cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Extreme debug code 06

Oxonsi
Level 7
I have the following core components in my system...

Core i7 3930K
Rampage IV Extreme
16GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum
1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series
3x 120GB Intel 520 Series SSD
600GB Western Digital VelociRaptor
LG Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader
DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW
Killer 2100
2x GeForce GTX 680 2GB in SLI
Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium HD

It has been running fine for the past year and a half or so, but it recently started freezing on the ROG splash screen after ASMedia is loaded. The debug code on the board is "06", loading microcode, and I am unable to enter the BIOS.

I have determined that if I disconnect the boot SSD from the board, I am able to enter the BIOS as normal. Therefore, I think that some files on it have become corrupted in such a way that they are causing the BIOS to freeze.

I believe that my issue is probably the same as the one described in the following thread...

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?30924-Maximus-IV-Extreme-wont-boot-debug-LED-06-Help

However, I am fairly careful about trying to avoid malicious software, and I think I have pretty good anti-malware software in place. So, while it certainly could be some form of virus that is causing my issue, I'm not yet 100% convinced it is.

In any case, I really want to avoid reformatting my SSD and re-installing Windows 7. I've configured a lot in Windows as I like it, and I have a lot of applications installed. So that route of remedying my problem would be painful.

So my questions is: can anyone recommend a way and a tool [free or paid] that would help me fix my Windows installation on my boot SSD? I guess it would help to know what exactly is being loaded from the SSD at that point.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice!
9 REPLIES 9

Nate152
You can try putting in the windows installation cd and click repair. if this does not fix your problem, reinstalling windows may be the only fix.

Nate152
Hi Oxonsi, Welcome to the ROG community. You can try putting in the windows installation cd and click repair. if this does not fix your problem, reinstalling windows may be the only fix.

Do you happen to know if the Master Boot Record is what is being accessed at that point in the boot process?

The reason I ask is that I understand there is a specific procedure for repairing the MBR from within the Windows Recovery Environment, and I think there are some other tools that may also be able to help with that.

Thanks again.

Nate152
Now that I cannot answer you Oxonsi. All I ever used to try and repair things is the windows installation cd and most of the time it ends up saying cannot repair.

Nate152

Thanks for the link.

Since my boot drive causes the BIOS to freeze, even in order to boot from an optical drive, I'll need to disconnect that SSD from the motherboard. Once I'm through the POST process, I can plug it back into the board, but will it be "seen" by my machine in the Windows Recovery Environment [or any other tool I may try]? If not, any thoughts on how to get around that problem?

I haven't been able to test it myself because I've actually been away from home.

Thanks again.

Nate152
When you boot from the windows installation cd, In the BIOS you set Boot Option 1 to your optical drive. You should not need to disconnect your SSD, it will load from the windows disc and you will see the options to choose from.

Raja
Level 13
I'd try a few things:

1) Try using different SATA ports, and if youhave anything on the ASmeida ports, try placing on the Intel ports only.

2) It is possible the SSD is faulty. DO you have any spare HDDs you can use to debug?

3) MBR corruption can be caused by instability - if there was a bad BSOD etc. In fact, instability can also manifest as BOOT issues at times (CPU or memory unstable).

-Raja

OK, makes sense. I'll go into the BIOS with the problem SSD disconnected and change the boot order so that an optical drive is first. Then re-connect the SSD and see if I can get through to booting from the CD / DVD.

The boot SSD is currently on one of the ASMedia ports, so I'll also try swapping it to one of the Intel ports. Not that I wanted to configure it that way, but I have 3 SSDs [the boot SSD, and the other two in RAID 0], 1 HDD, and 2 optical drives, so it seemed best to put the RAID 0 set on the red Intel ports, and the boot SSD on an ASMedia port.

At first I was thinking that the motherboard developed a failure since it was freezing the BIOS, before even getting to the boot loader. I did not realize that any data is read from the drives during the POST. I thought the motherboard was just talking to the disk controllers to establish their presence at this point...

I do think my problem could be caused by a viral infection or a hardware failure of the SSD. But the strange thing is that I had not been experiencing any instability or errors in Windows. And I have SSD optimization software from Intel that was reporting my SSDs being 100% healthy. I also think I have fairly good anti-malware protection in place, and I'm fairly careful about trying to avoid malicious code.

So right now, I'm tending to think this was just the result of some "random" corruption of my MBR [or whatever is being read at POST].

In any case, I'll work on it, and report back here with any info.

Thanks to all for your thoughts 🙂