cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions on MoBo.

Tech_Rat
Level 9
So, I was taking a look at way too many things at once, and came across the fact that Win7 Pro and Win7 Ultimate can support two physical processors. I was looking about, and found several decent two proc mobo's for a good rate.

Question: Any thoughts on using a server mobo for a gaming build? Best info I could find seemed several years old.
7 REPLIES 7

HiVizMan
Level 40
There will be no benefit to gaming at all. If you are folding 24/7 then yes.

Why would you want to go that route? 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Tech_Rat
Level 9
So, rockin' out with two six-core CPUs HT'd, running 4.1GHz per core wouldn't be productive?

Because I could. 🙂

Tech_Rat wrote:
So, rockin' out with two six-core CPUs HT'd, running 4.1GHz per core wouldn't be productive?

Because I could. 🙂

You are my kind of guy.

Sadly no there will be no gains in gaming at all. It is all about the optimisation of the game/application and currently dual threads are about it. The quads and hex core CPU's just allow you to have background stuff going on without any hit in performance.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Tech_Rat
Level 9
'Tis a shame. I guess I could build it if I ever needed a dedicated server. Now I'm stuck wondering what a ROG class dual-proc, SLI ready MoBo would look like, what with them now implementing a water cooler design on some boards.

X-ROG
Level 15
Yea you can use it for gaming and some still have SLI/CF support, but like HiVis said the extra CPU adds nothing to your game.

Check this out if you want a pro dual-CPU board: http://rog.asus.com/80332012/overclocking/asus-z9pe-d8-ws-dual-socket-lga2011-with-a-dash-of-overclo...

Bear in mind the CPU cost as well, cause 2 CPUs require Xeons.

Tech_Rat
Level 9
Well, since it adds nothing... Would it detract from? Some(outdated) research claims the MoBos have chip speed limits. If this is true, then not only would it be a pricey idea, but a bad one as well.

I'm not so knowledgable on everything OC related, I've just been a rig builder, and always worked within pre set limits(none of my clients ever really needed much).

HiVizMan
Level 40
Let me put it this way. I will out perform a dual CPU rig in 99% of all games and applications with an 2500K and a moderately good air cooler, the single socket will over-clock much better if my time with the SR1 is anything to go by and it will cost me a whole heap less grief in trying to get the system stable, oh and a whole lot less money too. For performance in games you simply want a CPU that will allow the full potential of he VGA to be used.