cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Extreme and OCZ SSDs

Reethax
Level 7
So yesterday I received my 512gb SSD, backed up my OS from my failing WD caviar black to restore onto the SSD. However when I plug the SSD in, it won't show up in the BIOS. No matter what settings I change, it just doesn't show up.

I've changed all the power leads, sata connectors, ports on the mainboard, even plugged it into the cables that my existing mechanical drive were using, updated the BIOS to the newest version on the website (2003) - all to no avail.

I had a look around the forums and it seems there is an issue with the RAMPAGE IV EXTREME board and SSDs?

The SSD I'm trying to use is an OCZ Vertex 4 512GB SATA3 drive. I'm going to take it to work and try it in one of our stock PCs (I'm an IT tech) and see if it's the drive, but I'm pretty sure it's a fault with the mainboard.
6 REPLIES 6

Arniebomba
Level 9
Tried hooking it up to another PC? No corrupt controller?
I didnt have any problems with my R4E and OCZ ssd's at all..

Jim-M4EZ
Level 7
What's it looking like in Computer / Computer Management / Disc Management ...
- M4EZ - 1: 3510 - 2: 1004 / i7-2600K / Redline 2133 16GB / Win7 Pro x64
- v.3510 / 8.0.0.1351 - v.8.1.0.1263 / 10.8.0.1303 - v.11.2.0.1006
- RevoDrive3x2 240GB - OS / Vector 256GB x2 RAID0 - OS / Vertex3 MI 120GB - OS / P'9230 3.0 2TB - B/U
- 9260-8i BBU - CacheCade Pro Vertex3 120GBx2 RAID0 SSD Caching - Const ES SAS RAID10 GHS - Data
- GTX580 3GB HC2 / Xonar Essence STX / ST1200G / TJ10B-W / ZR30w / SP 2500 2.1
- Water: Swiftech/Koolance/Tygon/EVGA/MIPS - Wind: SST/Noctua/Cougar

Retired
Not applicable
If u switch connectors and cables, more than enough, it get messed up in there, and it will find nothing in the end........

u confusing win, and some other things, by doing that..

ocz vertex 3 work extremely well with rampage, and is rock solid.. If installed properly..

vertex 4 i have not tried, think i stay away from that one.. ;o)

I am ruunning OCZ vertex 4 256 I have no problems. May be you are unlucky to pick up the bad SSD . Try to connect to another computer to test it.
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
In AHCI in BIOS? Maybe update firmware/secure erase using Linux tool? Make sure sata cable is good... disconnect other drives...

HiVizMan
Level 40
This is the first I hear about SSD's having issues with RIVE boards my friend.

It might just be your SSD is DOA.

Now here is how you test.

Save your current OC profile in BIOS.
Power down
Remove all the HDD that you have connected to the motherboard.
Clear CMOS
Fit your SSD to the Intel SATA 6G port
Power up your system
Enter BIOS
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.