cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuild maximus iv extreme help....error 55

pkofman
Level 7
This is a simple question for you guys , don't know if i am doing this correctly
Might seem basic to many of you

I am rebuilding my Maximus iv extreme after an ram
I have a error code 55
After trouble shooting everything i can find
and reloading & flashing the bios
My computer refuses to boot

I have a 55 error. and a dram red light on the board
I have tried several sticks of suitable ram, ( tested in another machine and they work)

My question is this ;

What power connections do i have to have on the board
I currently have the 24 pin connected and the 8 pin atx
Do I also need the 2- 4 pin molex .
Sort of afraid to do that , won't be pleased if i blow up the board.

Please let me know what is correct, its not clear in the manual
I can't get the computer to boot and it stops at error 55
Never even get to the bios

Peter
11 REPLIES 11

HiVizMan
Level 40
Not a good idea to have your email made public mate.

Remove your CPU and have a look at the pins of your socket. I wonder if you have a bent pin.

Which memory slot are you fitting your memory too?
Have you tried with one stick of ram only?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Thanks . your right about the email. i just did that out of habit!!

I will check the cpu but i would have thought that if i had a cpu issue the cpu red light on the board would have come on as an error or red light.
I tried one stick in singular location as prescribed by the manual but i had the same issue.

Regards Pete

HiVizMan
Level 40
It all depends which pins are bent or misaligned, I have a board with three or four burnt out completely but the board still works.

Power connectors it is better to have them all fitted, that is the EPS 8 pin and the EPS 4 pin

List all your hardware for me and include the cooling and PSU please.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

pkofman
Level 7
So I have the 8 pin connected and the 24 pin,
no molex 4 pin.
equipment

maximus iv extreme z
corsair half xm tower
corsair 850 hx psu

2700k cpu
780gtx
2 sticks of hyper x ddr3 khx1600c9d3k28gx 1.65v

Pete

HiVizMan
Level 40
Ok that is not an issue the other 4pin as your CPU is a 2700K.

Error code 55 is quite unusual with the Sandybridge processor.

Please do a clear CMOS and then try with one stick of memory in the slot furtherest from the CPU.

well it actually booted when i installed the memory only in slot furthest from the cpu which is contrary to the manual single memory slot installation in the manual, but thanks , now i have an error AE , which is a legacy event , and a "remove disks or other media , please restart". im trying to get into the bios with no luck yet "
Pete

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yes I was sure it would boot in the furtherest slot. Which is why I told you to do that. 🙂

Your system is trying to find the boot MBR with AE and it is not finding it hence the q-code you got.

Check that your keyboard is being picked up, and if not change the USB port used. Press the del key on your keypad to get to bios. Or failing that pull your CPU fan header during the post process and you will get a CPU fan error. Stick the fan on the CPU OPT header for now. F1 to get into bios.

HiVizMan wrote:
Yes I was sure it would boot in the furtherest slot. Which is why I told you to do that. 🙂

Your system is trying to find the boot MBR with AE and it is not finding it hence the q-code you got.

Check that your keyboard is being picked up, and if not change the USB port used. Press the del key on your keypad to get to bios. Or failing that pull your CPU fan header during the post process and you will get a CPU fan error. Stick the fan on the CPU OPT header for now. F1 to get into bios.

Well that was a great idea . I am actually in the midst of loading windows. In a moment i will see if i can get back into the bios.
So what are you thoughts on adding back the memory, do you have an insight into why you needed to place the stick in that particular slot.
Once i get this booting ill add back the 2nd memory stick
Thanks ... slow but positive progress!
Pete

Update
I was able to get the computer running w7- x64
I still have the red dram light on the board
I tried two sticks of ram and it did not book again
Still unable to get into the bios . even when disconnecting the cpu fan from the header
I do get the f1 error but it won't enter the bios screen
Today ill give asus a call, this board was just "rma'd" so i would think it is not the board.
Pete