Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAID – What is RAID? And Setup Guide For First Timers

X-ROG
Level 15
60 REPLIES 60

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thanks Nitro I will certainly do so. I guess I am pretty much focused on performance given my hobby. And what you say is quite true.

And Neo - yeah mate it is assumed that folks do understand that a RAID array does not mean having to make regular back ups. I will include that bit too.

Keep the comments coming lads all the feedback is good.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

DaemonCantor
Level 13
Yo! Please make this a STICKY! so we can find it easy! Like others at times I do need a handy reference and this is the best I've seen in a long TIME!...Geezzzzzz!:p

Kipper
Level 10
Excellent article Rich, thanks

Oh yea, I just made the thread a sticky one so its not lost in the shuffle.

Hi All,
Great Article DAGMAR, Thanks Its very appropiate for me!!

Recently Purchased the ROG CG8580 - Extreme which came with Win 8 installed with IRST (Intel Rapid Storage Technology) on it!
BUT, I am going to Install Win 7 Pro x64 on the Original Drives - 1 x Sandisk SSD & 1 x 2TB Seagate HDD. Have Backed up the Win 8 for Later Use
etc and Both Drives are Now "UNALLOCATED"!! Once I've Set the "SATA Configuration" to "RAID" and the "Intel Matrix Storage Manager Screen" comes Up, to Create the RAID Volume (With above in Mind), Should I Set the RAID Volume to "RAID -0" OR should I Set It to Something else???

Having SSD (Sandisk Extreme 120MB SSD) Mixed with the Seagate HDD is What Concerns me, But Guess it works! Also, I Understand that the "TRIM" function is Nowhere to be found!! Maybe someone can enlighten me!!

I had also decided to Download the CG8580 Win 7 x64 "Chipset" & "SATA" files from the ASUS Download Site:
https://www.asus.com/Desktops/ROG_CG8580/#support_Download_30

What Concerns me is there is very little Info about What files Should be Installed (No Install Guide, No Readme etc) which help me decide what should be Installed First, ie What dependancies exist! EG Should I Install the "Intel Chipset" before the MEI (Management Engine Interface) etc.,
and thats just the Chipset Files, Never Mind the SATA drivers etc which SEEM to also included the IRST files. Hopefully Someone can enlighten me with this as well. I have requested tech support from ASUS, But as yet No Reply to what File's should be installed 1st etc. I'm Sure there must be some sequence / Order of installation that need to be Met, But I dont like having to Guess!!!

Anyway I'll Have a Look at the Intel Site & IRST and see what comes out of that, meantime if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would certainly appreciate it!!

Shrike

Can you raid a G74Sx DH73 like this?

Hello, I have Maximux Extreme, on motherboard I put one ssd with WIN 7 ultimate 64 bit, 2 samsung hdd 650 gb in raid 0 (stripe 1.2 Tb)configuration and 3 HDD( one with 2TB and 2 with 1TB each) normal SATA, at first start (power off totally)my system see only ssd, optical drive and 2TB hdd, shutdown, start again and system see all hdd.
The entire system are protected by APC ups and when I live from home I shutdown the APC, if I let APC on everything goes fine.
So, everytime I have to start system twice.
Can you have an advice?

guys please vote for me, so that i can become roger too . Paste any of the three lines from this post to this thread http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48981-***4K-UHD-Wallpaper-Competition***-Rules-and-voting&c...

Rench – Post #548
Rench – Post #567
Rench – Post #541

Rench – Post #546
Rench – Post #399
Rench – Post #463
Rench – Post #464
Rench – Post #469
Rench – Post #517
Rench – Post #539
Rench – Post #589
Rench9 – Post #663
Rench – Post #593

Very nice information

what happened to the pictures to the guide?
would be useful if they are there.

DaemonCantor
Level 13
Thank You Kipper, Thank You! You Da Boss!