cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random power failures

shadowguardian0
Level 7
Well, I'm new to the forums, so if this isn't the right place, let me know.

Did a dxdiag, here's the specs

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 10/11/2015, 15:49:37
Machine name: SARAH-LAPTOP
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 10240) (10240.th1.150916-2039)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model: G46VW
BIOS: G46VW.205
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8078MB RAM
Page File: 4365MB used, 18712MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.10240.16384 64bit Unicode

Not long after I got it, it started having random power failures. First it locks up, but for only a second, then makes this "winding down" noise and then dies. It seems like the PC has enough time to save what I had up to the RAM or something, because I don't ever seem to lose much, if at all. But is this a software or hardware problem or both?

I purchased it 2013/01/26, so I don't think I still have it under warantee, but I did have to take it in once before for a charging issue where the port was loose. I often max the memory and/or disc, and I'm not quite sure how to fix that. I'm more tech savvy than most people, but I'm not good enough to know what this is or how to stop overloading myself. I'm really bad about having a bunch of things running, but shouldn't a gaming laptop be able to handle it?

Anyway, what do you guys think?
1 REPLY 1

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi shadowguardian0 🙂

Maybe try a post here? https://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?114-Older-G-Series-Notebooks

I really don't know much about laptops....but maybe disk problem? have you run checkdisk for errors or some disk health software?

Any clue in Windows Error logs?

Did they fix the loose port?