cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question before doing a manual OC

TheRock
Level 7
Hi All,

I done the quick Ez wizard overclock in the BIOS and turned on XMP and ran the AI 3 TPU fast Tuning option in the software and have my i7-7700k 4.2 to 4.6
When the system boots up it displays "overcolck09%" . Is that right?
When I seen that on bootup I started to wonder if that was a low overclocking done by the easy 1-click way?
The system is working excellent but I was wondering if I should reset all the changes I made and manually do a overclock by a guide I found?
Below is my new system:
ASUS TUF Z270 Mark 1 LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 Z270 ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80677I77700K Desktop Processor
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14D-16GTZKW
Noctua NH-D15 SSO2 D-Type Premium CPU Cooler, NF-A15 x 2 PWM Fans
SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 250GB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V6E250B

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
11 REPLIES 11

Chino
Level 15

Thank you for the reply Chino.
I am new to overclocking so should I set everything to default first before doing the manual overclock guide?
I was thinking about only trying to achieve 4.7 or 4.8 I don't want to max it out to a 5. Well at least I don't at this time until I read and understand a lot more first.
I know I have a bit to learn and am reading some when I get a chance 🙂

cheers

Nate152
Hi TheRock

Yep I'd reset to defaults and do it manually.

All you really need to change is the cpu core ratio and the cpu core/cache voltage and keep an eye on temps.

I delidded my cpu and got good results, here is some gameplay with temps.

Thank you very much I shall set to default and try the manual tweaking a small bit at a time.
It may be a short time before I post back because I want to read this forum bit more.

cheers

Nate152
Sure no problem.

I use HWinfo to monitor temps and voltages.

Click the picture to make it bigger.

tommiboi
Level 7
Hi TheRock,

you have nice motherboard ! your overlcoking on air. So yes do mind your temps while testing. But for you I would write down your voltatge and temps on your 4.6k OC. Then hit deafault. Re enter your values. Test it again watch temps and voltage closely. If its stable try to undervolt your OC. So step by step lower your voltage with 1 click untill you crash. Reboot put the volatge 1 click up and that should be yoru stable OC 4.6k with minimum volatge. Write those down. Go to 4.7 and increase your voltage with with 7 clicks (0.035v). If it boots run your test and watch your temps and voltage again. If it crashes plus 2 click up on voltage. test it if stable 1 click down. Not sure if you should aim above 4.7/4.8k. Since your on air. I do recommand a delid on your 7700K. Sounds very very scary but its not. Maybe even some small companies will do this alerady for a small fee. Also some people offer there service for delid online on some forums.

GL HF with your OC !
Try more, Try harder, Try and previal

Thanks for all the advice. Greatly appreciate it.
I was checking out the settings in the Bios and noticed the "Load CPU 5G OC Profile so started to read about it.
I figured if it was Asus putting the profile option there it would be safe to try 🙂
I loaded the 5G profile and it first showed 1.45v then it went to 1.35v so I figured I would boot it to test.
The 5G profile booted my system and ran smooth. I opened the AI 3 Suite and it did indeed show 5.0 and 1.35v so I assumed it was good.
But I did notice that XMP was not enabled for the tuner and my ram was not 1600.
After doing some more reading many overclockers do not recommend the 5G profile so I set it back to default and just enabled xmp for now until I am sure it will be safe to use again.

Have any of you tried the 5G OC Profile and found it to run stable?

Just letting you all know the few things I am trying before attempting the manual way 🙂
I have installed HWINFO64 and the Core # clock are showing 4,500 and Core # vid 1.211v. That is with XMP I assume 🙂

cheers

Hi Again,
I took the plunge to try manual OC and am now testing my system at 4.8 MHz , voltage at 1.250 and happy so far with CPU temp at 30C, Vcore 37C, mobo 30C CPU fan at 192 -194 rpm
I set the RAM manually and it is now displaying 3200 and in HWINFO64 at 1600 and not 1066, so looks to be all good.
The system seems to be running stable so I will leave it there for a while and monitor to see how it performs.

Thanks again for all the help here. I will continue to read here to get more knowledge.

cheers

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
I am also on the same process, but on z270 hero ix with a 6700k. rock solid 4.6 so far with 1.28volts. I am trying to get the 7700k to make a good use to the board, but since is so stable and perform just right for me i am thinking about. I got a good professor that help me understand a few key points. All my oc was done by a friend. I just want to learn. someday i will understand all these UEFI selections. Asus have pack a lot of it. I will try to push it more later a soon i am happy but for these 6700k i am ok with 4.7. here is what i have done so far. and no delid.

66124 it.
Learn, Play Enjoy!