cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q-Code 00

agent67248
Level 7
Built a custom PC a few months back and I recently installed 8 GB more RAM to get to 16 GB. Shortly after that, I noticed the Q-Code on my motherboard started displaying "00". My manual says "not used" when I look up this code. My computer is running great, now better than ever actually. Anyone know what this code means? Google said something about the CPU, but I'm not totally sure. Specs-
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
Core i7 4790k
16 GB Patriot Viper RAM
Samsung Evo 128 GB SSD
WD 2 TB HDD
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
EVGA 700w PSU
18 REPLIES 18

Tokens210
Level 10
Yea code 00 usually but not always is a bent pin in the CPU socket, I've seen a few other ones tho not attributed to bent pins

4790k is part of the haswell series even tho its a refresh, as far as I've ever been aware haswells absolutely hate when u mix ram kits up

Caused me to wonder if u were getting the code cause maybe the memory controller on the CPU is acting up do to mixed ram kits

If u remove the ram u just installed does the code go away??
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

agent67248
Level 7
I removed the RAM and it still displays 00. How could I have mixed up the RAM kits if I used the same type/brand of RAM for all 4 sticks? If I were to leave everything as is, is there any chance of damage being done to my system?

Tokens210
Level 10
I'm not sure if the haswell refresh had the same issue or not

But by mixing up I'm referring to you saying it had 8 gigs and then u added 8 more, so even if they are made by the same company and are the exact same series or whatever the ram is totally different, for them to be identical and tested to work together properly they would have both had to have come in the same package from the manufacturer listed typically as a kit, but again I'm not sure if refresh CPUs had the same issue

I'd wait to see if anyone else chimes in but if its all working correctly im not sure of what u should do or if it will damage anything
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

Am having trouble with my new build to, at first it was q-code 00 but after rehooking wires it went away. But now everytime I start up pc I get 2-red leds for Vga, and a 5A code which is internal cpu error. It only last like a second then goes away. I took everything out including CPU checked everything reseated everything. Same thing, reseted bios, updated bios did it all. I even ran a stress test from intel on the cpu it passed perfect. I don't do overclocking but my CPU does run 3900mhz no matter that I got it set at mim 1200 and max 3400. I played Assassins Creed Black Flag at highest setting, runs perfect. My temp at stress test is 35c. Any ideas would be highly appreciated this is my very first build so am confused. And heres what I got: Thermaltake level 10 GT case. Asus rampage IV black edition board. I7-4930k Processor. 2-GTX 760 2gb superclocked GPU in sli. 4x8gb sticks of Corsair Vengeance pro series ram 2133mhzs. Storage is a samsung 840evo SSD 1TB. PSU Evga supernova 1300GT 80plus gold. Heat sink is Hyper 212 Evo. Thanks for any help I can get.

Poddington
Level 7
00 QCode here, followed all of the steps - multiple times, and as soon as I switch out the i74790K, the system boots up just fine - it is driving me crazy and no one seems to have an answer, even though it has and is happening to hundreds of people, maybe thousands!

Poddington wrote:
as soon as I switch out the i74790K, the system boots up just fine

If I understand correctly one CPU gives 00 but changing to another enables you to boot?

If that is the case the most likely explanation is that the CPU is dead.

00 will be seen on a normal boot for a second among many other boot codes...

If the board hangs on 00 though it is usually a sign of problems....sometimes with power delivery...often with CPU itself.

ShrimpBrime
Level 7
If memory serves me correctly, 00 code is no cpu detected.

In some cases, PSU is weak, test it. In some other cases, Cpu and motherboard pins are not making good contact and the processor may need a reseat in the board.

