cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage 5 Extreme blinking ROG light and no boot

shahz
Level 7
Hi ROG-ers,

I just purchased a ROG Base Panel. It does say it supports R5E motherboard, but requires a firmware update. Before I do that, I upgraded my motherboard BIOS to the latest first. All went perfect and the system booted up. After the update, I downloaded the update package for the base panel. It asked me to plug in the panel in order to update the firmware.. So I did.. But after that my motherboard suddenly crashed... Now the motherboard doesnt boot at all. The ROG light is blinking but nothing else happens. I tried reset, nothing.. I tried Safe_boot, nothing.. I tried MemOK! to clear the memory, nothing. I cant even switch to second BIOS.. Any idea how to fix this?

I do have all my power pins connected to the motherboard.. It was all working fine before the base panel firmware update attempt..

Here are my specs:
Rampage 5 Extreme with latest BIOS
Intel i7 5820K with CM Nepton 240m cooler
8 x Avexir Blitz 4GB DDR4 3000MHz
1000W CoolerMaster V1000
Asus GTX Titan X
3 x Samsung 850 Evo 256GB
2TB WD Black

Checkout the video, I'm trying to switch to BIOS2 and its not working.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z4ofridrl9upgfx/20160112_015458.mp4?dl=0

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

Nate152
Hello shahz

I'm not sure what happened but something sure went wrong, it sounds like you connected the front base to the mobo while your pc was powered up which is never a good idea.

Does it boot with the front base disconnected?

You could try reflashing bios 1 using the bios flashback method to see if that gets you going.

Rename the bios file to R5E.CAP

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1142-How-to-use-ASUS-ROG-USB-BIOS-Flashback

If this doesn't work try stripping your pc down to a bare minimum mobo, psu, gpu, 1 stick of ram and 1 ssd your OS is installed on.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello shahz

I'm not sure what happened but something sure went wrong, it sounds like you connected the front base to the mobo while your pc was powered up which is never a good idea.

Does it boot with the front base disconnected?

You could try reflashing bios 1 using the bios flashback method to see if that gets you going.

Rename the bios file to R5E.CAP

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1142-How-to-use-ASUS-ROG-USB-BIOS-Flashback

If this doesn't work try stripping your pc down to a bare minimum mobo, psu, gpu, 1 stick of ram and 1 ssd your OS is installed on.

Hi Nate, thanks a lot for the feedback. I've never used even hotswappable disk features, let alone something sensitive like the base panel. hahaha. So yeah, the computer was shut down before the base panel was attached to it. I'll try the bios flashback method and see if it kicks it up..

Chino wrote:
Have you tried booting without the ROG Base connected?

Yeah, after ths first trial, when it didn't boot up, I removed the base completely..It's still not booting up..

shahz wrote:
Hi Nate, thanks a lot for the feedback. I've never used even hotswappable disk features, let alone something sensitive like the base panel. hahaha. So yeah, the computer was shut down before the base panel was attached to it. I'll try the bios flashback method and see if it kicks it up..

Yeah, after ths first trial, when it didn't boot up, I removed the base completely..It's still not booting up..

Ok.

Remove all your components from the case. Take the motherboard and inspect the CPU socket for any bent or missing pins. Then proceed to put the motherboard on top of the cardboard box to use it as a testbench, Install the bare minimum and report back your results.

Vlada011
Level 10
Maybe you kill motherboard.
Did you tried with Clear CMOS Button?

I know that many people are lazy and hate to turn off PC before connect any device inside case on motherboard, special fans but it's better, safer.
With USB Ports is OK connect when PC is enabled, that's made for that.