cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage iv extreme upgrade??

elitejustice
Level 7
Hello friends. I have a quick question for those with some insight.

My current system:

i7-3930k
Rampage IV Extreme
Corsair Dominator memory.

I have decided to upgrade my Sandy Bridge E processor to the newer Ivy Bridge E processor. I have just ordered the i7-4930k processor.

My question: would I be better off upgrading to the newer X-79 Deluxe Mother Board? (which was designed more for the Ivy Bridge Processors. Am I losing performance in other areas because the newer board is not of the ROG family?:confused:

Any suggestions would be warranted. I'm definitely more of a novice here.

Much Thanks in advance!:
“Only strong personalities can endure history, the weak ones are extinguished by it”
Friedrich Nietzsche

Rampage IV Extreme
| i7-4930k | EVGA GTX-680 | Corsair Dominator GT 2133mhz 32MB | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | Corsair H-100 | Corsair AX 1200i | Cooler Master Cosmos II | 2x Asus BW -12B1ST | 2x Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 7200 HDD | 3x Dell Ultra Sharp U2713H |
19 REPLIES 19

GTX680SLI
Level 7
Well, what are some of the motivators for the upgrade. Your not going to see much of an improvement from 3930k ---> 4930k. Sure you might have higher multiplier headroom to 63x, if it's about achieving an overclock that shows reasonable gains. Early reviews don't show a sizable overclock gain. If fact depending on your overclock with you 3930k you might even lose speed depending on how well the 4930k overclocks. So lets look at the other differences, there is support for XMP 1.3 but remember your memory throughput is only changing from 51.2 GB/s to 59.7 GB/s nothing you will notice. There is official PCIe 3.0 compliance however if your 3930k is a C2 variant your still hitting PCIe 3's 8 GT/s signaling support. Memory controller rates 1866 MT/s up from 1600 but we are still using DDR3 quad channel. Also USB 3.0 still isn't native, No Sata Express, L3 cache is the same, TDP remains unchanged. In fact transistor count drops from 2.27 to 1.86 from the die shrink, meaning nothing new from SB-E's architecture. I own a 3930k as well and don't get me wrong LOVE it. However unless the X79 has a ton of new boards with a lot of out of chip set features it more of the same my friend, which isn't that bad after all. Maybe we will see a decent time frame for Haswell-E. If overclock speeds aren't important and you have a buyer for your 3930k to offset the upgrade part, maybe through a 4930k in for kicks. Enjoy what you have, the next two years are going to get crazy with innovation.

((standing in awe at the depth of your answer...lol)) Now can I be totally honest with you (I posted on another thread I think that I was a novice)...about 90% of what you just told me went so far over my head that it might have encountered airline traffic. LOL!

However, thank you soooo much for the info! I sincerely asppreciate the comments and advice.

I do appreciate you taking the time to educate me nonetheless! I feel like a little tadpole swimming around in an ocean of sharks here on this forum. I guess we all start somewhere. I will however take your advice to heart. I have since learned of the RIVE Black and think that I will wait for that. I have not taken the time to learn a lot of the nuances of o.c. past the basics, but I would at least like to have the equipment when I am ready to do so.
“Only strong personalities can endure history, the weak ones are extinguished by it”
Friedrich Nietzsche

Rampage IV Extreme
| i7-4930k | EVGA GTX-680 | Corsair Dominator GT 2133mhz 32MB | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | Corsair H-100 | Corsair AX 1200i | Cooler Master Cosmos II | 2x Asus BW -12B1ST | 2x Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 7200 HDD | 3x Dell Ultra Sharp U2713H |

