cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Black Edition Motherboard 2800 memory.

Falcon1
Level 7
Hello,

I have a Rampage IV Black Edition Motherboard and trying to figure out what 2800 memory to get.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.
6 REPLIES 6

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
What CPU? The board is meaningless in and of itself....but the IMC is on the CPU so knowing which would help. 2666 is a better number to shoot for with some hope of success 2800 is not guaranteed to work....nor is 2666 but you stand a better chance....

Thanks for the reply.

The CPU is an i7 4930K.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
OK well IB-E is certainly stronger but again it is by no means a question of plug and play at 2800. I know the board states this as max but it does state this is OCing and you might have to be good at tweaking voltages and timings to get this to work.

It's up to you of course and depends what you want to do with the board....benchmarking etc but I would caution against going that high for normal computing gaming etc. I'd say 2666 for a challenge and 2400 with CAS9 or 10 for great performance and no hassles setting up.

All this talking 16GB kits...if you want 32GB or 64GB then 2800 may be very hard to do...

If you could test some high frequency RAM with your CPU first to see if the IMC is capable (like friends etc) I would advise that...

Check the qvl for the motherboard

Hi Arne,

Thanks again for your time the memory I am looking at has CAS of 11, how do you feel about Team Xtreem or G.SKILL memory? Or what Memory brand do you recommend? I have always liked Kingston at the time.

Thank you.

Falcon1
Level 7
Thanks Arne for all your time.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmmm looking at the QVL there are very few kits listed at 2800...probably for good reason. G.Skill Z series is probably your best bet if you can find a 2800 kit...not sure if they do one...again for good reason.

I would go with F3-2666C11Q-16GZHD myself