cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6EE with Bizarre Load Line Voltages

rosefire
Level 7
This is a new R6EE + i9-10940x running Windows 10 with UEFI Optimized Defaults. The board has not yet been overclocked.

I believe this board has a defect with how the 0603 BIOS is controlling the load line voltage. For some reason, XTU reports current limit throttling in all three cases, below. I edited this post to organize the results for each of the three BIOS to improved readability.

--------------

Summary of Results for Windows 10 running R6EE with Optimized Defaults (Multiplier 32). All-cores are running at 100% utilization in Prime95 stress test. The rests are after allowing the stats to settling out:

Notes:
* Vin voltage is reported as N/A in AI Suite, VccIN is reported as zero in XTU.
* Raising the Core VR current limit in BIOS from 100% to 140% had no effect .

BIOS 0606,
XTU: Current Limit Throttling w/limit set to 1024A (effectively turned off), \
XTU: Intermittent Power Limit Throttling, Actual: 165 Watts, goes higher if limit is raised
[B]Core Temperature: 80C-90C ,
Water in/out T Sensors: Ambient +17C/+19C
Core Voltage 1.4V
- The core voltage in these results is way too high, which accounts for the throttling.

BIOS 0505
XTU: Current Limit Throttling w/limit set to 1024A (effectively turned off)
XTU: intermittent Power Limit Throttling, power = 134 Watts occasionally hitting 165 Watts
Core Temperature: 42C
Water in/out T Sensors: Ambient +6C/+8C
Core Voltage: .939V
- These results are good, except for XTU reporting current limit throttling

- BIOS 2??? (loaded at purchase)
XTU: Current Limit Throttling w/limit set to 1024A (effectively turned off)
XTU: Intermittant Power Limit Throttling, didn't catch actual wattage
Core Temperature: <45C
Water in/out T Sensors: Ambient +6C/+8C
Core Voltage: ~1V
- These results seem normal, except for XTU current limit throttling

Thoughts?

(This was posted on the overclock forum because the readers are more likely to be familiar with voltages and load lines)
Future PicPlatform.......Rampage VI Extreme Encore / i9-10940x
Memory.........G.Skill F4-4266C17Q-32GTZR 32GB Kit
Graphics ......Radeon Pro Vega 56
Boot Drive.....2X Intel 380GB, 905P M.2 SSD
Storage........2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 SSD
Cooling........MCP355 Pump, Swiftech SKF Block, EK360 60mm Radiator

3 REPLIES 3

rosefire
Level 7
The odd processor behaviors I'm seeing are most likely occurring because the California company I bought my i9-10940x from, sold me an engineering sample. The processor markings include "Intel Confidential", which according to Intel leaves no doubt. ES are Intel's tangible and intellectual property, and Intel, of course, does not provide a warranty or microcode updates for stolen property.

This thread should probably be moved to a more appropriate sub-forum.

rosefire wrote:
The odd processor behaviors I'm seeing are most likely occurring because the California company I bought my i9-10940x from, sold me an engineering sample. The processor markings include "Intel Confidential", which according to Intel leaves no doubt. ES are Intel's tangible and intellectual property, and Intel, of course, does not provide a warranty or microcode updates for stolen property.

This thread should probably be moved to a more appropriate sub-forum.

After further investigation, this doesn't appear to be a matter of fraud, and the ASUS R6EE is vindicated as well. At any rate, Intel is replacing my i9-10940 processor based on the symptoms and the fact that the overheating problem was reproduced on two motherboards.

I'm going to restart this discussion on a more platform specific forum.

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU) is sufficiently buggy that I advise using it with skeptical caution, ideally in conjunction with other tools that can be used to confirm its output.

For reasons unknown, the problem I described in this thread went away and stayed away for a couple weeks, then returned today. After many hours changing just about every setting imaginable, starting with increasing the CPU Input Voltage (XTU displays N/A, so not sure if this works), increasing current and power limits, and Digi+ current capability, the problem was unchangedl. After hours playing with settings XTU began crashing when I displayed stored profiles (before applying them). I uninstalled and reinstalled XTU and its settings, and now the problem is once again not present. What makes bug reporting for XTU difficult is that the anomalies may result from XTU, the MB/BIOS, the CPU, or combinations of these.

1) The Processor Default settings are the same as the "At Boot" settings (this setup).
2) Loading the default profile may not actually restore default settings, may restore some and not others, or load values not saved.
3) Loading saved profiles may not restore settings to their saved values.
4) Something silently prevents core ratios from increasing in response to increased settings.
5) Momentary spikes of current/EDP limiting with no apparent cause even at default settings.