstable no just during bootup but during windows too?

1) http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186_538_1301&products_id=20872

2) http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186_538_1301&products_id=23946

3) http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186_538_1301&products_id=21587

z0ki
Level 10
Hey guys just an update on my issue of PC not waking up from sleep or not turning on after a shut down.

I got my ram but my original problem exists

PC won't turn on at all, which results in turning off the PSU for around 20-40mins then the pc will turn on..

I've just put the sticks in now went to turn it on and it's the same old thing. Wasted 350 bucks lol..

When I'm in windows I can be on it all day without issues aside from when I put it to sleep it won't wake up or when i shut it down and turn it back on, it won't.

Tempted to throw the whole lot out and build another one lol

Now what do you guys think it is? Could it be a bad CPU?