cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM not at the proper speed & system won't OC.

advent
Level 7
OK so I am totally new to the whole ROG motherboard scene and I've read most of the documents including the manual, the starer on this site and a few other things.

My issue(s) are the following:

My RAM is Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 4 x 4 GB. It shows up @ 1333 MHz and when I set the BIOS to XMP and the RAM TO 1866 MHz it says the OC failed. Should I be setting that to manual and then 1866 Mhz?

Also my CPU doesn't seem to want to OC via the "stock" profiles. It is an i7 3930K. This CPU has been overclocked before in my friends machine (was a hand me down processor). He had it OC'd up until he gave it to me so it isn't a bad CPU I just don't think I am doing something right.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Welcome to the ROG forums, advent.

Try setting up your RAM manually instead of using XMP.

That seemed to fix that issue. Any thoughts on how/where I should start with overclocking? I'm running an H100i cooler so I should in theory be able to do 4.5 GHz safely as long as I don't exceed 1.4 V.

advent wrote:
That seemed to fix that issue. Any thoughts on how/where I should start with overclocking? I'm running an H100i cooler so I should in theory be able to do 4.5 GHz safely as long as I don't exceed 1.4 V.

There have been some reports of compatibility issues with the Ballistix Tactical Tracer modules and certain X79 motherboards. So XMP doesn't always work as it should, so doing it manually is the way to go.

Well I guess there is something else going on. Had the system stable @ 1866 MHz on the RAM. All 4 sticks (16 GB populated). Restarted the machine says OC failed press F2. Went back in, set everything to default and restarted. Go into BIOS shows RAM speed of 0 MHz, boot into Windows 8 and it shows 8 GB out of 16 GB.

What could be causing this? It can't be a bad memory controller on the CPU as it does the same behavior on two i7 3930K's. It is the motherboard? Or is it the RAM?

HiVizMan
Level 40
List your hardware please so we may better help you.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
List your hardware please so we may better help you.

CPU - i7 3930K
MOBO - Rampage IV Gene
Cooler - H100i
RAM - Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 4 x 4 GB 1866 MHz
PSU - 650W EVGA SuperNova

HiVizMan
Level 40
That motherboard is a little gem of a board I am currently running one in my 24/7 system with a 4400MHz OC.

Read a couple of the guides that are found in the Rampage section and just give it a go. If your cooling is up to the task I see no reason why you can not do 44X under 1.400 VCore.

You do not need to change to many settings.

Multi
LLC to 4 or 5 (Medium)
And Vcore

Once you have worked out what is stable then we can go to offset voltage control so that you can have the benefits of the Intel C states.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan
Level 40
What I would do is download a fresh copy of the bios you wish to use.

Extract that bios to the root directory of a FAT formatted USB stick, use EZflash2 utility in the tools section of the bios and re-flash your system.

If you have the tracers with the little leds on them I can tell you that they do not play nice with this platform.

HiVizMan wrote:
What I would do is download a fresh copy of the bios you wish to use.

Extract that bios to the root directory of a FAT formatted USB stick, use EZflash2 utility in the tools section of the bios and re-flash your system.

If you have the tracers with the little leds on them I can tell you that they do not play nice with this platform.

Yes I have the Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracers with the LEDs.

EDIT 1: I updated the BIOS using RAMPAGE IV GENE BIOS 4802 from 1/14/14. Still the same issue. I go into BIOS.
Extreme Tweaker tab shows "Target RAM speed of 0 MHz".
Main tab shows 8GB and speed of 1333 MHz.

EDIT2: Restarted my machine and now all it gives it a code 65 on the LED. Going to use Flashback and reflash the BIOS to see if I can fix that issue.

EDIT3: That didn't fix it. Still code 65 and it never gets past that.

EDIT4: I pulled all the RAM and only put in 2 sticks it gets past the 65 code. Still the same issues as underlined in EDIT 1: