cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram problem Maximus VII Formula and Noctua-DH14

allocen
Level 7
So, i have this problem like recently i decided to upgrade my 16 gb ram to 32 gb ram. The ram i use are called HyperX Beast at Freq of 2400mhz. The motherboard is Maximus VII Formula and the CPU Cooler is a Noctua DH14, the first two slots of ram are occupied by these HyperX Beast ram. My question is if on the latest 2 slots from the right that goes right under the Noctua's Fan will fit another two HyperX Beast ram? I need a 101% honest answer... . Someone recomanned me to go after HyperX Savage which seems to be a little smaller in height than HyperX Beast. The problem is if i buy those and put on the latest 2 slots on the right (hopefully will fit) will be there a problem? I have to take the HyperX Beast ram from 2nd slot and put it on the 3rd one? Does the ram position slots matter on this motherboard? I just need some honest answers on this, like which ram will fit on the latest 2 slots of ram under the Noctua's fan and if the ram slot position matters.

Thank you, Daniel.
13 REPLIES 13

EdInk
Level 7
allocen wrote:
So, i have this problem like recently i decided to upgrade my 16 gb ram to 32 gb ram. The ram i use are called HyperX Beast at Freq of 2400mhz. The motherboard is Maximus VII Formula and the CPU Cooler is a Noctua DH14, the first two slots of ram are occupied by these HyperX Beast ram. My question is if on the latest 2 slots from the right that goes right under the Noctua's Fan will fit another two HyperX Beast ram? I need a 101% honest answer... . Someone recomanned me to go after HyperX Savage which seems to be a little smaller in height than HyperX Beast. The problem is if i buy those and put on the latest 2 slots on the right (hopefully will fit) will be there a problem? I have to take the HyperX Beast ram from 2nd slot and put it on the 3rd one? Does the ram position slots matter on this motherboard? I just need some honest answers on this, like which ram will fit on the latest 2 slots of ram under the Noctua's fan and if the ram slot position matters.

Thank you, Daniel.

Visit this website and select the RAM Compatibility Tab

http://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d14.html?comp=1

The RAM slots do matter you should use A1 and B1 or A2 and B2 to have it in dual channel mode. on the Asus ROG mobo its usually colour coded.

I had the NHD14 in a prevous rig i built and had the hyper x fury 16GB installed with no issues

allocen
Level 7
So i guess, putting my two HyperX Beast on the very two slots of ram was not good, wasn't it?

allocen wrote:
So i guess, putting my two HyperX Beast on the very two slots of ram was not good, wasn't it?

It's not bad either, it won't just work in dual channel mode that's all. Theoretically, dual-channel configurations double the memory bandwidth when compared to single-channel configurations

allocen
Level 7
Well, it seems that HyperX Savage will fit. But now the bigger problem is that i have to take out the HyperX Beast from A2 and move to B1 so i can put the Savage to A2 B2, which B1 is right under the Noctua's fan...and HyperX Beast wont fit. What can i do? 😞

allocen wrote:
Well, it seems that HyperX Savage will fit. But now the bigger problem is that i have to take out the HyperX Beast from A2 and move to B1 so i can put the Savage to A2 B2, which B1 is right under the Noctua's fan...and HyperX Beast wont fit. What can i do? 😞

My rig b4 upgrading the RAM to 16GB...gosh..i had to dig this one out. Sorry for the orientation

If you remove the 120mm fan you can have the savage in A1 and B1 and the beast in A2 and B2, I think 54572

I wish if possible to fit all 4 without any problem and without any fan removed...

allocen
Level 7
I see, and what about the latest post...?

allocen wrote:
I see, and what about the latest post...?

When I had the NH D14.. I didn't see any performance loss when I had only the middle fan installed so I used the 120mm fan as a case chassis fan instead.

Does the Beast fit with the 120mm fan removed?

allocen
Level 7
Well, kinda i do not want to remove any fan...