Poddington
Level 7
Guys,

For me, it is the z87 and DC 4790K issue, that many people have had and are having, i.e. they, and me too, follow all of the steps to get the DC refresh new bios onto the z87 motherboard with the intel ME firmware, yet, for many of us, the 4790K will not boot it posts 00, then when you swap for none DC, it posts fine. I have not took my 4790K to the shop yet to have it tested because like folk before me, I feel that they are going to give me the same conclusion as them - the 4790K boots up just fine. The problem is most likely to do with my bios, therefore, I plan on trying to update as many drivers as possible, I am looking into installing an intel driver updater tool, and what do you think of this.... if I go through the bios models from early to late, even start at like 9005 or whatever is the correct number and go right through to 1605. Another point is, the guy JB15 or whoever he is, had put bios onto his system via the easy flash mode, before he had success, so I am thinking about trying some troubleshoots there, for I truly believe that the problem is to found somewhere other than the i7 4790K, however, I suppose I will not truly know, until I have it tested at my local computer shop, which I may do, to put that part of the equation to rest. As I say though, other folk in my situation that did just that, found it not to be the problem and therefore, a waste of money, for although I can get it done very reasonably priced, others have found it to be a waste of money, but I suppose it will be worth it for me, just for the peace of mind. However, I also need to consider that that particular process will take me a couple of weeks possibly, due to traveling and if the tech guy would like time to test the piece.

I thank you for your replies though - do you think that getting 4790K tested would be my best next move - it certainly puts a lot of issues to rest does it not.

aziz07
Level 7
Hi,
I had this 00 problem with my brand new Maximus VI Hero back in 2014. It never booted and was brand new. Nothing fixed it, from PSU/Components/Cables replacements to all Bios versions and configurations. Since I didn't had time to look into it due to University exams, I just bought another one that worked, however, the new one wouldn't detect my 2nd VGA and only works with one card at 8x PCI-E speeds. Last week, I had enough time and courage to dig into my cabin and try fixing the non-booting board. What I found, was that applying a slight pressure on one corner on the CPU cooler made the board boot and this was repeated successfully many times! Releasing the pressure froze the system and a reboot failed with code 00 until I reapplied pressure to the same area. I inspected the CPU Socket and obviously, found some bent pins which prevented optimal contact between the board and CPU. This could create issues from instability to non-boot 00 code depending on which pin was damaged. I learned that even VSS (Ground) pins are essential for the CPU. There is some nice sockets documents on Intel website that explains what every single pin does, just google Intel socket #. Both ways, you need ALL pins for system stability and overclocking. I took out my loop glasses and shaped back the bent pins just like the other ones with the same height and angle using small forceps. Voila, the board that never worked/booted for a year now works 100% stable even with an overclock! I think that if we can use better conductive material with thicker diameter pins, we can achieve higher overclocks with water-cooling. Of course, if you fear that unbending the pins is too much of a challenge for you and you can’t have spare time, Asus can still help you even after warranty expires. Also, for damaged PCB circuits, you can use any conductive paint with a syringe e.g. eBay, just make sure both sides make contact with the equipment.
For the other board with PCI-E lanes issues, I found that one CPU socket pin was completely cut off. Since it’s a conductive metal, I cut a small copper wire with similar size/shape from an unneeded electric plug device. Using electrical conductive glue purchased from eBay, I glued the small copper piece in the broken pin’s hole and made sure it’s solid after drying. Bingo, both GPUs were detected, 8x each or one at 16x, which are the advertised PCI-E lanes speed for the Z87 Chipset. PCI-E 3.0 8x is ample for any current GPU and makes 0% improvement even for 4K+ resolutions and top GPUs like the GTX Titan: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Impact-of-PCI-E-Speed-on-Gaming-Performance-518/#4kResult...
Motherboard companies do not cover bent/damaged pins for a logical and simple reason, these are the main cause of motherboard issues and the micro pins are extremely sensitive to any pressure, even misplacing the CPU itself might bent/displace them. Imagine the number of RMAs they would receive if they did. There is an excellent Asus webpage that details what are all the types of electronics damage and what is covered/not covered but I can’t remember its address, just google it. I am confident that Asus, like other companies, will charge for complete replacement of either the socket or board as they fix the ‘’broken’’ socket by swapping it with a new one. I think informing us, consumers about socket issues, will save time, hassle, money and reputation for both parties.
I still believe that it’s a great choice to have the pins on the motherboard since CPUs are generally more expensive and much harder to fix if they had damaged pins. Now I wish that Intel releases a 14nm CPU for the Z87 Chipset. I have been working with Asus motherboards for over 16 years and now, I just got a brand new Asus Zenfone 2 Intel 2.33Ghz 4Gb RAM 64Gb smartphone, yes, Asus makes excellent smartphones too!