cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Sata port 5/6

Zero_exe
Level 10
MOBO: Crosshair 5 Formula

I set my sata in bios to Raid. Im using ports 1/2/3 to Raid 3 SSD Drives.

I plugged my WD Caviar Black into Pot 5. But the Bios wont pick it up.
My Optical Drive is plugged into Sata 6 and works just fine.

How does that work?
"Did anyone else make it? ... Just Dust and Echoes"
19 REPLIES 19

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello zero.exe quick question why not just plug your new hard drive into SATA 4?

Or do you specifically want your hard drive on a different controller?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Zero_exe
Level 10
Hm? Good question. The reason is cuz I remember reading on this forum something about if you make a raid config, ports 1-4 Cant be used unless used by Raid Drive. So i used port 5

Shouldn't it work regardless what controller i use? I dont know why its not detecting the HDD at all.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yes it does work regardless of your controller used. I have RAID on ports 1 and 2 and two 3tb storage drives on the others. All my drives are picked up.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Zero_exe
Level 10
K well i just tried using port 4, and noting. Wont even detect in bios.

Hard Drive works. It even has an existing copy of windows on it installed on this computer before I set up my Raid. Any ideas as to why my mobo wont detect the HDD?

HiVizMan
Level 40
It could be that when you installed that hard drive you had your SATA set to some other mode? That might explain why it is now not detected in OS.

If you pop that drive into the other controller and enable AHCI (or what ever mode you had previously when you did the OS install) does it get picked up? If you put a dvd drive on either sata 4 or sata 5 is it picked up in BIOS?

Zero_exe
Level 10
Yes if i switch back to achi the HDD will detect.

And I tried plugging the Optical Drive into port 4, and Windows wouldn't load. Also, mouse wouldn't work. Not sure if thats related.

Edit: My controller were set to achi when the OS was installed on this drive. i Used it temporarily until my RMA ssd came in and then i installed Raid on my 3 SSD.

But even tho windows is on this drive, shouldn't my BIOS detect it?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Nope if seems not. The only way I can explain that is by suggesting that the BIOS when set to a particular mode only looks for those items that were configured while in that mode. RAID'd hard drives for example will not be seen as a single drive unless in RAID. But not quite 100% about this one. And I would be quite willing to be wrong and learn something here. So maybe some of the OS guru guys could step up and help us our here...

Menthol
Level 14
I believe he can make a registry change while that drive is in ahci to raid then reboot and make the change in the bios to raid and it will be detected again. I have done this from ide to ahci before.
http://www.gregledet.net/?p=569

Zero_exe
Level 10
Someone from another forum posted this:

"those serial ports may belong to the third party chipset. the bios will only see the drives connected to the intel chipset. so you need to install the correct drivers in windows for the 3rd party chipset."

I dont know how to make sense of that.