GTX680SLI wrote:
Well, what are some of the motivators for the upgrade. Your not going to see much of an improvement from 3930k ---> 4930k. Sure you might have higher multiplier headroom to 63x, if it's about achieving an overclock that shows reasonable gains. Early reviews don't show a sizable overclock gain. If fact depending on your overclock with you 3930k you might even lose speed depending on how well the 4930k overclocks. So lets look at the other differences, there is support for XMP 1.3 but remember your memory throughput is only changing from 51.2 GB/s to 59.7 GB/s nothing you will notice. There is official PCIe 3.0 compliance however if your 3930k is a C2 variant your still hitting PCIe 3's 8 GT/s signaling support. Memory controller rates 1866 MT/s up from 1600 but we are still using DDR3 quad channel. Also USB 3.0 still isn't native, No Sata Express, L3 cache is the same, TDP remains unchanged. In fact transistor count drops from 2.27 to 1.86 from the die shrink, meaning nothing new from SB-E's architecture. I own a 3930k as well and don't get me wrong LOVE it. However unless the X79 has a ton of new boards with a lot of out of chip set features it more of the same my friend, which isn't that bad after all. Maybe we will see a decent time frame for Haswell-E. If overclock speeds aren't important and you have a buyer for your 3930k to offset the upgrade part, maybe through a 4930k in for kicks. Enjoy what you have, the next two years are going to get crazy with innovation.

((standing in awe at the depth of your answer...lol)) Now can I be totally honest with you (I posted on another thread I think that I was a novice)...about 90% of what you just told me went so far over my head that it might have encountered airline traffic. LOL!

However, thank you soooo much for the info! I sincerely asppreciate the comments and advice.

I do appreciate you taking the time to educate me nonetheless! I feel like a little tadpole swimming around in an ocean of sharks here on this forum. I guess we all start somewhere. I will however take your advice to heart. I have since learned of the RIVE Black and think that I will wait for that. I have not taken the time to learn a lot of the nuances of o.c. past the basics, but I would at least like to have the equipment when I am ready to do so.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Rampage IV Extreme

elitejustice wrote:

Just be grateful that sharks don't eat tadpoles 😛

nleksan wrote:
Just be grateful that sharks don't eat tadpoles 😛

I'm very grateful sir! LOL
Friedrich Nietzsche

Rampage IV Extreme

chrisnyc75
Level 12
Any other motherboard is going to be a DOWNGRADE from the RIVE, not an upgrade. The only "upgrade" to RIVE would be the yet to be released Rampage IV Black, and even that is really more of an equivalent side-grade.

The Rampage IV Extreme is the undisputed top of the line motherboard, nothing has come along yet to unseat it. Although there are NEWER motherboards, they are not [necessarily] better. Do your research carefully before you decide to "upgrade", you may actually be downgrading without realizing it.
Asus RIVBE • i7 4930K @ 4.7ghz • 8gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 CL8
2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid
EVGA Supernova 1300W• Asus VG278H & nVidia 3d Vision
Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/ custom watercooling:
XSPC Raystorm (cpu & gpu), XSPC Photon 170, Swiftech D5 vario
Alphacool Monsta 360mm +6x NB e-loop, XT45 360mm +6x Corsair SP120

chrisnyc75 wrote:
Any other motherboard is going to be a DOWNGRADE from the RIVE, not an upgrade. The only "upgrade" to RIVE would be the yet to be released Rampage IV Black, and even that is really more of an equivalent side-grade.

The Rampage IV Extreme is the undisputed top of the line motherboard, nothing has come along yet to unseat it. Although there are NEWER motherboards, they are not [necessarily] better. Do your research carefully before you decide to "upgrade", you may actually be downgrading without realizing it.

Thank you sir. I will wait for the Black Edition and join the rest of the experts here who seem to agree that is the board of all boards!
Friedrich Nietzsche

Rampage IV Extreme

chrisnyc75 wrote:

Thank you sir. I will wait for the Black Edition and join the rest of the experts here who seem to agree that is the board of all boards!
Friedrich Nietzsche

Rampage IV Extreme

HiVizMan
Level 40
The two boards do different work. And depending on the needs of the user the correct board would be an upgrade. Of course one should bare in mind that there is a RIVE refresh soon to be be available retail.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.