cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible bug in current Maximus IX Hero? or I am missing something?

mahanddeem
Level 7
Hello,
I just upgraded from Maximus VII Hero to IX Hero(0801 BIOS) with 7700K.

In my older Hero mainboard, My PC used to boot from my SSD (no.1 in boot order and in boot override, no.2 is my HDD). Even when I have a USB thumb drive connected to PC when I boot, It always boots from my SSD(unless I format SSD and it will say no boot device error).
Now with the IX, I can't seem to find the option to make PC ALWAYS boot from my SSD C driver, it always checks and boots first from USB flash driver(if it is bootable), THEN it boots from SSD if no USB drive is connected.

This is annoying when installing windows from flash disk, because when the first part of Windows install finishes and PC reboots, it should start booting from SSD and not AGAIN from USB drive.

Is this a bug or some BIOS option am I missing?

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

Chino
Level 15
You can find the options to modify the boot list in the Boot tab in the BIOS.

As for installing Windows, just disconnect the USB pendrive when it restarts.

I had the same issue today. I had to pull the thumb drive out before the 1st reboot. Then all went along normally. Have you checked the CSM settings? I set "boot for storage devices" to UEFI first and "Secure boot" to Other OS, since I installed Windows 7.

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
This shouldn't be an issue for most users. How many of us actually reformat our computers every week? lol

Not on my weekly todo list.

When you install an OS set boot device to the drive you will be installing your OS on and use F8 during boot to select the OS media, on reboot it should boot to the OS drive

Menthol wrote:
Not on my weekly todo list.

When you install an OS set boot device to the drive you will be installing your OS on and use F8 during boot to select the OS media, on reboot it should boot to the OS drive

That's what I'm exactly doing. If you read my OP.
Still, I have to run to disconnect Windows USB stick before first reboot for Windows install.

Menthol
Level 14
I guess I am stubborn or hard headed but I use a USB DVD drive to install my OS, no issues so I do see a reason to change what works
I typically use the provided disk drive to install drivers (if it's a new system), just check the drivers I want to install and let it do it's thing, always works
I have installed from USB thumb drive but I seem to format them to transfer files so as Long as I have an OS ISO image burnt to a disk I use that